Q & A Session... - Ask a Ford Dealer

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Several times in the past I ordered a car through dealer in Oregon. Saving the huge 9% California sales tax as long as I do not bring the car into California before it has the required number of miles on it.
Enabling me to avoid that tax and register it as used.

Do dealers have any problems with these types of tax avoidance schemes? It's frowned upon in California but if you cross every "t" and dot every "i" they have to allow it. Last car I did it on saved me $5245 in fees and taxes.

How many miles does the car have to have on it to avoid the tax?
Don't they give you a certain number of days to register it once it's driven back into ca or are they'd counted from the purchase date?

Dusten

Established Member
Washington avoids that scam by charging a usage tax on vehicles coming in the state that you've owned less than 90 days

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
As an employee of the parent company for Autotrader, I'd like to thank you for the business!

Multi-quote has made forums so much easier over the past several years. I used to hate cutting and pasting

Yeah, I love the multi quote feature. The only reason I didn't use it this time around because I read the entire thread over a course of a day and had more questions come up than I thought. I would have edited the original post of mine but then you run the risk of the OP reading it before you get a chance to Edit it and thus them not seeing the edited portion.

Thanks for the response 13Cobra.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
13Cobra,

Say I found a car that your dealership has, I really like it, its highly sought after. What are the steps I need to do to make sure its mine? Chances are the car I'm looking for will be out of state.

Do I need to talk to a general manager? Make a wire deposit? What guarantees do I have that they wont end up selling the car while I'm in the air travel to out of state dealership?

Thanks in advance.

-jerome

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
13Cobra,

Say I found a car that your dealership has, I really like it, its highly sought after. What are the steps I need to do to make sure its mine? Chances are the car I'm looking for will be out of state.

Do I need to talk to a general manager? Make a wire deposit? What guarantees do I have that they wont end up selling the car while I'm in the air travel to out of state dealership?

Thanks in advance.

-jerome
You put a deposit on the vehicle. Some dealerships require anywhere from a couple hundred bucks up to a couple grand, depending on the vehicle and the amount of time you're asking them to hold it for you.

Zemedici

Established Member
Kneepads not included? ahah Wow thats ridiculous. Makes me hate salesmen even more.

Nah, he just had a HUGE clientele, and had been there some 20 odd years. 40 year old 6'6 350lb black dude, hahahaha you'd think he was a bit intimidating, but all the customers loved him, said he was like a big teddy bear.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Nah, he just had a HUGE clientele, and had been there some 20 odd years. 40 year old 6'6 350lb black dude, hahahaha you'd think he was a bit intimidating, but all the customers loved him, said he was like a big teddy bear.
Is there anything else that you wanna tell us? ahah

Users who are viewing this thread