Question about aftermarket blower belt tensioners

wickedcobra99

Established Member
Do people buy aftermarket tensioners like the thump racing or other heavy duty tensioners because it increases the tension on the belt more than the stock tensioner? Or because it is able to maintain the same tension as stock but handle more abuse?

The reason I am asking is because I have read that too much tension can be bad but a friend of mine swears on everything that I am going to need a tensioner like a thump racing one with my ported eaton setup that I am putting on otherwise I am going to see major belt slip.

When the ported eaton goes on I will have three 90 mm idlers and a 100 mm idler next to the crank and billet flow 2.76 non-slip sc pulley. I figured this would be enough. I don't want to spend $300+ on a tensioner if it's going to cause bearings to go bad because of too much tension with my 74 5/8 in belt.

Last edited:

SVTXTC

Established Member
I would venture to say they buy them for both of the reasons you listed. I purchased my thump RRR to help eliminate belt slip. Metco makes a nice tensioner brace plate but if you'll go for more HP in the future it may just be worth it to buy the upgraded tensioner.

I know that UPR isn't a paid vendor on here, but I just looked and it seems they sell I dual 3 bolt tensioner for around the thump price. I did a search and couldn't find anyone who reviewed it's performance and saw a comment saying those threads get deleted? Anyone have any thoughts since he is in the market?

WHITESTRIPES

Established Member
For your setup you'll definitely be fine with the stock tensioner, tons of people have this setup with ZERO slip, myself included.

bigmoose

Established Member
For your setup you'll definitely be fine with the stock tensioner, tons of people have this setup with ZERO slip, myself included.
I agree. My two old cobras both had 2.76" upper with 2/4# lower on a ported Eaton. I had the stock tensioner without any belt slip

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
I run the metco brace. with my ported eaton 2.9/6 lb lower setup I had slip when power shifting. the brace got rid of the flex and fixed that issue. it didn't slip other than that though.

wickedcobra99

Established Member
Thanks for the info. My tuner is from CA (I am in KS) and he was going to come into town and tune my car on the weekend at the track. If there is by chance slip such as at high rpm's, will he be able to tune the car 100% or not?

broke7

Stock IRS Guru
Established Member
He can tune the car....

If your belt is slipping with a stock tensioner and that pulley combo your issue is with belt sizing.

I used to swear by the stock tensioner with a Metco brace until I bought one of the UPR Billet Tensioners, wont go back. I also had the metco brace as well, still doesnt prevent the end of the arm from getting bent, it does help with deflection a tad.

Tractionless1

Established Member
Witnessed an OE tensioner on a VMP TVS car at Bradenton run 9.65 w/out belt slip. You're "friend" saying your ported blower is going to slip needs an education in belt sizing. 18psi on a ported eaton here and spray, with OE tensioner = zero slip.

wickedcobra99

Established Member
Witnessed an OE tensioner on a VMP TVS car at Bradenton run 9.65 w/out belt slip. You're "friend" saying your ported blower is going to slip needs an education in belt sizing. 18psi on a ported eaton here and spray, with OE tensioner = zero slip.

I wish I knew what his idler pulley setup and belt size was. What is yours?

Users who are viewing this thread