question about buying a used KB / Whipple ?

buy a used or new blower ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

68_GT

Terminated '98
Established Member
who all has done this ?

good or / bad idea ?

where did you get it from ?

how to know if it's good or not ?

what's a good deal for one ? or is it better to just save a little more for a new one ?

just thinking out loud

lastly can a KB / Whipple make +600 to the wheels w/o a lower pulley ? or is that still needed ? considering all the costs associated with a 600 RWHP goal.

TORQJNKY

who all has done this? My first Whipple was used and I had no issues. I say first because I eventually sold that one and bought a new GEN2 2.3 Whipple.

good or / bad idea? Good idea, if you can find a low mileage used blower in good shape. It can save you a lot of cash to put towards other supporting modifications to get to your 600RWHP goal. Bad idea, if the blower you buy used has issues.

where did you get it from? I bought used off the forum and bought new from Steve at Tousley Ford (Vendor on here). I had a good experience both ways.

how to know if it's good or not? No way to really know if the used blower is good or not other than taking the word of the seller. Unless you want to go through the hassle of sending it off to Whipple or KB to have tested prior to buying it at your expense. I doubt the seller would do that in most cases.

what's a good deal for one? or is it better to just save a little more for a new one? You will just have to do some shopping around. I've seen used 2.3 Whipples go for anywhere between $2200-$3200 depending on finish, age, and GEN.

lastly can a KB / Whipple make +600 to the wheels w/o a lower pulley? or is that still needed? Yes indeed with about 17-18psi on pump gas but that is dependant on what Octane pump gas you have available. Most guys with 91 Octane struggle to make 600WHP.

Buying new, if you have the extra cash is always a good idea but used can save you money. You are less likely to run into issues with new and if you do you have a better chance of getting it fixed worry free. Hope this helps some.

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
who all has done this? My first Whipple was used and I had no issues. I say first because I eventually sold that one and bought a new GEN2 2.3 Whipple.

good or / bad idea? Good idea, if you can find a low mileage used blower in good shape. It can save you a lot of cash to put towards other supporting modifications to get to your 600RWHP goal. Bad idea, if the blower you buy used has issues.

where did you get it from? I bought used off the forum and bought new from Steve at Tousley Ford (Vendor on here). I had a good experience both ways.

how to know if it's good or not? No way to really know if the used blower is good or not other than taking the word of the seller. Unless you want to go through the hassle of sending it off to Whipple or KB to have tested prior to buying it at your expense. I doubt the seller would do that in most cases.

what's a good deal for one? or is it better to just save a little more for a new one? You will just have to do some shopping around. I've seen used 2.3 Whipples go for anywhere between $2200-$3200 depending on finish, age, and GEN.

lastly can a KB / Whipple make +600 to the wheels w/o a lower pulley? or is that still needed? Yes indeed with about 17-18psi on pump gas but that is dependant on what Octane pump gas you have available. Most guys with 91 Octane struggle to make 600WHP.

Buying new, if you have the extra cash is always a good idea but used can save you money. You are less likely to run into issues with new and if you do you have a better chance of getting it fixed worry free. Hope this helps some.

Can't ask for much more than that!

Sho Off

Member of the 600 Club
Established Member
1. My Whipple was bought used off of SVTP forums, and was used for a build up and tester article for MM&FF when they were first out. Old owner sold me everything I needed including supporting mods. Was a great deal.

I made 602 RWHP with a 17 psi pulley (usually see 19 psi). Stock bottom end, stock heads/cams. 93 Octane tune with 17 deg. of timing.

Added Kooks LTs last summer and added 30 RWHP to it.

Jroc

Established Member
For the money people try and command for used blower I say piss on that shit. Spend a little more on a brand new blower and buy a Whipple from Tousley for $3,200.

When people are trying to get $2,800/$2,900 for a used blower thats got 15,000/20,000 miles on it thats BS when you can spend 3 or 4 hundred more and get a brand new one.

IMO a used blower should be worth maybe $2K at the very most if its got some decent miles on it, and even less if it has had to be rebuilt when you can get a brand spanking new one for barely over $3K.

JMO.

Last edited:

02reaper

Established Member
For the money people try and command for used blower I say piss on that shit. Spend a little more on a brand new blower and buy a Whipple from Tousley for $3,200.

When people are trying to get $2,800/$2,900 for a used blower thats got 15,000/20,000 miles on it thats BS when you can spend 3 or 4 hundred more and get a brand new one.

IMO a used blower should be worth maybe $2K at the very most if its got some decent miles on it, and even less if it has had to be rebuilt when you can get a brand spanking new one for barely over $3K.

JMO.

Good point. +1

GodStang

Established Member
Last two friends that bought used blowers both had them crapped. The Whipple 2.3L crapped within like 2 miles and he had to pay over $1000 to get it fixed. He ended up having way more in it than he would if he bought it new.

MROD

Established Member
Just got mine from Steve at Tousley. $3209 shipped. Ive read about to many people getting bad used blowers and then having to send them in for $750 minimium for a rebuild. Buy new!

68_GT

Terminated '98
Established Member
kinda what I have been thinking. Should be $2k max for a used blower :shrug:

My delimma is spending money for a lower pulley, more blower port work, and new rear gears to get where I want, or start saving for a whipple and keep my 327 gears and t56 combo lol I had 373 gear until I swapped my solid 03 rear for a SN95 rear now I'm not liking the power loss with the 327 gears which actually I have gotten used to and don't hate near as much as I did the first drive I had with them in.

Last edited:

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
I'm glad I bought mine used as I save about 800 for the supporting mods...it's different, look used for a while and if you don't find anything, get one new if you can afford it...the little things add up, and before I knew it, I had spend a lot on my TS setup...

johncr250

Established Member
I was just about to buy a KB 2.6 from a guy on here a few weeks ago. It was supposed to be a couple of months old have have only 500 miles it. He sent me a link for video with the blower on the car running and it sounded good until my friend pointed out that the video was posted on the site over 18 months ago. When I asked him about it he finally admitted that he`s had it "a while" but it still has low miles.

I passed on that one!

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
got my 2.2 for 2600 shipped, the thing came to me BRAND NEW! you could eat off the rotors!

That's like winning the Lottery...
My rotors were in great shape too on the 2.2 I picked up...it's a sick blower, however, If I did go whipple, I agree with the above posts, to buy the 2.3 new as people want way too much for them used!

brian97cobra

The Infractionator
Established Member
as others have stated i would research a lot before you buy a used one. but i feel you can get some great deals you just have to look for them

ShadowFist

Wave Existence
Established Member
I got lucky with mine. $1100 shipped for my KB2.2, but it definitely needed a rebuild so the previous owner shipped it directly to KB. Overall, spent ~$2100 for a practically brand new 2.2

If you have patience, you will find the good deals :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread