Question about why I was stopped

Status
Not open for further replies.

kjkcsvt

Established Member
I have a little issue with a ticket I recently recieved and am wondering if I can fight the ticket based on a technicality of the stop.

I got a window tint ticket on a car that I recently bought, the tint was already on the car and after being stopped I found out it was illegal. I'm not trying to get out of the ticket, just the way the stopped was performed.

I was pulling onto 494 in minneapolis and was flagged over by a plymouth police officer. I wasn't speeding, I didn't run a red light, etc... They had police officers from two different cities and troopers pulling people over. They were not stopping all cars and it appeared they were not stopping cars a random intervals. I wound up being stopped on an entrance ramp to the freeway by being finger pointed over to the shoulder. The cop came up and asked for my license and reg and ins, which I gave him. He also asked me to roll my window back up partially and boom I was busted.

Is there a way I can fight this? Did the officer have a legal reason to stop me? Where can I go to find information on the law? Did he have probable cause? Or should I just pay up and be over with it.

Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

Hockeyman48

Established Member
random checks are legal.You might be able to get an extended time frame to remove illegal tint due to you purchasing the car w/tint on it, but expect to be removing it.

pissstain

Banned
Welcome to Communist China. It's either that, or cities are trying to make up for the lost income due to the recession by using petty tactics and ticketing the HELL out of honest citizens.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Welcome to Communist China. It's either that, or cities are trying to make up for the lost income due to the recession by using petty tactics and ticketing the HELL out of honest citizens.

There would be no ticket if the law wasn't broken.

pissstain

Banned
Sure a law was broken. His tint was too dark. But if i were the cop i'd and the guy told me it was a fairly new car i'd cut him a little slack.

Last edited:

lowflyn

Found my 03sbvert...
Established Member
Tried to do some research real fast, but by the story you just told tint must be a primary offense in MN. It's the same way here in MS. I can be driving perfectly legal and be pulled over for nothing more than window tint. They're just enforcing the laws.

Easy fix for you...pull the tint off and carry the car to the court for them to see. No more problems.

FordSVTFan

Established Member
Sure a law was broken. His tint was too dark. But if i were the cop i'd and the guy told me it was a fairly new car i'd cut him a little slack.

Wow, that sure is different from your original post.

pissstain said:
Sure a law was broken. His tint was too dark. QUICK, SOMEBODY CALL THE CAVALRY!!!

Whats illegal tint worth these days, 15 to life??? Get real.

Yes his tint was too dark and a law was broken, that is all that was said. Good job at leaping to calling the cavalry and a sentence of 15 to life.

I got real when I simply stated he broke the law. :rolleyes:

pissstain

Banned
I know, it was a dick response, which is why i edited it, sorry. I got nailed with the "your tints too dark" ticket 3 months ago here in Florida, and i'm still fuming.

FordSVTFan

Established Member
I know, it was a dick response, which is why i edited it, sorry. I got nailed with the "your tints too dark" ticket 3 months ago here in Florida, and i'm still fuming.

Who are you upset with? Yourself for having illegal tint or the officer for doing his job?

pissstain

Banned
It starts with the person with the illegal tint for sure. But, if i were a cop, i would never pull somebody over explicitly because of the tint.

Now, if i had been racing, or ran a redlight, and, after having me pulled over, he noticed the tint and wanted to put the screws to me a little more, then by all means, have at it.

GNGREN

Established Member
It starts with the person with the illegal tint for sure. But, if i were a cop, i would never pull somebody over explicitly because of the tint.

Now, if i had been racing, or ran a redlight, and, after having me pulled over, he noticed the tint and wanted to put the screws to me a little more, then by all means, have at it.

You know there are instances where a little petty stop will actually get a pretty bad criminal off the street. Think back to the Sniper shootings around 02 in the DC area. They were caught sleeping at a rest stop if I recall and thats how they were busted. A personal case. My daughters god father, was an MP in Achorage. Pulled a couple guys over because they didn't turn off their high beams when driving towards him. Pulls them over sees a gun in the car. Bam the guys are wanted for murder and get convicted. What makesthe tint issue any different? If you don't give-em a reason to pull you over they won't.[rant...off]

FordSVTFan

Established Member

Policy in L.E. ebb and flow like most things in the world of politics/government. Officers dont make policy they are simply forced to follow it. If the dept/agency set out a mandate to enforce tint laws the officer must do it.

On the other hand, I have approproached suspicious vehicles at night where the car has illegal tint and I cant see into the car. That creates a dangerous situation for both the occupants of the car and myself.

You keep saying "if you were a cop you would never pull someone over explicitly for tint" that selective enforcement might be within your level of discretion or then again it might not. That will be dictated by the agency/dept you work for.

It is amazing the difference between your perspective as a civilian and your perspective as a L.E.O. I have known quite a few officers that have changed a lot of their opinions they held as a civilian after experiencing the L.E. environment.

The thing to remember is anytime you are knowingly violating the law you are creating P.C. for a traffic stop.

FastEddie09

Established Member
Question................If i get pulled over and my windows are down already, and the officer asks me to roll up my window.............can i refuse?

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
Question................If i get pulled over and my windows are down already, and the officer asks me to roll up my window.............can i refuse?

sure you can rufuse...but i would assume that you're gonna end up rolling them up one way or the other

fiveohpoepoe

Established Member

This is a big IF.IF laws werent broken,there would be no need for leo.In your profession,IF you made a different choice than the one you actually made,there would be a different outcome....

xenodragon

Established Member
This is your problem, Minnesota + 494....i got pulled over for doing 64 in a 60 on 494 in the right lane, with people passing me on the left...

Its seriously just that road, i avoid it at all costs

Last edited:

oldmodman

Established Member
Why is it necessary to write a ticket on it at all?

The officer can always tell the driver that the tint is illegal and to have it removed. And tell the driver that a "note" will be placed in his "file" and if he is pulled over again with darkly tinted windows THEN he will be cited.

This will in most cases get the desired result. The tint will be removed. And you won't have one more driver out there that has just developed a less that favorable opinion of "The Law"

No ticket, back on the road in three minutes or less, and a more favorable outcome all around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread