Question for fellow detailers

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
I'm trying to figure out where I am vs where I need to be with my processes. I recently started subcontracting for a company in Tampa- I'm in Jax. They are saying a full detail, which includes: wash, clay, polish, wax/seal, wheels, tires, barrels, trim and glass, inside and out, carpet shampoo/stain removal, leather treatment if applicable (basically full interior / full exterior minus compounding) should be 2-2.5 hours. I'm 3.5 - 4 hours. Am I slow or is he being unrealistic?

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
No way any type of quality can be done that fast. He is being unrealistic IMO.

Thanks! I thought I was losing my mind for a moment there. I managed to do a one step on a newer Altima in 3 hours - but it didn't need much. Today I did a 2013 Highlander in just under 5 hours- I felt like I was hurrying. Both customers were happy though so that's the important part to me.

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
No way any type of quality can be done that fast. He is being unrealistic IMO.
I'm not a professional but, FWIW, I agree. 2-2.5 hrs is unrealistic for what amounts to a full interior / full exterior (minus compounding).

Thanks! I thought I was losing my mind for a moment there. I managed to do a one step on a newer Altima in 3 hours - but it didn't need much. Today I did a 2013 Highlander in just under 5 hours- I felt like I was hurrying. Both customers were happy though so that's the important part to me.
You're definitely not losing your mind. Your focus on customer satisfaction is spot-on!

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
How many detailers is the shop putting on your car? With 2-3 guys I can see a full correction, interior/exterior detail with any extras being done in a few hours.

Minimum detail for me on any car is 8-10 hours without any kind of correction. Just cleaning and touching up the interior/engine bay/exterior. If I add a full correction it is usually another 10 ours including prep time. Depends on the car, though.

oldmodman

Established Member
What a laugh. I have spent 3 hours on a set of wheels.

A full weekend on a two stage compound, polish, and coating.

I would like to see the 2.5 hour detail after the first two bucket wash to remove all the fillers.

Franco

Established Member
Takes me 4 -5 hours on average size cars 5-6 on trucks. And I don't think I'm slow. Paint correction is def 10-12 hours. Also keep in mind I'm a one man show

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
How many detailers is the shop putting on your car? With 2-3 guys I can see a full correction, interior/exterior detail with any extras being done in a few hours.

Minimum detail for me on any car is 8-10 hours without any kind of correction. Just cleaning and touching up the interior/engine bay/exterior. If I add a full correction it is usually another 10 ours including prep time. Depends on the car, though.

The detailers he uses are independent contractors who are one man shows. I'd love to have some help but it wouldn't be profitable for what he pays. Right now I'm just getting my name out there locally. I already have 3 other details setup from the customers I've contacted- but through my personal company- not the guy I'm contracting for.

For the purposes of what I do for this company I don't do actual shampooing or compounding. As mentioned, doing those steps correctly adds lots of time. Engine bay and undercarraige are not a service I provide (although I'll do the engine bay for extra $ - it's easy $)

To save time on the interior, I will wash the floor mats, do spot stain removal, thoroughly vacuum and dress the interior. On the exterior, I clay during the wash process and I do a one step on the paint. I use an orange or yellow pad so I actually get some decent correction - and I will do some occasional compounding as an additional service for extra $. As long as the customer understands it will add time to the detail. So far my longest using this process was on an 06 LX470 that took 6 hours.

These clients here in Florida are different than the majority of my clients in Japan, where I detailed for 4 years. Most of my clients in Japan were enthusiasts and were very particular on what they wanted- most of my exterior details too 4-7 hours there. But that was compounding and sealing - not just polishing and waxing.

Last edited:

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
What a laugh. I have spent 3 hours on a set of wheels.

A full weekend on a two stage compound, polish, and coating.

I would like to see the 2.5 hour detail after the first two bucket wash to remove all the fillers.

No doubt - I'd love to watch what his other detailers do.

The only thing I can think of is they just wash, machine apply some wax and vacuum the interior.

kodexkustoms

Established Member
I did my girls jeep liberty before we left for vacation. Wheels, tires, decon wash, iron-x soak, clay, sealed with sonax net shield, polished windshield and rear window and applied two coats of net shield to both (not overly impressed by net shield on glass BTW). By the time I was done dressing the trim I had close to 5.5-6 and hadn't touched the interior. I by no means took my time on it. It just takes time to do it right.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
There are things I do to save time - and 4 of the vehicles I did had coatings so the amount of time spent on paint decon was negligible. I also use a nanoskin wash mitt which saves a TON of time over using a clay bar. And because I wash and paint decon at the same time I can usually complete the exterior wash process to include windows, wheels, barrels, wheel and wheel wells within an hour at most. I have an Air Force motorcycle air blaster to get water out of wheels and other nooks and crannies - it works AWESOME on interiors as well- it cuts drying time significantly as well as blasts crap out of hard to reach places on the inside of the vehicle. I also have several wheel brushes that allows for significantly reduces time spent on cleaning wheels, barrels and arches. All these tools and processes cuts my time exponentially - so when I am doing production detailing like this it makes it somewhat profitable and worthwhile. 2-2.5 hours though is just ridiculous.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread