questions about GA laws

cjw4g63

Established Member
I don't know if this is the right place to be posting this,im sorry if its not. i was wanting to know if i could get some light shined on some laws. well or see what you other GA guys are getting away with as of right now i live in IN and almost no automotive laws here that they enforce. When my family and i move to GA i was wondering about the tinting laws. can i get away with 2% or 5% window tint? Can i keep my headlights and tail lights smoked as long as there visible from a distance? Can i have colored lights(blue HID lights) and a white/blue coloring lisc plate light. Can i have lisc plate tint cover as long as its still visible? Exhaust or sound laws and is there a emissions i will need to pass?

gamatt

Whine Connoisseur
Established Member
Of course like anywhere there is the law and then there is what the usually enforce. For window tint, my current car and fox body before that had 20% tint and I've never been stopped. Law is 35% sides and rear.

Don't know about light tinting and hid light stuff, but I see them running around all the time so they must not be that strict.

For emissions if you live in one of the counties that encompass Atlanta and the metro area you have to get emissions. It's not as strict as some states though. My fox body had cheap UPR cats and the e-cam and passed with no prob. Cars 25 yrs old and older do not have to get tested.

Hope that helps

cjw4g63

Established Member
your current car have sides and rear tent 20%? Yes this def helped. Im sure it wont be a huge deal modding my car out in GA,some ppl here in Indiana made it sound terrible but honestly probably from years and years ago..sure there not even that strict on it. Thank you very much!

Zemedici

Established Member
I've had 15% on all of my cars except for the cobra, and I've never had a problem.

Very rarely, if you're just minding your own business and driving the car like a normal human being, not like a bat out of hell, will a cop pull you over for window tint. Just dont draw attention to yourself and you'll be fine :beer:

The tinting of lights is all over the place here, and same applies as above, dont attract negative attention.

I have 6k HID headlights in my cobra, as well as LED license plate lights, and have never had a problem with LEOs due to the lighting.

Emissions depends on what county you're moving to. I have emissions, so every year I have to swap my midpipe to get emissions, then swap the O/R one back on.

Last edited:

cjw4g63

Established Member
awesome! thank you so much for the advice/input guys,makes me feel a lot better. Hopefully we can move to a county where there's no emissions :p 3inch Mid pipe on atm lol..

Zemedici

Established Member
Is the check engine light on? My guy just asks 'got cats on there?'

I say 'yeah for today'

I wouldn't bother swapping except the cars stock so the CAL comes on, if you're tuned it shouldn't come on and as long as the guy didn't actually inspect you'd be fine

cjw4g63

Established Member
Is the check engine light on? My guy just asks 'got cats on there?'

I say 'yeah for today'

I wouldn't bother swapping except the cars stock so the CAL comes on, if you're tuned it shouldn't come on and as long as the guy didn't actually inspect you'd be fine

no check engine light. :) and damn nice haha hope i can get lucky!

RMR Cobra 3094

Established Member
Lol ive had 5% for a while, often they'll ask yoi and dont go to the trouble of measuring, but yeah 32%-35% is legal limit.

Smoked/tinted head lights are not legal, taillights are legal as long as visible from 500ft. However, I've had tinted headlights and taillights for a while now and never gotten a ticket for them when pulled over.

Blue is legal as long as the lights are DOT approved

Licence plate tint is not legal.

Emissions are easy round these parts, if your county has emissions, just get an sct chip of tuner to keep the engine codes off, or if it's just no cats, mil eliminators. Ive never had them check for cats.

These visual violations are likely not going to get you pulled over or even get you a ticket, but anything is possible.

Last edited:

cjw4g63

Established Member
awesome! Thanks so much for the input guys. What bout full windshield tint? even worth the try or stick to a brow?

Last edited:

gamatt

Whine Connoisseur
Established Member
I do see cars running around with full front tint, so like everything else, it's more something you would get added if you were pulled over for something else.

I've only had them check for cats once with my '92, the guy had the the mirror on a stick thing. Most places just want to move you through and make the next $15.

Ramairgt1

Whipped
Established Member
I moved here from NY 3 years ago ..never seen so many rusted out shit buckets with no exhaust and spewing oil all over in my life.

PhoenixGT09

"I Like the Tuna Here."
Established Member
I moved here from NY 3 years ago ..never seen so many rusted out shit buckets with no exhaust and spewing oil all over in my life.

Constructive input right there.

OP, as the others stated, you should be fine with what you're wanting to do to your car. Just don't be a jerk about it. Once you move down here, you should definitely try to come out with some of us for a show or cruise. What kind of vehicle do you have?

cjw4g63

Established Member
again thank you guys for all the input its much appreciated. I have a 2000 mustang gt. not much done to it,just fixed some rust on it with more to go :( but in time hoping for Nitrous as a nice goto juice for now. Iv got other things to work on the car first though. Id love to come out and cruise and go to some shows with you guys.

mysteed

Established Member
I've had 5% window tint on my Cobra for the past 3 years and have yet to be asked about it by an officer of the law.

Users who are viewing this thread