Quick & easy test for belt slip.

03SoCalCobra

HIGH PSI 03
Established Member
Huntington Beach, CA (h), Culver City (w)
I've tried this on and off for a while and it's a great indicator of how bad belt slip is or is not. Sometimes the slip is more than your realize- and watching the boost gauge is not a good way to tell necessarly, nor is dust around the pulley. My belt starts slipping gradually over a long period of time, so I tend not to notice the power drop (i've experimented with this trick on new belts and it makes no difference at all).

Now, i'm sure there is SOME negative to this trick- so please feel free to point it out; however i've been doing it on and off for 3 years with no ill effects that i can tell so far.

Belt dressing. Make sure to get the stuff for serpentine belts (it'll say on the can if it's not for use on automotive serpentine belts). A few quick shots on the inside (grooves) side of the belt while the car idles, then let it idle for a few minutes to let the dressing cure - it's a semi-tacky/sticky white fluid (don't go there :lol: ). Then, take it for a drive.

If your belt is slipping any meaningful amount, you'll immediently be able to tell a difference- the dressing (should) all but prevent any slip at all (at least for several weeks). Even if your peak boost still looks good but you have some miles on the belt, try it. It'll either make little to no difference or feel like you just added a 40 shot (seriously, the first time I tried it i was blown away by the difference it made).

knowfreed0m

Blown Is Better
Established Member
Wow thx for the info, seems like a good idea.
Can I just walk into Autozone (or any other place) and ask or Serpentine belt dressing? If so how much is it I wanna try this out...

dougwg

Established Member
03SoCalCobra said:
Now, i'm sure there is SOME negative to this trick- so please feel free to point it out; however i've been doing it on and off for 3 years with no ill effects that i can tell so far.

only Negative that I can see is getting the dressing all over .... but I guess as long as you're careful it's cool...

NEW MOD

"The Belt Dressing Mod™" ;-)

knowfreed0m

Blown Is Better
Established Member
knowfreed0m said:
Can I just walk into Autozone (or any other place) and ask for Serpentine belt dressing? If so how much is it I wanna try this out...
Anyone know the answer to this ^^?

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
i wonder if this makes the blower noise any louder at idle/driving through rpms/ or WOT.

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
dougwg said:
only Negative that I can see is getting the dressing all over .... but I guess as long as you're careful it's cool...

NEW MOD

"The Belt Dressing Mod™" ;-)

Doug - how did you get that "TM" to come out as a superscript like that? (Off topic, I know, but this would be useful to know how to put in subscripts and superscripts.)

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
Black2003Cobra said:
Doug - how did you get that "TM" to come out as a superscript like that? (Off topic, I know, but this would be useful to know how to put in subscripts and superscripts.)

Start|Programs|Accessories|System Tools|Character Map

or you can hold the ALT key while typing 0153 on the numeric keypad :coolman:

knowfreed0m

Blown Is Better
Established Member
I picked up a can tonight on my way home from
Advanced Discount Auto Parts, $3.00 and it says on the back
"Use on serpentine or V-belts"
Haven't had a chance to put it on yet it's late and it's been raining all day but I'll try tommarow and report back with the info.
Heres what is looks like if anyone is intrested in buying some.... :beer:
wOTc3ODMyNnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

wOTc3ODMxNnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
JB said:
Start|Programs|Accessories|System Tools|Character Map

or you can hold the ALT key while typing 0153 on the numeric keypad :coolman:

Very cool² Thanks JB!

95YellowGTBeast

LS7killr
Established Member
knowfreed0m said:
I picked up a can tonight on my way home from
Advanced Discount Auto Parts, $3.00 and it says on the back
"Use on serpentine or V-belts"
Haven't had a chance to put it on yet it's late and it's been raining all day but I'll try tommarow and report back with the info.
Heres what is looks like if anyone is intrested in buying some.... :beer:
wOTc3ODMyNnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

wOTc3ODMxNnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

Hmmmm extremly flammable reminds me of my younger days with a lighter, oh yea good i dea i will have to try this.

Nick :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread