Quick Exhaust Question

Draiter

Established Member
Hello everyone,

Hopefully I can get a bit of direction here. I have a 13 gt500, MBRP offroad h-pipe and ford racing sport axle back. Problem - trumpets like a bitch.... I know the posible solutions - resonators or put the factory h-pipe back in. Question - stock over axle pipes are 2.75", what resonators (bullet mufflers) are people using? Are the cats on the factory high flowing enough that, other than sound, is there any major performance disadvantage to putting the stock h-pipe back on (the sport axle backs are hella loud). Yes, I've searched.......

Thanks in advance.

09Troublemaker

" That don't sound stock"
Established Member
Hello everyone,

Hopefully I can get a bit of direction here. I have a 13 gt500, MBRP offroad h-pipe and ford racing sport axle back. Problem - trumpets like a bitch.... I know the posible solutions - resonators or put the factory h-pipe back in. Question - stock over axle pipes are 2.75", what resonators (bullet mufflers) are people using? Are the cats on the factory high flowing enough that, other than sound, is there any major performance disadvantage to putting the stock h-pipe back on (the sport axle backs are hella loud). Yes, I've searched.......

Thanks in advance.

IMO your best bet is to put the factory H pipe back on which has a decent flow. You won't be able to feel a difference other than it sounding much better.

Off-road pipes with after market mufflers create a real bitch of a tone. Main reason I stayed with the factory muffs.

Good luck bra.

Ronnn

Off road H pipe factory mufflers

How did changing the H pipe and keeping the factory mufflers change the sound
Thanks
Ron

Draiter

Established Member
IMO your best bet is to put the factory H pipe back on which has a decent flow. You won't be able to feel a difference other than it sounding much better.

Off-road pipes with after market mufflers create a real bitch of a tone. Main reason I stayed with the factory muffs.

Good luck bra.

That's what I figured.
Thanks

fearthesnake

Established Member
I run the off road X pipe and stock mufflers. To me, cruising around town is pretty docile, don't really get a rumble until the 2500 RPM range and up. It gets loud obviously when wot.

Biggest difference I've noticed over after market mufflers is the deep throaty sound. That's much more evident with after market exhaust over stock mufflers.

Oh, if you plan on running mods, I would ditch the cats. Also, I noticed ur running FRPP street series mufflers and I think those are much louder than stock mufflers.
Good luck and hope this helps.

Last edited:

Draiter

Established Member
I run the off road X pipe and stock mufflers. To me, cruising around town is pretty docile, don't really get a rumble until the 2500 RPM range and up. It gets loud obviously when wot.

Biggest difference I've noticed over after market mufflers is the deep throaty sound. That's much more evident with after market exhaust over stock mufflers.

Oh, if you plan on running mods, I would ditch the cats. Also, I noticed ur running FRPP street series mufflers and I think those are much louder than stock mufflers.
Good luck and hope this helps.

Yes they are very loud. I have the basic bolt ons.
Think I'll throw the stock h back on and try that.

Thanks for the reply

MagnaFlow

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Our resonated X mufflers are popular for situations like this because they flow just as freely as the O/R pipes, but they deepen the tone and keep the volume from getting out of hand!

Last edited:

MagnaFlow

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
X muffler or X pipe? Can you post the part number?

Both actually! They are perforated X pipes within a resonated housing, so you get the benefits of both. We offer these in a handful of different sizes and diameters, but assuming your aftermarket H pipe is 3" piping, something like #12469 would work well!

1bca5d95-580d-43b7-80c7-d0c7a18ac97f_zpsr1kxqztp.png

Kapy

Established Member
Did the same thing. Put the stock mufflers back on and you will be happy. Ford Racing mufflers/Borla suck with the H pipe.

Users who are viewing this thread