quick question on my mustang???

charless96gt

Established Member
i have a 1996 mustang gt mostly stock. all i have is a pypes o/r x, flowmaster 1 chambers 2 1/2 piping, pullys, cold air intake going into the fender with k&n filter, msd coal packs, 9mm ford racing spark plug wires, and ngk iridium spark plugs and for some reason a 99-04 trans was in there when i got it:dw:. i'm going to be doing a pi swap soon and put a bbk 78mm throttle body and get it dyno tuned. i've been asking around about how much rwhp i'd get but i keep gettin stuff like around 250 or around 300 or around 320 :cuss:you get the idea but how much rwhp do you think i'd really be making?

charless96gt

Established Member
yea thats what i'm thinkin cause i think at the crank stock they make around 205 to 215 something like that so i was pretty sure it would prolly be around 250

charless96gt

Established Member
well see my speed is off on there i ordered the part i thought was messed up and the one i got was too small so i took the part to the ford place and they ran the part number and told me that it was off a 99-04 mustang trans

spike_africa

Established Member
Because you gain extra compression along with your other supporting mods, with a decent tuner I would hope you are in the 260-270rwhp rang. With similar mods and less compression in my stock Ford short block I made 257rwhp.

I have an o/r H-pipe,Mac pro dumps,steeda pulleys,plenum & throttle body, mac intake,tune. So with extra compression you should be in the upper 260 maybe low 270rwhp rang with a good tuner.

Oh and remember because you do gain compression you will no longer be able to run 87 with the swap done. You might be able to do 89 with a tune setup to pull a lot of timing out, but its gonna be mostly 93 for you now. You will gain a good bit of power with the swap though. Its worth it if you ask me. I get my best mpg on my high performance 93 octane tune anyhow.

Last edited:

charless96gt

Established Member
yea i had a friend tell me that it would bump it up to 10 5 1 compression and i might get my one of my other friends injecters which are 21-24 something like that ,they are pink if that helps, since he got a KB now and i'm going to take it to pro dyno and get it tuned for about as much hp as i can get out of it. i'm hoping to try and got over 250rwhp out of it.

CPViolation

Car Crazy
Established Member
yea i had a friend tell me that it would bump it up to 10 5 1 compression and i might get my one of my other friends injecters which are 21-24 something like that ,they are pink if that helps, since he got a KB now and i'm going to take it to pro dyno and get it tuned for about as much hp as i can get out of it. i'm hoping to try and got over 250rwhp out of it.

10.5:1 on pump gas? Ask other folks but you'd have to bump the octane quite a bit.
Stock KB blower motor is 8.5:1.
A gt motor you wouldn't want to run more than 5-8 PSI. My old N/A '96 snake was (I think) 9.5:1.
Jeff

charless96gt

Established Member
no i was talkin about mine being 10 5 1 with the pi swap and i'm going to get his injecters since hes got a KB now and is going to get bigger ones btw his KB isn't on yet.

cobra2798

I have no car
Established Member
no i was talkin about mine being 10 5 1 with the pi swap and i'm going to get his injecters since hes got a KB now and is going to get bigger ones btw his KB isn't on yet.

Thats the correct compression for a full PI swap. After a good tune you should see around 270whp. A PI swap on a bone stock motor is good for 60hp over stock, add to that your boltons and it will be a fun car. Most of your gains are going to come from the intake and cams, the heads actually only get you about 10whp but thay also give you the bump in compression.

charless96gt

Established Member
well i got everything off today i hope to have everything put back on and running tomorrow any tips on gettin it back together would be helpful

MustangSteveGT

Buck
Established Member
with your n/a setup i would not expect much over the 250-ish hp estimate. at flywheel you'll see the higher number but at rw on the dyno with mostly bolt ons i did NOT see 300 RWhp on my 2v PI 4.6 (auto trans) car at all. don't be disappointed though. its not that unusual. regular maintenance and good tuning will have an effect all that of course but i'm assuming before or during the process your spark plugs, fluids and filters are getting changed anyways.
with everything you've mentioned, the pulleys, tune and PI heads/cams are the only things I see you getting notable gains from.
edit:also need to mention that in order to get full use out of the larger throttle body, you might want to get a plenum and or intake manifold better matched for it. either way, even with a larger matched tb/plenum combo that area wont net you much horses but will at very least help with throttle response. there are also spacers you can buy for the plenum if your just looking to net a few extra horses.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread