Quick question

megameGT500

Suck it up and drive on!!
Established Member
King of Battle...from 20 clicks away. :D

How long have you been commissioned?

A little further, including HIMARS and MLRS. :rockon:

I received my NG Commission in 1997. When I came back onto AD and they computed all of my AD time and revised my BASD to Aug 1997. Also, unlike NCO's I kept my DOR as a 1LT when I returned to AD. HRC put me in YG02 but I have been promoted to CPT and MAJ with YG01. I have 23 years for pay and going on 15 for retirement. Hope you understand all that. But the bottom line is I have no break in service since my initial entry in 1989.

Matts00GT

Mongoloid Mike
Established Member
A little further, including HIMARS and MLRS. :rockon:

I received my NG Commission in 1997. When I came back onto AD and they computed all of my AD time and revised my BASD to Aug 1997. Also, unlike NCO's I kept my DOR as a 1LT when I returned to AD. HRC put me in YG02 but I have been promoted to CPT and MAJ with YG01. I have 23 years for pay and going on 15 for retirement. Hope you understand all that. But the bottom line is I have no break in service since my initial entry in 1989.

Sounds like you got pretty lucky. I've heard of some pretty bad horror stories when people transfer from the guard to either AD or the reserves. Apparently the guard's point system is quite lenient.

But I'm just a lowly 1LT so what do I know!

megameGT500

Established Member
MegameGT500, you're just right up the road from me! :beer:

There are several of us close to you. Stalking is my pastime. :rockon:

:lol::lol::lol:
I have seen many of the SD threads here and I DO NOT doubt that. But it would be a little easier to just have a get together when this crappy weather warms up. :beer:

Last edited:

megameGT500

Established Member
Sounds like you got pretty lucky. I've heard of some pretty bad horror stories when people transfer from the guard to either AD or the reserves. Apparently the guard's point system is quite lenient.

But I'm just a lowly 1LT so what do I know!

You are right. I was afraid I was going to lose a rank to 2LT but I found out very quickly when I got to Korea that I kept my rank and DOR. Most NCO's are not this fortunate and are usually told before they return to AD. The NG point system is fairly easy; every day you are on Annual Training (2 weeks) you get 1 point. Also, for every day you are on some type of AD like OBC (now BOLC) you get a point. Basically, whenever you get a federal paycheck you get get one point per day. AD to NG is for one year of AD you get 365 points. It does get complicated but I had CW4 in Korea walk me through it and filled out the correct form and after a couple of months my pay adjusted to reflect my years. I found out if you don't ask the question you will not get an answer and if you have points that transfer to AD then do it.

What branch are you? I am going to guess Armor or Infantry.

Last edited:

SomeSoldier

I wanna go fast.
Established Member
Just becareful in the Army. They are looking to kick a lot of Combat personnel out right now. You don't want to enlist and then get boot over some small thing.

Matts00GT

Mongoloid Mike
Established Member
You are right. I was afraid I was going to lose a rank to 2LT but I found out very quickly when I got to Korea that I kept my rank and DOR. Most NCO's are not this fortunate and are usually told before they return to AD. The NG point system is fairly easy; every day you are on Annual Training (2 weeks) you get 1 point. Also, for every day you are on some type of AD like OBC (now BOLC) you get a point. Basically, whenever you get a federal paycheck you get get one point per day. AD to NG is for one year of AD you get 365 points. It does get complicated but I had CW4 in Korea walk me through it and filled out the correct form and after a couple of months my pay adjusted to reflect my years. I found out if you don't ask the question you will not get an answer and if you have points that transfer to AD then do it.

What branch are you? I am going to guess Armor or Infantry.

12A/12B. Combat Engineer PL.

megameGT500

Established Member

I was just talking to an Engineer this morning. A CPT. The experience is useful if you decide to get out. Always liked working with you guys. I have NEVER had a problem working with Engineers.

Beerdog80

Crazy Oklahoman
Established Member
:lol::lol::lol:
I have seen many of the SD threads here and I DO NOT doubt that. But it would be a little easier to just have a get together when this crappy weather warms up. :beer:

I'm down for it after I get back in May. Headed out of town shortly for a training gig up north. I'd love to shoot (photo...not live fire :thumbsup:) your Shelby. Think I saw it at the BX Sunday actually. Parked out in the middle of the lot.

See, I am stalking...if unintentionally. :rockon:

Beerdog80

Crazy Oklahoman
Established Member

You guys did some awesome work for me in Baghdad in '09. After hitting a couple IED's, we had you guys help out with route clearance and taking out a few small bridges.

Best one was the house they demo'd for us after we found lots of explosives on site. Hell of a nighttime fireball. :rockon::rockon:

Beerdog80

Crazy Oklahoman
Established Member
Just becareful in the Army. They are looking to kick a lot of Combat personnel out right now. You don't want to enlist and then get boot over some small thing.

I would almost say this is universal right now. A friend of mine supervises an enlisted troop who got a DUI a few weeks ago. No other trouble or issues in his PIF.

He got notified yesterday they are showing him the door in two weeks. They are not playing around it seems.

But don't get me started on the gutting of the Army. I'm not even in the Army and I get furious when I read they are cutting 80k troops over a small timeline. Especially with several hotspots in the world that could demand our attention tomorrow. :fm:

stolher

Live Free
Established Member
I would almost say this is universal right now. A friend of mine supervises an enlisted troop who got a DUI a few weeks ago. No other trouble or issues in his PIF.

He got notified yesterday they are showing him the door in two weeks. They are not playing around it seems.

But don't get me started on the gutting of the Army. I'm not even in the Army and I get furious when I read they are cutting 80k troops over a small timeline. Especially with several hotspots in the world that could demand our attention tomorrow. :fm:

These are interesting times in the military. Keep on your toes!

Matts00GT

Mongoloid Mike
Established Member
You guys did some awesome work for me in Baghdad in '09. After hitting a couple IED's, we had you guys help out with route clearance and taking out a few small bridges.

Best one was the house they demo'd for us after we found lots of explosives on site. Hell of a nighttime fireball. :rockon::rockon:

Demo's always fun to "play" with. Unfortunately I'm the counter-mob platoon so the only time I'd get to use demo would be on a bridge.

The mobility platoons have all the fun. :whine::whine::whine:

megameGT500

Established Member
I'm down for it after I get back in May. Headed out of town shortly for a training gig up north. I'd love to shoot (photo...not live fire :thumbsup:) your Shelby. Think I saw it at the BX Sunday actually. Parked out in the middle of the lot.

See, I am stalking...if unintentionally. :rockon:

Nope. I rarely go on post on the weekends. There is another GT500 like mine owned by a SSG. I asked him to join SVTP but I haven't heard back from him. But lets definitely get a get together going in May. :rockon:

Beerdog80

Crazy Oklahoman
Established Member
You do seem to have some "stalker-ish" qualities! :poke:

Only on Tuesdays. :D

Nope. I rarely go on post on the weekends. There is another GT500 like mine owned by a SSG. I asked him to join SVTP but I haven't heard back from him. But lets definitely get a get together going in May. :rockon:

Ah, dont blame you. Had to stop by GNC since I was in town. It looked very clean. Not a mark on it.

Users who are viewing this thread