quieting down a bypass valve

blazen71

Midnight Marauder
Established Member
Reviving an old thread so people searching for a solution can easily find it. I have found the best solution for quieting a BOV to almost no sound at all and enough flow so you don't get compressor surge. This works with my Procharger D1X setup at 15psi. I have a Procharger Big Red Bypass venting to atmosphere through a "Pneumatic Muffler", instead of a small K&N like most try. You need to find a muffler with the largest CFM rating. I use the Mini Muff. I attached it to my BPV with a 2" to 2.375" silicone coupler. The 2" NPT connection on the muffler is just under 2.375" diam. The end caps are aluminum and the filter element is a bronze screen so no need to worry if the element gets wet!

Attachments

• Mini Muff.jpg
    Mini Muff.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Reviving an old thread so people searching for a solution can easily find it. I have found the best solution for quieting a BOV to almost no sound at all and enough flow so you don't get compressor surge. This works with my Procharger D1X setup at 15psi. I have a Procharger Big Red Bypass venting to atmosphere through a "Pneumatic Muffler", instead of a small K&N like most try. You need to find a muffler with the largest CFM rating. I use the Mini Muff. I attached it to my BPV with a 2" to 2.375" silicone coupler. The 2" NPT connection on the muffler is just under 2.375" diam. The end caps are aluminum and the filter element is sintered bronze so no need to worry if the element gets wet!

hmmm, glad I hung onto my recirculating valve now. Any pics of this setup?

robvas

Established Member
Do they make a kit that runs it back to the passenger compartment? Like the tube for the positive displacement guys? Lol

blazen71

Midnight Marauder
Established Member
hmmm, glad I hung onto my recirculating valve now. Any pics of this setup?
This is with a different muffler. This one is rated at 2,825 scfm @ 72 psi. The one above is rated at 4000SCFM@90psi. Only pic I have at the moment. It's mounted to the front side of pass wheel well liner. Here is a link to my old one. It looks like they redesigned the outside. McMaster-Carr

Attachments

• Pneumatic Muffler.jpg
    Pneumatic Muffler.jpg
    318.2 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
This is with a different muffler. This one is rated at 2,825 scfm @ 72 psi. The one above is rated at 4000SCFM@90psi. Only pic I have at the moment. It's mounted to the front side of pass wheel well liner. Here is a link to my old one. It looks like they redesigned the outside. McMaster-Carr
ive got mine in the wheel well too. Does your recirculating valve have the high pitched/howling sound? If so did it help with that too?

Procharger told me I could try rounding the corners on the inside of the body but I just threw an open valve on there for now.

I tried the K&N once and it seemed like a restriction/didnt help much anyway

blazen71

Midnight Marauder
Established Member
ive got mine in the wheel well too. Does your recirculating valve have the high pitched/howling sound? If so did it help with that too?

Procharger told me I could try rounding the corners on the inside of the body but I just threw an open valve on there for now.

I tried the K&N once and it seemed like a restriction/didnt help much anyway
Mine sounded like a jet engine before the muffler. Now it's 95% quiet, even when it blows off. Most people can't hear a thing on my car. I can hear that last 5% because it's my car and I'm listening for it. I tried a K&N first and it was louder with it on vs. open. The pneumatic muffler is the way to go. I searched and searched for a solution and am surprised nobody thought of this and posted it? Honestly I didn't even know they existed and randomly one day my buddy suggested it, totally out of the blue.

blazen71

Midnight Marauder
Established Member
I had a Tial BOV sitting on the shelf so I went full OCD and it worked out perfect! I bought a $50 Diesel Turbo timer off of ebay to control the Tial. The timer gets input from the TPS. When it see's a rapid decrease in voltage it triggers a 12V signal to the normally closed MAC vacuum solenoid and opens the Tial for about 1 second. This allows me to run a smaller more restrictive pneumatic muffler for normal driving making it whisper quiet and then when I let off the throttle after boost the Tial opens. An added plus that I didn't expect was when I pulled the circuit board out of the Diesel turbo timer it has a rheostat for sensitivity to the voltage drop from the TPS. I turned that all the way down. Keep in mind that the Tial is a secondary BOV after the pneumatic muffler. My main BOV is the Big Red Procharger BOV and that functions as normal.

Attachments

• IMG_0636.jpg
    IMG_0636.jpg
    224.9 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_0849.jpg
    IMG_0849.jpg
    271.9 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_0847.jpg
    IMG_0847.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_0860.jpg
    IMG_0860.jpg
    286.6 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_0887.jpg
    IMG_0887.jpg
    354.2 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_0889.jpg
    IMG_0889.jpg
    234.8 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
@blazen71

got a link to the 4000cfm one? wasnt pulling it up on mcmaster. If you link to that silicone adapter too that'd be great. Thinking I might wanna try this before driving it 500+ miles for sick week.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
I had a Tial BOV sitting on the shelf so I went full OCD and it worked out perfect! I bought a $50 Diesel Turbo timer off of ebay to control the Tial. The timer gets input from the TPS. When it see's a rapid decrease in voltage it triggers a 12V signal to the normally closed MAC vacuum solenoid and opens the Tial for about 1 second. This allows me to run a smaller more restrictive pneumatic muffler for normal driving making it whisper quiet and then when I let off the throttle after boost the Tial opens. An added plus that I didn't expect was when I pulled the circuit board out of the Diesel turbo timer it has a rheostat for sensitivity to the voltage drop from the TPS. I turned that all the way down. Keep in mind that the Tial is a secondary BOV after the pneumatic muffler. My main BOV is the Big Red Procharger BOV and that functions as normal.

GREAT idea and execution.

My biggest complaint with my Centri setup was the damn incessant BOV sounds basically at ALL throttle positions other than WOT.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
GREAT idea and execution.

My biggest complaint with my Centri setup was the damn incessant BOV sounds basically at ALL throttle positions other than WOT.
It is a really cool idea

When I’m out about to be a hooligan now and again it’s fine but long distances or driving it a lot definitely sucks a bit

Adower

Established Member
Can you put a link to the muffler you found on eBay? Im having an issue finding it.

Adower

Established Member
@blazen71

got a link to the 4000cfm one? wasnt pulling it up on mcmaster. If you link to that silicone adapter too that'd be great. Thinking I might wanna try this before driving it 500+ miles for sick week.
Let me know if you find it. I’m looking to do the same setup. I’m in CA and don’t need all that bypass noise coming from my car.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member

Users who are viewing this thread