R Prices

TFStang

Established Member
Currently there is a 93R on the Bay for $118K. Seems like prices are trending up. If 93R’s have blown past $100K, when do you think 00R’s, which are the best of the bunch will break $100K? I’m thinking soon.

dbrennancobra

Established Member
I honestly think the guy selling the 93R is dreaming.. it’s not even “wrapper” quality

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

TFStang

Established Member
I understand that anyone can ask what they want and the 93R mentioned above might be overpriced, but 93R’s have actually sold for six figures. I bet the 00R isn’t far behind. Out of the 3 R’s the 2000 is the most well thought out. They actually only produced the Cobra in 2000 in the R variant as SVT focused all their efforts on the 00R and getting it right. No “regular” Cobra was offered for 2000. What they finally came up with was a masterpiece.

Established Member
I'm just pulling your leg a little. If you are in this section, odds are good that you know a pretty broad amount about all the R models, and either own, or want to own, or have owned a specific model for a specific reason. I wanted a real, raced on track version of the R, which made the 95 the easiest and most affordable to attain. And that comes with the least guilt of mods and tracking it myself.

TFStang

Established Member
I love all the R’s for what they are and what they represent. One being better than the next as far as how well thought out the car was for it’s intended purpose. By the time they got to the 2000 R they really engineered an absolute masterpiece. From head to toe that car was purpose built for one thing and one thing only. I have two of them and was considering selling one of them, but I am somewhat on the fence so to speak .

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
Hundo for an 00? Sadly I dont see it for quite a while (sorry). My stipulation is that its a "normal" transaction, not a trumped up action S show, that STINKS of borderline fraud.

TFStang

Established Member
I wouldn’t be surprised at all if the 00R hit $100K within the next 10 years. Look at the Buick GNX’s. They are currently selling for 4x sticker for low mile mint examples and the made almost twice as many of those. They went from $30K to $120K + within the last 15 years.

Goose17

I have a major ego, and need attention.
Established Member
There is no doubt the 00R will break $100k, the big question is WHEN? It’s a rare car that has a lot of sex appeal with performance to back up its looks. It is definitely a collector car, but I don’t see them breaking $100k within the next 10 years. Who knows though...?

I didn’t buy mine as an investment. I don’t plan on ever selling it. My cars will roll down to my kids someday. I bought the car because it’s freak’n awesome! If I get to drive it around while it holds its value or creeps upwards, that’s a “win” in my book.

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
I have no clue on Cobra R values in the future.;)

I do see the collector car market being mostly flat over the last two years. The stock market is up 30%+ since the elections, and the bond market is down (down in price, up in yield).

I have been trying to buy a new GT350 for at least a year with no reasonable pricing.

I'll be keeping my 1995 Cobra R due to liking it from 1995 (finally bought it used in the later 1990's).

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
I bet the 00R isn’t far behind. Out of the 3 R’s the 2000 is the most well thought out. They actually only produced the Cobra in 2000 in the R variant as SVT focused all their efforts on the 00R and getting it right. No “regular” Cobra was offered for 2000. What they finally came up with was a masterpiece.

A street 2000 Cobra was planned and marketing materials were produced including the full brochure and hero card. It was cancelled when SVT stepped up and focused their energy on correcting the underpowered 99 Cobra. It took all of their resources to do the recall on that model to get it right. The lack of a street model for 00 has nothing to do with the R.

Tom

TFStang

Established Member
A street 2000 Cobra was planned and marketing materials were produced including the full brochure and hero card. It was cancelled when SVT stepped up and focused their energy on correcting the underpowered 99 Cobra. It took all of their resources to do the recall on that model to get it right. The lack of a street model for 00 has nothing to do with the R.

Tom

Correct a 2000 Cobra was planned, but the 99 recall had an impact on that as did the 00R, which they decided to continue moving forward with. Had there not been a recall of the 99’s, there may have been a regular production model 00 Cobra. The fact remains...the only Cobra they focused on building in 00 was the R.

TFStang

Established Member
I have no clue on Cobra R values in the future.;)

I do see the collector car market being mostly flat over the last two years. The stock market is up 30%+ since the elections, and the bond market is down (down in price, up in yield).

I have been trying to buy a new GT350 for at least a year with no reasonable pricing.

I'll be keeping my 1995 Cobra R due to liking it from 1995 (finally bought it used in the later 1990's).

Don’t think anyone can pinpoint values and you definitely can’t go wrong with a 95R. I have been on the fence regarding the 95 and came very close to buying one a couple times, but have yet to pull the trigger on one. As for the GT350, most dealers will do $3K off sticker without too much effort. Even the GT350R prices have come way down. No longer a six figure car. They have been a few that sold new for about $5K over sticker as opposed to the typical $20k over. As to the collector car market being flat....some segments, but others have done well over the last two years. Buick GN’s and Viper market has done really well over the last two years.

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
....As for the GT350, most dealers will do $3K off sticker without too much effort.

I am not getting any such offers around here. Just saying.

I've also interested in a new Mustang GT with all of the performance options. Yet, these cars are getting killed on the track in the major magazines. Road and Track had it 3 seconds slower on a road race course than the corresponding Camaro--Not that I would buy one of those ugly over-weight GM cars....

I think Ford has done a poor job getting the rear independent suspension to work as well as it should? It's better on the GT350 which also has one the the greatest engines.

As to the collector car market being flat....some segments, but others have done well over the last two years. Buick GN’s and Viper market has done really well over the last two years.

I agree 100%. The GN's and Viper's are hot. No doubt.

But good luck finding parts on the 1987 GNK Buick or someone that can help work on one. The 1987 Mustang LX 5.0 is simple to work on and parts are easy to find.

My best car from back then was my 1994 Cobra. That car was great, and I should have kept it.
Sebring1997.jpg

Camber plates were an easy install along with Ford Performance headers, aftermarket X-pipes (replaced the cats), and some track brake pads for the stock calipers and rotors.

WG2011g.jpg

TFStang

Established Member
That’s a great pic! I had a white / black 94 Cobra that I used to drive daily. Great car. Lucky for me and my GN one of my close friends is a guru with Turbo Buicks and he’s always willing to lend me a hand if I need it. They are definitely not the easiest car to work on, but Vipers and Mustangs are pretty close as far as ease and convenience of working on the car yourself.

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
...but Vipers and Mustangs are pretty close as far as ease and convenience of working on the car yourself.

I agree:
Yet, the Viper made 1,043 in 1993 (107 Cobra-R's)
The Viper made 1,577 cars in 1995 (250 Cobra-R's).

I think the early 1993-1995 cars are much easier to work on the the V-10 Dodge car which is now owned by a firm in Italy. The owner's now call it FCA (FCA US LLC ). Good luck with that.

Just saying, but I'd rather go with a Ford Cobra R over a FCA US LLC Viper. ;)

TFStang

Established Member
I agree:
Yet, the Viper made 1,043 in 1993 (107 Cobra-R's)
The Viper made 1,577 cars in 1995 (250 Cobra-R's).

I think the early 1993-1995 cars are much easier to work on the the V-10 Dodge car which is now owned by a firm in Italy. The owner's now call it FCA (FCA US LLC ). Good luck with that.

Just saying, but I'd rather go with a Ford Cobra R over a FCA US LLC Viper. ;)

I have to admit I love Vipers and for a lot of the same reasons I love Cobras. I have owned many and have a few in the stable currently. They are a blast to drive. Tough to describe unless you have driven one. The spirit of the Viper really captured the essence of the original Shelby Cobra. Open top, big motor and not much more than a go pedal and a shifter. As far as exclusivity, one would have to look at all Mustangs made in comparison, not just compare the "exclusive" Mustang models to the average Viper. They only made roughly 30K Vipers total over the 25 years the car was produced. There were a few hard to get limited edition models made like the GTS-R that I have, but when you look at what was actually built, it is a pretty rare car in general. How many Mustangs and Corvettes do they make yearly? Probably more than the total Vipers produced over the entire 25 year run. I love R's, but I also love me some Vipers ;)

nmp1

Established Member
865B8300-2701-4E2E-8CCE-B6D1EE077CCC.jpeg
I agree with tfstang. The viper is a totally different type experience. They have a bad reputation because too many idiots got behind the wheel and buried the gas pedal in a car with diesel level torque.

On my YouTube page I did owners experience video and I said that everyone should at least rent one. Every non-viper owner I’ve ever spoken to said it was one of the best experiences theyve ever had.

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
I have to admit I love Vipers and for a lot of the same reasons I love Cobras.

Like I said before, the history of the Yiper is mixed.

There are the early ones made by the bankrupt Chrysler Company: 1992-1998

Any then the 1999-2006 DaimlerChrysler

And then the 1999 -2000 Chrysler Group LLC.

And then the 2014-2017 Fiat cars.

I wonder about getting parts for the cars within four different manufacturers ?

The current price of these cars are very affordable.

Users who are viewing this thread