Raccoon eating my garbage.

dooberGN

Established Member
Almost every night I will catch a raccoon eating my garbage as if it's his only food source. I have those city supplied flip top garbage cans so he climbs up and opens the lid to get in, eats the garbage then climbs back out.

He doesn't leave a mess outside the can so I guess I really don't care but should I do something about it? I get off work at midnight and tonight I went to go throw something away and when I opened the lid he was in there staring at me. It scared the shit out of me even though I knew he was going to be there. That was the first time I have encountered him in person besides seeing him eat garbage from inside through my bedroom window.

I'm inclined to not do anything but I do have a German Shepard that I let out at night but I take her out on a leash because the yard isn't fenced in.

oldmodman

Established Member
I bungee cord mine closed.

And I have a friend in a more rural area and she had to make metal bars to lock the top down. The raccoons were eating the bungee cords.

kook911

Established Member
I would do something about it as I wouldn't want a wild animal around my house. Put a bag of cement on top of the lid. Heavy enough where I don't think it could move the bag.

B0B

Established Member
.22 short will do the trick. just leave him in the garbage. I have "taken care of" about 8 raccoons this way. Sounds like a pellet gun going off, shouldn't be loud enough to alarm the neighbors

Nate5821

Established Member
Pour a little ammonia in each bag before you take it out. They wont want to get in yo trash no mo.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
Racoons are nasty pest and should be put down once they are into eating trash. I've come up against a rabid raccoon before, mean nasty bastard. They aren't the cute little furry woodland creatures they are made out to be. Don't just block access to your cans because he will move on to a neighbor. Just shoot it or use poison.

EatonEggbeater

You tried to rob WHAT?
Established Member
I had a problem with deer eating sprouting bean plants in my garden. I bought a bunch of orange habanero chilies and wedged them into the tops of the bean plants.

I didn't see the deer actually eat any of them, but my bean plants started growing normally after that.

At this point, I've got habanero peppers sitting in pure salt, getting salty-dehydrated and I'll put them around the garden again. (Did this last year; seemed to have worked, but maybe she remembers the first dose.)

Maybe throwing a few salty-dehydrated habanero's in your garbage would cure things.

Get it on video, would probably be hilarious. (If you're not the 'coon, that is)

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
I dealt with this for almost 2 years. It was a big sucker too. Took me 3 months doing everything I could think of. Tried hot sauce, bungee cords, weights on top, rubber straps coated in hot sauce, antifreeze and finally used rat poison inside the bags. Nothing worked. So I borrowed a friends pellet gun, bought 6000 bb's and sat out one night. Cut a small hole in my screen and me and a buddy took action. It took 3 days of pellets and bb's to finally get the message through to it. Havent seen it back since.

And to note, I wanted to kill it with a 22. but the wife is an animal lover and wouldn't allow me to kill it.

Socal Mach

300+ club
Established Member
Same issue, I ended just putting a dumbell on the can.
Wife went to look out the back window and that damn thing just sat on the bench eating it's slice of pizza and looking at her. It's a big one and no shits were when it seen us.

lowflyn

Found my 03sbvert...
Established Member
Pellet gun took care of my problem. Head shot and put it in the can. Don't need a racoon running around the neighborhood.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Pour a little ammonia in each bag before you take it out. They wont want to get in yo trash no mo.

That DOES work. I have done it. Animals hate the smell.

You can also use a bungee cord, as Drew suggested. You definitely want to do something because if you (or someone else) happen to lift the top just as it is exiting, an attack could result. And they're mean when provoked. They also can carry rabies. All reasons to take care of this ASAP!

SecondhandSnake

Established Member
.22 short will do the trick. just leave him in the garbage. I have "taken care of" about 8 raccoons this way. Sounds like a pellet gun going off, shouldn't be loud enough to alarm the neighbors

Maybe for a smaller one. I had a larger, likely rabid one that took a whopping 5 rds of .22lr to put down. I was shocked how much he was able to take.

Same issue, I ended just putting a dumbell on the can.
Wife went to look out the back window and that damn thing just sat on the bench eating it's slice of pizza and looking at her. It's a big one and no shits were when it seen us.

I tried this once. All that happened was the raccoon took the dumbell and got swole as ****. Then he broke into my house, stole my creatine, and in between the hissing I swear he muttered something about his "gainz." I swear I saw him knock out a pitbull after that.

Digital

Established Member
Maybe for a smaller one. I had a larger, likely rabid one that took a whopping 5 rds of .22lr to put down. I was shocked how much he was able to take.

I tried this once. All that happened was the raccoon took the dumbell and got swole as ****. Then he broke into my house, stole my creatine, and in between the hissing I swear he muttered something about his "gainz." I swear I saw him knock out a pitbull after that.

That's why they make 308 lol

Kenneth

Established Member
If you want him to stop eating the garbage without harming him, sprinkle cayenne pepper in the garbage can every night for about a week.

zPipes

Established Member
Bah, let the little guy do his thing. Toss some food out for him him the back yard imo. As in the far back of your yard, unless you have a small yard then nevermind.

90goldtsiawd

here 4 da laffs & cruelty
Established Member
This shit is no joke.

021001-1-1-LG.jpg

http://www.trapperman.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4039946/gold_malrin_to_poison_coon

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread