Radar Detector...really worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
I'm still curious as to why the same mfg's who make the radar equipment also make radar detectors. :shrug:

pwnt04

Frickin' Ladies Man
Established Member
They are taking advantage of two seperate markets. 1) The Consumer 2) Law Enforcement Agencies

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
Originally posted by pwnt04
They are taking advantage of two seperate markets. 1) The Consumer 2) Law Enforcement Agencies

A true definition of conflicting interests. Imagine this on the battlefield.

Kman

Established Member
My dad sells public safety equipment to Police, Fire, and the Government. Two of the things he sells is Decatur Radar (www.decaturradar.com) and Lazer Atlanta (www.laseratlanta.com). When we go to Las Vegas we always put his radar on the dash and turn it on. It's so funny to see people either pass us and hit their brakes, or see people going the other directon hit their brakes.

If you need to use a radar detector, you are going to fast. Just go the speed limit.

pwnt04

Frickin' Ladies Man
Established Member
The radar companies don't care about who they sell their products to. There is money to be made from both markets so they capitalize on their opportunities.

jshen

Established Member
That's correct

Originally posted by PlatinumCobra
I'm still curious as to why the same mfg's who make the radar equipment also make radar detectors. :shrug:

I'm sure you know there is a constant upgrading in technology between detectors & radar/laser. Unless you upgrade often..LE agencies will stay ahead. My old PD and those in my area now constantly upgrade...and guess who pays for it...ticketees.

jshen

Established Member
Technology upgrades...Sorry double post violation

I'm sure you know there is a constant upgrading in technology between detectors & radar/laser. Unless you upgrade often..LE agencies will stay ahead. My old PD and those in my area now constantly upgrade...and guess who pays for it...ticketees.

Last edited:

SOLISIMO

Signal 12
Established Member
Its a waist. My radar unit has a hold button on it which I use. Once the radar detector picks it up its to late, the radar already had measured your speed. I cannot tell you how many speeders I've nailed with radar detectors. I dont mean ticket, b/c I am very, very liniant, but yes they are a complete waist of money. And let me not even get started on our laser detectors. Save your money!

pwnt04

Frickin' Ladies Man
Established Member
Allow me to explain the purpose of a radar detector concerning Instant-on radar:

How Instant-on (Pulse) Radar Works:
As a defense against detectors, many radar units can be
operated in the Instant-on mode, also called the Pulse
mode. This means the radar is in position, but it is not
transmitting a beam. So it cannot be detected. When the
target is within range, the radar operator switches on the
beam and the radar calculates the speed, usually in less
than a second. This calculation happens too quickly for
the target (you) to respond in time.
Still, you can defend against Instant-on by recognizing it
when the operator zaps traffic ahead of you. Your attention to the nuances of your detector's warnings gives you at least a sporting chance.

A radar is not an end all/fix all. It is designed to give the motorist an advantage.

Last edited:

jean

Established Member
Everyone know the law officer get their instruments (radar ,laser )from insurance company to complete the perfect scam again motorist.Ihave a radar detector who help not speeding because i love speeding (iam 50 years old )and recently i start to go to the track who make me enjoying my cobra at 120 miles .
Who speed in road will be catch soon or later......
revenue are too big for the law enforcement.
How they can paid their officers just catching killers , thiefs ad drug dealers?
I leave in NY city for 20 years and when the city need money for budget all law officer write tickets like crazy.

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
Originally posted by jean
Everyone know the law officer get their instruments (radar ,laser )from insurance company to complete the perfect scam again motorist.Ihave a radar detector who help not speeding because i love speeding (iam 50 years old )and recently i start to go to the track who make me enjoying my cobra at 120 miles .
How they can paid their officers just catching killers , thiefs ad drug dealers?
I leave in NY city for 20 years and when the city need money for budget all law officer write tickets like crazy.

You right. Big bad insurance company give me radar, say make much money for city. City poor, need scam to make ends meet.

pwnt04

Frickin' Ladies Man
Established Member

...Please tell me you're not serious.

Lawman85

Banned

:lol: :lol: :lol:

6spd

Established Member
ok, some of u say uve been saved by the radar detector, but wouldnt u still be vulnerable to cops cruising around instead of speed traps?.

pwnt04

Frickin' Ladies Man
Established Member
Moving radar is the same as stationary radar other than a reference beam. Both come from the same gun, therefore both are detectable.

Last edited:

Elliotness

Established Member
Radar detectors are not worthless. If you have a detector that has decent range it will allow you to detect officers using instant on in time to slow down.... Provided there is traffic in front of you.

Everyone speeds out here. I drive on the smoothest road in the United States. It's made from old tires and supposed to be the best riding road in the country. Out here it's not like the east coast where the roads are curvey and there are trees in the way blocking the signal. The detector is more effective here where there is no vegatation or obstructions.

Thank you V1 thank you.....

BTW to address the issues of ever changing technology. If you buy a V1 you can send it back and get upgrades for a fee. I imagine the fee will be less than buying a new radar to "keep up."

Elliotness

Established Member
Don't know any radar that is effective against laser... However, if you are observe your surroundings you can still avoid getting tagged. Laser operators must be stationary... Makes them a little easier to pick out.

What is a shifter?

gnxs

Established Member
Originally posted by mswaim
You right. Big bad insurance company give me radar, say make much money for city. City poor, need scam to make ends meet.

Not that I agree with the person you were responding to (in fact I had a hard time reading it), but I could swear GEICO did donate radar units to law enforcement many years ago. That's why I refuse to insure with them.

EDIT: Interesting article, the 4th paragraph mentions the Geico "donation". A google search further validated my suspicion of Geico.

Link to article:
http://www.geocities.com/[email protected]/lidarcase.html

Last edited:

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
That case is older than the hills in legal years (not to mention technology) and the guns were not donated by Geico, they loaned money to a floundering business, something that happens in corporate America every day.

I urge you to try that same defense in todays traffic courts.

Radar serves a purpose whether you want to believe it or not. Excessive speed is a major contributor to collisions and injuries, imparting its influences in four general areas:

Speed limits reaction time.
Speed increases stoppage distances.
Speed increases the load on your vehicles restrainst systems.
Speed increases the realm and severity of injuries.

Young male adults continue to lead the pack as being the most likely speeders and the most likely to cause collisions and collateral damage to property and pedestrians alike.

I would much prefer that insurance companies spend a few bucks on radar guns to donate to the cause than to continue raising my rates to cover the losses incurred by idiotic young drivers out to prove their manhood.

jean

Established Member
The insurance company lose money with the stolen car market(to be resold in south america or eastern europe,story by 20/20)
not with accident on the road.And the way the insurance company get back :they give money to private donation to corporation who buy equipment to donate to the police.who catch you for speeding who increase your insurance rates,nice loop indeed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread