Rag Tops and High HP/Tq

BigOrange

Established Member
Quick question: I want to buy a 04 convertible but I also want to install a 2.4 KB or a small tt kit. Will this be too much hp/tq for the frame to handle?

SteveChris

Established Member
dont expect to go to the track unless you like convertibles with roll cages :xpl:
id do alot of chassis stiffening mods, even stock they creek around a bit.alot if you drive on crappy roads. but nothing beats having the top down and remember hot dumb girls think convertibles are faster, and they think red and yellow are faster then black :rockon:

evans03c

1% evil, 99% hot air
Established Member
Go with a good set of subframe connectors even if you don't have the high HP/torque yet. There is all kinds of flex in the frame of the convertibles. SFC's will do a lot. MM (Maximum Motorsports), Hans, Globalwest are all good choices.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
The above recommendations are good. I know of a convertible that made 800+rwhp reported right on this forum. Can't remember the actual numbers. But obviously that a convertible can handle big power just about as good as a coupe. As long as your supporting mods are in place. And whether you race or not, I'd recommend a roll cage if you're making more than '500' to the wheels. JMO.

SpectorV

Established Member
Im definatly going to stiffen my chasis with subframes and the like, Its cheap and really makes a difference.

SVTdubs

have you seen my baseball
Established Member
735hp-855tq previously, more for sure with the turbo setup. All I have is MM full length sub frames and DSS level 2 halfshafts. KB springs for looks, thats all.... my cars handled its own, and it has 36k miles on it to boot, no problems!

JPIStang

Stay Classy San Diego!
Established Member
Look, I have just a little more power than stock and this thing needs stiffened up BIG TIME. I even have MM full length SFC's and it's not even close to being enough.

Step 2: Add infloor SFC's and custom ladder connectors.
Step 3: 6pt rollbar with removable swingouts.

That's my plan. I can't do a STB with the JLT....though I might get a rear tower brace.

However, your question was about handling power. Well, you aren't going to break the car in half, if that's what you're worried about.

MikeW

Established Member
I'm not as high powered as SVTdubs,Bfoley, and otehr vert's. I do take my vert to all the local tracks and dont have a rollbar or sub-frames. I will add sub frames soon but I doubt I will ever add a rollbar. best et so far was 12.07 @118.xx. JDM had a vert too best i remember.

Last edited:

SVTdubs

have you seen my baseball
Established Member
JPIStang said:
I even have MM full length SFC's and it's not even close to being enough.

what power are you making? I have been at over 730rwhp for thousands of hard miles and my car is fine. Since mile 600 my car has been pullied, ported and sprayed, then kb then kb spray, now turbo and I have 34-38 THOUSAND miles on my car and I beat the living hell out if it, thats what its for. No problems whatsoever with anything...

JPIStang

Stay Classy San Diego!
Established Member
SVTdubs said:
what power are you making? I have been at over 730rwhp for thousands of hard miles and my car is fine. Since mile 600 my car has been pullied, ported and sprayed, then kb then kb spray, now turbo and I have 34-38 THOUSAND miles on my car and I beat the living hell out if it, thats what its for. No problems whatsoever with anything...

No problems, it's just not stiff enough. I'm only at 417 at the wheels...but that's not the issue.

Too much cowl shake and the car still too closely resembles a soggy lasagna noodle. My coupe with MM full length SFC's was MUCH stiffer than this car with the same SFC's. (not the exact same ones, a new pair but the same part # lol)

gmynko said:
See sig. Hans Racecraft FLSFCs made it stiffer than my coupe.

When it's done mine will be stiffer than those-I'm not gonna grind these off and start over, that's for sure. LOL

Last edited:

anvrsy red vert

Established Member
CobraBob said:
And whether you race or not, I'd recommend a roll cage if you're making more than '500' to the wheels. JMO.

Bob: I hope this doesn't sound mean, but whether you have 500 or 50 to the rear wheels, if you roll ANY vert, you have a GOOD chance of getting hurt!!! :poke:

Users who are viewing this thread