Railroaders?? Hired at CSX

JasonFC

Somethings different
Established Member
Hey, I was wondering if we have any railroaders here? I recently got hired at CSX as a freight conductor, will be starting 17NOV2014. Advice, stories, information?

NC85

Lurker for Life
Established Member
I'm a roadmaster (track supervisor) and it's rewarding work. Stay with it and I wish you the best.

HudsonFalcon

Established Member
Conductor here. It's a good paying job with good benefits but you won't have much of a home life (im sitting in a hotel on my rest as I type this). Just make sure you stay safe and listen to your mentors. You will be working tired and in all weather conditions so get some good clothing and a great pair of boots. Study your signals and your rules too.

Posted via Topify on Android

03GTGreen

Established Member
You now have no life, but will have plenty of money for Cobra parts for a car you will never be able to drive cause youll be at work all the time

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
The thought of being a train conductor sounds awesome to me but I'm sure it's not easy work and it probably just means I've been sitting behind a desk being a corporate drone for too long...

MIDTNSVT

Established Member
Have a couple friends that work for CSX. Pretty much what was said above. Good pay, but never home to enjoy it. Stick with it and by the time your retirement age you will be set!

Zemedici

Established Member
Is this because of long hours or because of being out of town all the time? Or both?

Both, and the way the shifts work. They're on a sort of rotation, and what I hear form my buddy (NS), if a conductor denies/rejects a shift, and you're next on the rotation, you're up, which means sometimes you go back to back. Its crazy confusing for an outsider (like myself) to try and understand. But the pay's great, and so are the benefits. Once you get the hang of it, its a sweet gig though. My buddy makes good money, just never has the time to spend it. :D

S.C.

Established Member
Congrats did you hire out for Selkirk or Erwin ? First apply for some runoff insurance could be a lifesaver one day . Don't let anybody rush you especially a train master or dispatcher. Its a great place to work and a lot of good benefits don't be afraid to ask questions once you start qualifying and just be careful and you'll be fine.

JasonFC

Somethings different
Established Member
Congrats did you hire out for Selkirk or Erwin ? First apply for some runoff insurance could be a lifesaver one day . Don't let anybody rush you especially a train master or dispatcher. Its a great place to work and a lot of good benefits don't be afraid to ask questions once you start qualifying and just be careful and you'll be fine.

Hired out of Nashville, getting the hell out of NY, AGAIN. Haha.

Users who are viewing this thread