reaching for 600hp

ssnake

Established Member
here is lil bit about my car. its an o3 cobra and I was told it makes 560hp the way it sits but haven't had it on the dyno yet. I just bought it and I will tell all I know about it. KB 2.2, 4 lb lower,3.650 upper, stock manifolds,magnaflow catless x pipe exhaust,60lb inj,bap,sct ba 3000,jlt ram air intake, kb big oval tb,and killer chiller.
I am wanting to hit 600hp. what is the best way to do it on pump gas 93 octane without spending a lot of cash. I think I am pretty close to over spinning the blower. I have been told to go with a 3.4 upper. it will be a street driven car with very few runs down the track. I have been also told to go with 6lb lower. all info is appreciated. thanks

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
I am not to familiar with how much boost the 2.2 makes on different pulley combos. How much boost is your car currently making? You can safely run 20 psi on pump gas but I would not push it past that. Also a nice set of long tubes will give you a little jump in power.

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
First and foremost, get it on a dyno and get the tune checked by a reputable tuner. This serves two purposes, you will know exactly where you are power wise and it prevents a catostrophic event, IE blowing up the motor.

The route I would go, pull and sell the KB, replace the lower pulley with a stock lower and install a TVS blower. You should be able to resell maybe your TB and other little things. That KB is worth at least $2200.00 if you find the right buyer

Longtubes at this point are not the best investment. For example,

cost of longtubes $900.00ish + install + retune (this money could be used to close the gap on selling that 2.2 and getting a TVS.) WIth a TVS you dont need Longtubes to achieve 600

Not only will you gain HP but your TQ will go up as well. Thats just me though

Last edited:

BLU3VN0M

SVT Addict
Established Member
Why don't you pull the 2.2 off and pick up a 2.3 whipple.. That's going to be the easiest and cheapest way. 643/605 here with mods in sig all on 93 pump. You'll easily be able to sell the 2.2 for 2200-2500 depending on how many miles are on it and condition. You can pick up a used 2.3 for around the same price and get to your goal easily and safely.

woodstock93

Established Member
I have the KB 2.2 3" pulley, 18psi 60LB injectors MAC 3" catback and Basanni catted X, no longtubes and it's getting 600rwh.
And the sound of KB 2.2 is great I love it. I would keep the KB but if you want more then 600hp you will need a bigger SC.

ssnake

Established Member
yea I guess I am putting the cart before the horse(no pun intended) but I need to find out for sure what she is putting out before I go asking questions about more horsepower. my buddy is doing a dyno day sat at his shop, so I guess I will be strapping her down and see what she makes. thanks for the comments

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
You can get a brand new set of MAC headers for 700, they go used on here for a few hundered all day long. Not only will the car pick up 10-15 hp but it will make your exhaust sound great. Longtubes are definitely a good investment, they lower the boost on your car and you pick up power. Its all about efficiency and longtubes definitley make our engines breath a lot better.

Last edited:

Casper03

Cobra Guy
Established Member
3.00" upper and stock lower will give you 17-18psi. I have a 2.2 KB @ 17psi and made 596/545 on 93 pump on a hot day in TX on stock motor. Breaking in new motor with .030 overbore, slight compression bump, little head job, new numbers coming soon. With a proper fuel system you can do 620-630 on 93 and 650+ on E85. On a stock motor I wouldn't use anything more than a KB 2.2 or 2.3 whipple. TVS is a great choice also. For the money , I would keep the blower and just put a stock lower and 3" upper.

blinelaxd27

Established Member
My 2.2 KB is at 20lbs with shorty headers, exhaust and intake put down 598whp.

its definitely possible with your blower.

ssnake

Established Member
ok update on my car. first, thanks for the input. I got it dynoed today. it made 560 and 560 on 16.5 psi and a/f was 11.7. soooo I think I am gonna pulley it and get it retuned. but I was very pleased with the numbers. I may leave it alone because it will very seldom see the track. I was just wanting to get it to 600hp for bragging rights.lol but thanks for the input. I have also tossed around selling the kb and going turbo.lol

stagedz

Cobra Convert
Established Member
560 on 16.5...nice! You could always just hit it with a 50 shot and that would crack it over easily. I think you should probably consider upgrading the fuel system a bit if you want to safely boost higher.

ssnake

Established Member
yea I been kicking around the idea of upgrading the fuel system. I am on a budget but I wanna do a return style. but its cheaper and easier to just upgrade the pump. but I do have that on the list.lol

ssnake

Established Member
ok I have a quick question. I have been seeing that people have been going with a stock lower and smaller upper, why? what is wrong with the 4lb lower and a 3.6 upper?

mach1033

Established Member
ok I have a quick question. I have been seeing that people have been going with a stock lower and smaller upper, why? what is wrong with the 4lb lower and a 3.6 upper?

It's cheaper to buy a smaller pulley and belt vs pulley belt and 4lb lower. Nothing wrong in using a lower pulley.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread