Read the funniest thing eariler

mocityboy23

Established Member
Okay a guy is trying to sell a mustang and said he would except cash or a certified cashiers check. This guy said he will refuse to give up the car or title until the check clears. Last I checked a certified cashiers check is the same as cash. It can be deposited at the sellers bank or cashed at the buyers bank. In my opinion this guy is totally trying to rip someone off. :fm::mj: I would run away from anyone that tells me this. What does everyone else think??

mocityboy23

Established Member
I see both sides of this situation. I think the best way to handle this situation would be to get a bill of sale signed up that the original owner holds. Then they both go to the bank together buyer gets bank to verify the cashier check is good and they finalize everything there. Both buyer and seller should feel comfortable. I don't know if I would be totally comfortable with showing up to meet a stranger with like 10k in cash. World is too crazy now.

5.0GT

Established Member
I remember buying a car from a privet seller, we went to the bank together and they wrote all the sale information. My name, his name, the car is being sold and it's a safe free middle man, wouldn't do it another way. Safe for both.

mocityboy23

Established Member
Main reason I'm asking is because I plan on buying a car from a private seller in the future. Most sellers are freaked out by the ideal of taking a cashiers check, and there's no way I'm showing up anywhere with a bunch of cash. :nonono: I might consider it if I was buying in my state.

mocityboy23

Established Member
About 2 years ago I brought a mustang. The guy excepted my cashiers check. I tried to get my bank to notarize the documents and get a bill of sale signed. They told me they no longer kept anyone on staff that does that. I called around to other banks that are affiliated with my bank in the surrounding areas and they all said the same thing. Long story short I got a lawyer to notarize the bill of sale for $50. Maybe things have changed since then. Will call around when I attempt to buy another car.

RocketSurgeon

Established Member
I'm selling my car and know I will most likely end up with a cashier's check. My plan was as you outlined in your first post in this thread - bill of sale, confirm funds deposited then finalize. That's strange and a pain in the ass that they don't have notaries at the banks down there, though.

5.0GT

Established Member
I'm selling my car and know I will most likely end up with a cashier's check. My plan was as you outlined in your first post in this thread - bill of sale, confirm funds deposited then finalize. That's strange and a pain in the ass that they don't have notaries at the banks down there, though.

Ask your bank. I didn't know about that when I walked in, I just spoke with a banker to give me a cashier check and he notarized the sale. It was a Chase bank btw.

Last edited:

oldmodman

Established Member
A few years ago I was selling a car to a guy from Germany.
I knew that he would be driving directly to Long Beach to have it put in a container for shipment.
So we did the deal for cash. 22K in hundreds. made a really nice looking pile on my table.
I can just imagine that happening with something really expensive.

Users who are viewing this thread