Really Disappointed with Ford

Go Heels

This space is useless
Established Member
Well, picked up my 2011 GT about two months ago, and since then my thoughts about Ford Motor Company have changed. First off, the minute it turned cold I started getting the balky shifting transmission issue just like mentioned in one of the other threads...it horrible, you have to force the damn thing into second and third gear until the car warms up. I took it back to the dealership and they tell me, yes we are aware of the problem but were not fixing it yet (I have the print out from Ford telling the service department that they are "Investigating the concern and no repairs are recommended at this time"). Problem number two, when it gets below 40 degrees outside the car ticks like a mofo until it gets up to normal operating temps, I took it to the dealership again...they keep it for 8 days...during this time the service guy is communicating with the Ford Hotline about the issue (again..have the print out) and the Ford rep says "Pistons are designed to fit the cylinder bore with the engine at operating temperature. Due to different thickness and expansion rates at various points on the piston, the piston will have different cylinder wall to piston clearance cold to hot. Due to the piston shape some cold piston noise is considered a normal engine characteristic. the noise should be considered a charateristic of the high performace engine design. I asked to be traded out of the car...they said no...I told them I don't blame them, cause they could never sell a car that ticks for the first 10 minutes you drive it. I am very disappointed with Ford on this one. This might be my last Ford...and I've had 6 Mustangs.

grnenvy

Established Member
My Z06 engine was noisy tappy, ticking never had a problem with it! My 03 cobra was one of the first run cars many people had the tick but I never did. I wouldn't worry about the engine noise Ford is right that motor could last forever that way. There are many people pushing these motors to the MAX and there staying together! As for the trans you should have went Auto!!

As a side years ago I was a foreign car Tech and many BMW's and Mercedes'a had noisey motor's!!

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
Do u guys have a Lemon Law in your state?

His car is not a Lemon... The car would need to be in the shop for multiple repairs of the same problem. This appears to be a problem that everyone is aware of and most likely will have a TSB soon.

Carbd86GT

You're Gator Bait
Established Member
I wouldn't worry about a little piston noise, fairly common with the mod motors. With the compression and RPM those motors turn, they can make some heat, so they will need the extra clearance for exact reason they stated. Not to mention, most owners won't let the engine warm up at idle before driving, so that's another reason why they give it a little extra clearance. Would you rather them tighten up the piston to wall clearance so that you can start the car with temps below 40* and when you get on the highway a few times, the pistons start scoring up the walls and you start cracking ringlands? The engine is fine, the trans part should hopefully be fixed soon, but these cars haven't been through a winter yet so some issues will come up with stuff like this.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
So you are upset because the car needs to be warmed up in colder temperatures before the transmission shifts as good as it did in warm weather?

Errr...

The engine, also in colder temperatures, exhibits more mechanical sounds until it warms up.

Umm...

You're disappointed with Ford because of the fact that they didn't better hide what is considered normal? Have you ever lived in a real cold weather climate and started up anything that runs on gasoline? I'm here to tell you, the thermal shock and typical material expansion rates are only amplified. That has nothing to do with the engine operating improperly, or a transmission being faulty.

Your vehicle is talking to you. Learn to understand that it is simply saying "Hang on a minute and let me warm up a little before you beat the living snot out of me."

Jim Vaccaro

Established Member
So you are upset because the car needs to be warmed up in colder temperatures before the transmission shifts as good as it did in warm weather?

Errr...

The engine, also in colder temperatures, exhibits more mechanical sounds until it warms up.

Umm...

You're disappointed with Ford because of the fact that they didn't better hide what is considered normal? Have you ever lived in a real cold weather climate and started up anything that runs on gasoline? I'm here to tell you, the thermal shock and typical material expansion rates are only amplified. That has nothing to do with the engine operating improperly, or a transmission being faulty.

Your vehicle is talking to you. Learn to understand that it is simply saying "Hang on a minute and let me warm up a little before you beat the living snot out of me."

Good Thread,, I am older and do remember in cold weather most of us warmed up our cars,,It seems today not too many people warm up there cars at all..Cold weather starts should always get a good warm up...

steedafever

U.S. ARMY 13-FOX
Established Member
I wouldn't worry about a little piston noise, fairly common with the mod motors. With the compression and RPM those motors turn, they can make some heat, so they will need the extra clearance for exact reason they stated. Not to mention, most owners won't let the engine warm up at idle before driving, so that's another reason why they give it a little extra clearance. Would you rather them tighten up the piston to wall clearance so that you can start the car with temps below 40* and when you get on the highway a few times, the pistons start scoring up the walls and you start cracking ringlands? The engine is fine, the trans part should hopefully be fixed soon, but these cars haven't been through a winter yet so some issues will come up with stuff like this.

+1 its a normal thing. mine does both issues the op stated but the ticking goes away quickly once warmed up. and bc i know the reason behind it it doesnt bother me. its actually a good thing. now the shifter thing is a whole different mess that every one is upset about, so we feel your pain there.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member

Errr...

Umm...

this!!! what the hell is wrong with people?! the piston noise is an absolute non-issue, and the trans issues are known. if you really want the trans fixed, then read the thread about it on this very forum and change the oil. otherwise just wait for a TSB/recall.

203Cree

Established Member
Wasn't there a thread in here about changing the trans fluid to help with the shifts? Could swear I read that...

My Lightning had piston slap like a mofo in cold weather. It's now at 130k and for sale again, and I'd bet it last that long again.

You're not buying a 100k car here bub, and there's nothing saying that a 100k car wouldn't have the same issues. Both problems would be fixed by either parking it in a garage or letting it warm up for a little bit before driving.

svtnotch

Established Member
Here's an idea call me crazy but why not let the car warm up for 10minutes before you take it out? do you know what cold looks like? id compare it to Carmel in the pan. shit i let my car warm up on a 90 degree day.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
Wasn't there a thread in here about changing the trans fluid to help with the shifts? Could swear I read that...

My Lightning had piston slap like a mofo in cold weather. It's now at 130k and for sale again, and I'd bet it last that long again.

You're not buying a 100k car here bub, and there's nothing saying that a 100k car wouldn't have the same issues. Both problems would be fixed by either parking it in a garage or letting it warm up for a little bit before driving.
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/2011-mustangs-354/740307-attention-mt-82-victoms.html

from what i understand, the more expensive a car is the more issues they have. ferraris are known for burning to the ground, having a lot of small shit fail(door handles and the like), convertible top issues, scheduled engine overhauls every few years, timing chain replacement every 3 years, etc. but god forbid a $30k mustang have a little engine rattle before it's warmed up!!!

Last edited:

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
The op is a god Damn cry baby an never learned how to drive a car righ. always let you car warm up in cold weather an there working on the tranny. if you can't handle that go trade in for a Honda seems to fit cry babys perfect.

ktorres1

Established Member
Op the guys are right about several others already having success with the shifting by switching the tranny oil and I agree with you I wouldn't be happy with my brand new engine ticking either. I do believe I read a a thread here sometime back about another member having this problem and Ford sent someone out to his local dealership who then put what might of been some sort of friction modifier into his engine oil that solved the problem. I do expect Ford to soon handle all issues so hold on to that otherwise awesome car.

69gt4speed

Svt God of All
Established Member
My 03 made some noise at -10 deg and below along w half the other brands in parking lot. Lifter tick, piston slap, you name it. One of the worst in parking lot is a ls1 pickup and one toyota 350 4v tundra. So far the new 2011 hasn't done any of it yet. But it only has like 4k on it.My nissan 3.0 v6 makes all kinds of racket, lifter ticks, piston noises till half warm. Prob moving to arizona take care of the issue. Either op been extremely lucky or something idk. Going to like a 5 /50 syn oil might solve it idk.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
... I agree with you I wouldn't be happy with my brand new engine ticking either....I do believe I read a a thread here sometime back about another member having this problem and Ford sent someone out to his local dealership who then put what might of been some sort of friction modifier into his engine oil that solved the problem.

Go back and reread what the OP stated. He claims it makes noises until warm, not a non-stop clattermobile.

As to adding friction modifier to the oil of ANY engine...that'll have the dealership working on your car in no time.

With you footing the entire bill to replace the engine.

Go Heels

This space is useless
Established Member

Errr...

Umm...

Dude...really....
I let it warm up for 5 minutes EVERY morning before I drive it...and I don't beat on the damn thing.....I'm disappointed with Ford because they tested 5 other 2011 GTs in the morning and none....I mean none of the other cars exhibited the same noises/ticking that mine did. I understand there are build variations...but jeez..come on. Don't assume I'm some snot nosed 19 year old that is enjoying the car my dad just got me. Im 35, I've had a 73 Mach 1, 91 LX 5.0, 2000 GT, 2005 GT, 2004 Cobra and now my 2011 GT....and I work hard for what I've got, I just want what I paid for...that's all. A car that runs like it's supposed to.

Last edited:

Go Heels

This space is useless
Established Member
The op is a god Damn cry baby an never learned how to drive a car righ. always let you car warm up in cold weather an there working on the tranny. if you can't handle that go trade in for a Honda seems to fit cry babys perfect.

Give me a break guy.....I let it warm up...I'm no dummy. Again, the service techs drove 5 other 2011 GTs that were sitting on the lot....none of them made noise like mine did. Get your head out of your ass.

Users who are viewing this thread