Really pissed off

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
when you become a LEO, be sure and ask everyone you pull over if they help disabled people, or if they have a cdl...oh also ask if they are a volunteer firefighter....their favorite color is also very important. people that like bright colors, are less likely to commit serious crimes and therefore deserving of a break.

sorry to give you a hard time but holy cow you are a cherry.

a "cherry" is someone we called someone who doesnt know any better

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
I didn't mention anything about a murderer or rapist. And I understand why he pulled me over, just don't think he should've given me a ticket. Please don't put words in my mouth, thanks. And by the looks of it, he should not have as a gps does not fit the criteria of what he wrote me for. Thanks for some of the rude responses though. And thanks for all the consideration you put into it.

See post #34 before you think it doesn't meet the criteria. You may be laughed at in court otherwise.

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
OP use your head for something other than a hat rack...listen to what everyone is telling you. there is probably a combined 200+ years of law enforcement experience in this thread telling you that your thinking is absurd and this is not how actual officers think. you need to re evaluate your stand on criteria....if you become an LEO with that mentality, and have to testify, and you will be called to testify on things....your logic will reveal itself and you dont want to happen in court. your career will be very short lived.

Last edited:

nycarpenter

Established Member
You're calling the Officer a young prick cop and you're only 20??? :??: :lol1:

You're really playing the entitlement card here...firefighter, college student, full time worker, cdl holder, care taker for the elderly. It's no surprise you're so young. Your posts show.

Have you helped any little old ladies cross the street lately or taken stray puppies in and fed them? That's usually the golden ticket for me. :lol1:

Puppies no, but I did pick up a few stays and took them home all I got was divorce papers :) If only it were puppies I still be married and miserable :banana:

codycat91

Established Member
Thanks Andy Dufresne. You guys are really showing your true colors. This will just make people understand more what rude police officers are like. If you can't say anything nice or helpful (even honest) then **** off, seriously. It doesn't help me, nor does it make you look good. Thank you to the people that look at and understand exactly what I said, and that didn't twist my story to make it seem like I think of myself as a saint. I know what I did, know that it would have been more than reasonable to give me a warning, and know that it will get thrown out/dismissed in court. Once again, thanks to the people that actually helped. And to the others that offered no help, but rather rude responses/opinions, your time would have been better spent elsewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

silver03svt

Established Member
Thanks Andy Dufresne. You guys are really showing your true colors. This will just make people understand more what rude police officers are like. If you can't say anything nice or helpful (even honest) then **** off, seriously. It doesn't help me, nor does it make you look good. Thank you to the people that look at and understand exactly what I said, and that didn't twist my story to make it seem like I think of myself as a saint. I know what I did, know that it would have been more than reasonable to give me a warning, and know that it will get thrown out/dismissed in court. Once again, thanks to the people that actually helped. And to the others that offered no help, but rather rude responses/opinions, your time would have been better spent elsewhere.

I wasn't being rude or showing any colors. I was offering you sound advice. A GPS unit is a "portable computing device". And I've pointed you back to post #34 twice now. And its not your decision whether or not you get the ticket for it. Just as who you are or what you do. There is no entitlement that you can give that will make any LEO feel otherwise. You, on the other hand, are showing your true colors. You are arguing with people over the internet and ignoring the sound advice that has been offered from the start.
And maybe you will have it thrown out of court. That's no big deal. That's the judges decision. The officer still did his job the way he felt accordingly at the time of the stop. And maybe....just maybe....you ran your mouth too much trying to get out of the ticket so the officer was trying to get you to learn something.....like shut the hell up.

codycat91

Established Member
I wasn't being rude or showing any colors. I was offering you sound advice. A GPS unit is a "portable computing device". And I've pointed you back to post #34 twice now. And its not your decision whether or not you get the ticket for it. Just as who you are or what you do. There is no entitlement that you can give that will make any LEO feel otherwise. You, on the other hand, are showing your true colors. You are arguing with people over the internet and ignoring the sound advice that has been offered from the start.
And maybe you will have it thrown out of court. That's no big deal. That's the judges decision. The officer still did his job the way he felt accordingly at the time of the stop. And maybe....just maybe....you ran your mouth too much trying to get out of the ticket so the officer was trying to get you to learn something.....like shut the hell up.

It wasn't you I was referring to as rude. More so the people calling me obtuse, etc. I was nothing but respectful to the cop. You know exactly what I'm talking about of you are a cop, you know exactly what a new young Cop on a power trip is. I am not arguing. Also, it will be thrown out by the prosecutor not the judge. I will say one more time that I appreciate the help, and not the useless demeaning responses. As far as I'm concerned, enough has been said in this thread.

silver03svt

Established Member
It wasn't you I was referring to as rude. More so the people calling me obtuse, etc. I was nothing but respectful to the cop. You know exactly what I'm talking about of you are a cop, you know exactly what a new young Cop on a power trip is. I am not arguing. Also, it will be thrown out by the prosecutor not the judge. I will say one more time that I appreciate the help, and not the useless demeaning responses. As far as I'm concerned, enough has been said in this thread.

Well, I will disagree with you on the young cop on a power trip. I am 38, a 13 year veteran Trooper, and I still would have written the ticket for it. If you feel the cop was young and on a power trip, then so be it, but there are LEO's in here with more time on than I have that probably would have written it also. IF you become an LEO, you will learn quickly that a majority of people have the same mentality as you. They all have reasons to deserve a break. They're always an exception to the law and deserve a warning. Maybe someday you will see that. It's not personal, it's the LEO's job.

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
let us know how your attitude works out for you in court. the prosecuter wont throw it out, he may allow you to plea it down. the judge is not there to do you favors mr firefighter.

guys, this is one of those times we just need to stand back, dont say anything and let things run their course with this guy.

best of luck and thanks for working with disabled people.

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
here is a personal story of giving a guy a break and how it bit me in the ass.

october 31st 2001. me and another officer working uniformed hired off duty employment at a local haunted house event. about 11pm, there was a pretty big line to get in. a crowd of 8 to 10 people were very abnoxious taunting the characters who were volunteers working the event. one guy had a mask on and walking down the line playing with people.....one of the guys in the crowd who was being obnoxious punches the guy in the mask...so, the other officer and I attempted to gain control of him and he was fighting both of us. we wrestled him to the ground....it took both of us to restrain him. we were telling him to calm down, everyone in his party was creaming that we were killing him and jumped him for no reason. the guy in the mask was cool, he said he didnt want to press charges if he would just apologize.....so, we allowed him up, he apologized and left.

did i do a cool thing?

the next morning at 8am, i recieved a call from the sheriff asking me about the incident...if i had let someone go. i said yes, i did.

turned out, this guys uncle was an attorney and they were in the sheriffs office filing a complaint. not a complaint you would think.....they complained that i didnt charge the obnoxious guy with anything...in other words, they were complaining that i didnt take the guy to jail....i was like wtf, you cant be serious. the atty wanted to know why i didnt charge his nephew with anything.....i didnt know what to say.

in NC, as an LEO if i have to place my hands on you for any reason, you MUST be charged with something.

so...the sheriff told the atty i would be reprimanded....but as soon as they left we just laughed about it.

lesson learned.

Last edited:

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Perfect. Well there ya go. There is the law. Nothing about a gps. And that's a fact...

Thank you so much

You dont get that there is not an all inclusive list. Just because GPS is not specifically identified it is a portable electronic device that you can enter buttons while driving that distracts the driver, hence the law.

ttk53

Established Member
New York prohibits all drivers from using portable electronic devices.

Illegal activity includes holding an electronic device and:
•Composing, sending, reading, accessing, browsing, transmitting, saving, or retrieving electronic data such as e-mail, text messages, or webpages
•Viewing, taking, or transmitting images
•Playing games

The penalty for a violation of this law shall be a fine of up to $150 and 3 driver penalty points. It is a primary law, which means an officer may stop you if you are observed using a hand held device. The law does not penalize drivers using a handheld electronic device that is affixed to a vehicle surface or using a GPS device that is attached to the vehicle, or if drivers are using a handheld device to report an emergency to the authorities.

The law defines the following terms as:

(a) "Portable electronic device" shall mean any hand-held mobile telephone, as defined by subdivision one of section twelve hundred twenty-five-c of this article, personal digital assistant (PDA), handheld device with mobile data access, laptop computer, pager, broadband personal communication device, two-way messaging device, electronic game, or portable computing device.

(b) "Using" shall mean holding a portable electronic device while viewing, taking or transmitting images, playing games, or composing, sending, reading, viewing, accessing, browsing, transmitting, saving or retrieving e-mail, text messages, or other electronic data.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Introduction

Distracted Driving, Talking & Texting
Index & Overview (Top)

According to Merriam Webster, to DISTRACT is "to draw or direct (as one's attention) to a different object or in different directions at the same time." Any time a driver's attention is drawn away from the task of driving in a safe and defensive manner can be labeled as distracted driving. These distractions can be personal, external or internal.

Personal distractions can occur when the driver is impaired by daydreaming, alcohol, drugs, fatigue or unsafe practices like reading, writing, shaving, applying makeup or using electronic devices such as computers, cell phones, iPods or GPS navigation systems.

Internal distractions occur inside the car, caused by passengers, animals or objects inside the vehicle.

External distractions occur outside the car like other motorists, inclement weather, deteriorated road conditions, or even the scenery.

When these distractions occur behind the wheel of a motor vehicle the consequences can be far reaching or even deadly.

According to National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), in a report created in April 2006 entitled, The Impact of Driver Inattention On Near-Crash/Crash Risk: An Analysis Using the 100-Car Naturalistic Driving Study Data, driver inattention was defined for this report as one of the following:
1.Driver engagement in secondary tasks (those tasks not necessary to the primary task of driving)
2.Driver drowsiness
3.Driving-related inattention to the forward roadway
4.Non-specific eye glance away from the forward roadway

This study also listed "Driver Inattention" as the primary contributing factor to crashes and near crashes. Almost 80% of crashes and 65% of near crashes in this study involved the driver looking away from the forward roadway just prior to the conflict.
•Looking away for two or more seconds will double the risk of a crash or near crash.
•Driver inattention due to drowsiness will increase the risk of a crash or near crash by at least four times.
•A driver who is engaged in a secondary task while driving also increases their risk factor.

◦The following actions: talking, listening or dialing a hand held device; inserting or retrieving a compact disc; operating a PDA; reading, applying makeup or eating will increase the driver risk factor of a crash or near crash by two to three times.

Of late, the most frequent form of distraction while driving has been due to cell phone use and texting.

It was in a two-day summit on distracted driving in Washington D.C. in which DOT Secretary, Ray LaHood, referred to Distracted Driving as an "epidemic."

ATTENTION: All Commercial Motor Vehicle Drivers:

Please note the Federal Ban on Texting for Commercial Truck and Bus Drivers which was announced by the U.S. Transportation Secretary, Ray LaHood. The ban is on the use cell phones to text while driving a commercial vehicle. The prohibition, which took effect on January 26, 2010, is the first step towards the safety of commercial drivers and motorists who share the road with them.

Those truck and bus drivers who are convicted of texting while driving commercial vehicles may be subject to civil or criminal penalties of up to $2,750.

The regulatory guidance on the texting ban for commercial truck and bus drivers is on public display in the Federal Register and available in printed form in the Federal Register.

The public can follow the progress of the U.S. Department of Transportation in working to combat distracted driving and a distracted driving commercial at Distracted Driving | National Highway Traffic Safety Administration | Texting and Driving.

NEW YORK STATE'S CELLULAR PHONE LAW

Use of a hand-held cellular telephone to engage in a call while driving is prohibited in New York State, pursuant to Vehicle and Traffic Law Section 1225c. This law became effective December 1, 2001 violators may be issued a ticket for a traffic infraction, resulting in a fine of up to $150.

Exceptions:
•When the driver uses a hands-free mobile telephone, which allows the user to communicate without the use of either hand.
•When the purpose of the phone call is to communicate an emergency to a police or fire department, a hospital or physician's office, or an ambulance corps.
•When operating an authorized emergency vehicle in the performance of official duties.

Please remember that 911 is for emergencies only.

Dialing 911 is a free call for cellular subscribers. Police and EMS officials say that in many cases response times have been cut, criminals have been apprehended and lives have been saved due to calls from cellular phone users.

silver03svt

Established Member
New York prohibits all drivers from using portable electronic devices.
The penalty for a violation of this law shall be a fine of up to $150 and 3 driver penalty points. It is a primary law, which means an officer may stop you if you are observed using a hand held device. The law does not penalize drivers using a handheld electronic device that is affixed to a vehicle surface or using a GPS device that is attached to the vehicle, or if drivers are using a handheld device to report an emergency to the authorities.

The law defines the following terms as:

(a) "Portable electronic device" shall mean any hand-held mobile telephone, as defined by subdivision one of section twelve hundred twenty-five-c of this article, personal digital assistant (PDA), handheld device with mobile data access, laptop computer, pager, broadband personal communication device, two-way messaging device, electronic game, or portable computing device.

(b) "Using" shall mean holding a portable electronic device while viewing, taking or transmitting images, playing games, or composing, sending, reading, viewing, accessing, browsing, transmitting, saving or retrieving e-mail, text messages, or other electronic data.

OP, by your own admission you were holding it in your hand.

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
So what we have learned today is, if you don't agree with the OP's logic, feelings and point of view then you are hereby a rude, uncompassionate, rude person. Yet he comes in here seeking advice from the same people who gave him the ticket yet he doesn't want to believe anything they tell him... LOL

Someone sounds a little spoiled and needs to grow up a little.

Best of luck with your minor ticket.

Last edited:

CSD

Banned
I think it is ridiculous to give a ticket for holding a gps. It's not like I was talking or even texting on a phone. He was a prick just in the way he acted. I guess you'll just have to trust me on that. I know what a decent respectful cop is and what a young prick is. He could have given me a warning. From every experience with a cop I have ever had, both on and of the job, we show each other mutual respect and professional courtesy. I didn't Openly come out and say those three things; I showed him my license which is a cdl, and asked if he wanted to see my blue light card. When I asked if he really needed to give me a ticket, and that I get the whole police thing, he just threatened to give me more tickets. Which I should have called his bluff as I was literally doing nothing else wrong. I also asked a cop I know if they can even give a ticket for holding a gps and he said technically, no. So I awaiting to hear back from him...

You sound like an enormous crybaby.

You guys need to look at it from the persons perspective you pull over. It's not always the bet thing to give a ticket. This just motivates me even more to become a cop, and be one that people respect, and don't have the same unprofessional experiences I have had.

People will walk all over you with that attitude.

I work 60+ hours a week as well as go to school full time, and I pay for all my schooling myself and I just think it sucks that he took nothing into consideration and gave me the ticket. I can't afford the ticket, nor do I feel like going through all the court bs

How come? Are you in debt up to your eyeballs because of the expensive modifications on your vehicle? Perhaps your saving for parts you want but don't need? Let's take a look at your signature, shall we..

codycat91 Signature said:
MMR 1000 4.75 Stroker, Teksid block .020 over, 9.27:1CR, Posi Race Ported Eaton, Fore hat, twin GT pumps, KB BAP, 60lbs, 3.55's

Need:
60lb Injectors
flywheel/clutch
6lb lower
wideband
Posi port

One thing is clear, you need to learn responsibility. Pay the ticket and next time stop for ten seconds and put the GPS in its holder so you're not distracted while driving. Good luck

EvergreenSVT

Established Member
in NC, as an LEO if i have to place my hands on you for any reason, you MUST be charged with something.

Please don't ever pull me out of a burning car.:dw:

In case anyone is wondering, the above is a joke.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread