Really pissed off

codycat91

Established Member
I was driving to meet my friend at a place I haven't been to before, so I was using my gps. Rather than digging out my gps holder like I usually do, I decided just to hold it. I doubt it would've stuck to the icy window anyway. So I passed a cop and he pulled me over. Instead of stopping in the shoulder-less two-lane busy road, I pulled off the road in a parking lot conveniently right next to when he lit me up. I have a cdl, am a firefighter, work with disabled people, and he didn't want to hear any of it. He was a young prick cop on a power trip. I deal with police officers almost everyday being a firefighter, and I get it. I want to be a cop and have been on countless rides longs with local, and state police depts. I get the whole ticket thing and whatnot, but he was rude and showed absolutely no respect to me. I was nothing but nice to him. This was the young kind of cop that makes people hate cops. So the ticket is for "using a portable electronic device." I told him it was a gps and he said it didn't matter, said I needed a mount. What can I do to get out of this bullshit ticket?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
I was driving to meet my friend at a place I haven't been to before, so I was using my gps. Rather than digging out my gps holder like I usually do, I decided just to hold it. I doubt it would've stuck to the icy window anyway. So I passed a cop and he pulled me over. Instead of stopping in the shoulder-less two-lane busy road, I pulled off the road in a parking lot conveniently right next to when he lit me up. I have a cdl, am a firefighter, work with disabled people, and he didn't want to hear any of it. He was a young prick cop on a power trip. I deal with police officers almost everyday being a firefighter, and I get it. I want to be a cop and have been on countless rides longs with local, and state police depts. I get the whole ticket thing and whatnot, but he was rude and showed absolutely no respect to me. I was nothing but nice to him. This was the young kind of cop that makes people hate cops. So the ticket is for "using a portable electronic device." I told him it was a gps and he said it didn't matter, said I needed a mount. What can I do to get out of this bullshit ticket?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The officer didnt want to hear that you have a cdl, are a firefighter, or work with disabled people? Really? I wonder why not? Maybe because it has nothing to do with the reason for you being stopped. Obviously, you thought it would get you out of a ticket and are mad because it didnt. So, other than that how did he show you no respect, did he yell or curse at you? If so, call his department and file a complaint.

Go to court and explain it to the judge. This ticket is simply an allegation and not the end all say all.

BTW, what is bullshit about the ticket since you freely admit you were holding this portable electronic device in your hand while driving?

04svtsnke

Established Member
the officer didnt want to hear that you have a cdl, are a firefighter, or work with disabled people? Really? I wonder why not? Maybe because it has nothing to do with the reason for you being stopped. Obviously, you thought it would get you out of a ticket and are mad because it didnt. So, other than that how did he show you no respect, did he yell or curse at you? If so, call his department and file a complaint.

Go to court and explain it to the judge. This ticket is simply an allegation and not the end all say all.

Btw, what is bullshit about the ticket since you freely admit you were holding this portable electronic device in your hand while driving?

+122837374858

codycat91

Established Member
I think it is ridiculous to give a ticket for holding a gps. It's not like I was talking or even texting on a phone. He was a prick just in the way he acted. I guess you'll just have to trust me on that. I know what a decent respectful cop is and what a young prick is. He could have given me a warning. From every experience with a cop I have ever had, both on and of the job, we show each other mutual respect and professional courtesy. I didn't Openly come out and say those three things; I showed him my license which is a cdl, and asked if he wanted to see my blue light card. When I asked if he really needed to give me a ticket, and that I get the whole police thing, he just threatened to give me more tickets. Which I should have called his bluff as I was literally doing nothing else wrong. I also asked a cop I know if they can even give a ticket for holding a gps and he said technically, no. So I awaiting to hear back from him...

codycat91

Established Member
You guys need to look at it from the persons perspective you pull over. It's not always the bet thing to give a ticket. This just motivates me even more to become a cop, and be one that people respect, and don't have the same unprofessional experiences I have had.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
so you were holding a person electronic device and you got a ticket for it?

Did he decide to give you a ticket before or after you expected to be let go after mentioning that you were a firefighter, CDL holder, or work with the disabled?

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
Was he a prick? Perhaps. Should he have given you "professional courtesy?" maybe but then again maybe not. Maybe he thought a ticket was warranted because he's seen too many wrecks involving people being distracted while driving.

I say plead your case to the judge if you feel that strongly about it. But they are likely only going to be interested in the FACTS of the case. IOW's, were you physically holding an electronic device while driving? If the answer is yes you're probably going to pay the ticket, spend a day in court- and at the end of the day the result is the same. Just pay the ticket and move on. He's got you dead to rights.

codycat91

Established Member
so you were holding a person electronic device and you got a ticket for it?

Did he decide to give you a ticket before or after you expected to be let go after mentioning that you were a firefighter, CDL holder, or work with the disabled?

I never came out and said had a cdl. It was just on my license, obviously. And I didn't say I was a ff, but he saw my blue light, I offered to show him my blue light card. And he saw my ff id when I was looking for my license. I didn't tel him I worked with disabled people, didn't mean to make it seem like I told him that, I was just saying.

codycat91

Established Member
I work 60+ hours a week as well as go to school full time, and I pay for all my schooling myself and I just think it sucks that he took nothing into consideration and gave me the ticket. I can't afford the ticket, nor do I feel like going through all the court bs

Lawfficer

Just a dude with a car
Established Member
Well, you got a ticket for using a portable electronic device and you were using a electronic portable device.

I don't think it matters if it was cell phone, GPS, DVD player, HazMat tracker, etc. It's in you hand limiting your ability to control the car, and at the same time is to some degree, demanding your attention which removes it from the road where it should be.

Basically what you are saying is, you want a break because of who you are(CLD holder, firefighter, and work with diabled people). What is the difference between you and the punk 16yr old kid on his cell phone saying "Do you know who my father is??"

In my opinion, you broke the law and you rolled the dice. If I ever got pulled over, and I have, I would expect the ticket regardless of people knowing me and what I do. Anything else, I would consider myself lucky.

Last edited:

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Basically what you are saying is, you want a break because of who you are(CLD holder, firefighter, and work with diabled people). What is the difference between you and the punk 16yr old kid on his cell phone saying "Do you know who my father is??".

you forgot that he is also a student who pays for everything himself by working 60+ hours a week and he can't afford the ticket, that alone says he is apparently entitled to use handheld electronic devices with no consequences.

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
How in the hell did peope get to places they've never been to before GPS' were invented?

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
I work 60+ hours a week as well as go to school full time, and I pay for all my schooling myself and I just think it sucks that he took nothing into consideration and gave me the ticket. I can't afford the ticket, nor do I feel like going through all the court bs

All of those things are potential mitigating factors for the courtroom but not the side of the road. Per your own admission you did what you have been accused of. Now go explain it to the man in the black robe.

thepizz

OP is a good person
Established Member
Working with disabled people is something you should do from your heart, not to let people "know" how great of a person you are. Wanting a PC because you're a FF is understandable, but the hours you work, a cdl, good student, etc have nothing to due with getting a ticket. Those are factors a judge would consider in court in determining what type of person you are. Now you want officers to consider these things during traffic stops? Maybe we should all keep a "character resume" in the car next to our paperwork! Pay the ticket and stop crying.

joeg215

Readin posts, rollin eyes
Established Member
Working with disabled people is something you should do from your heart, not to let people "know" how great of a person you are. Wanting a PC because you're a FF is understandable, but the hours you work, a cdl, good student, etc have nothing to due with getting a ticket.

Being a firefighter has nothing to do with getting a ticket either.

I feel for you OP, but you gotta deal with the dumb shit to get the good shit.

BM1

Established Member
It's already been explained what you should do. Go to court like an adult and explain the situation to the judge. The side of the road is not the place to debate a ticket.

Maybe you should sell your GPS to pay for the ticket since you said you can't afford it. Kill two birds with one stone.

Last edited:

10thSVT_03

Doin it!
Established Member
All of those things are potential mitigating factors for the courtroom but not the side of the road. Per your own admission you did what you have been accused of. Now go explain it to the man in the black robe.

I love your responses. There no bullshit and to the point with some comedy for flavor. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread