Rear Axle Bushing Hell! and...some Steeda stuff

Chris Proia

Established Member
Yes, that's where I've been keeping myself lately but I eventually got the last laugh. I'll let the pics do the talking because frankly I'm exhausted and my back is killing me. Oh...btw - my next major tool purchase will be a mutha$#!&#% lift!!! I'm getting to old to be doing this sh#t on my back.

BushingHell_zps902c71f7.jpg

UCA1_zps160fb8a0.jpg

UCA2_zpsf535e0d8.jpg

PanhardDriverSide_zps43160b5f.jpg

PanhardPassSide_zps3b0aff1a.jpg

PanhardDriverSide2_zpsde22337a.jpg

Last edited:

NoSlo5oH

Established Member
How difficult was it to install the Steeda differential bushing? Did you remove the rear end from the car to do the install?

Chris Proia

Established Member
How difficult was it to install the Steeda differential bushing? Did you remove the rear end from the car to do the install?

It was a major pain in the ass! No, I left the rear end in the car as the bushing is accessible. I purchased the following tool on Ebay and it worked well but you will be cranking away like a SOB before that puppy decides to leave its home...lol And pressing in the Steeda spherical bearing was just as bad.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-ROTUND..._Automotive_Tools&hash=item3f2fdfb57d&vxp=mtr

NoSlo5oH

Established Member
It was a major pain in the ass! No, I left the rear end in the car as the bushing is accessible. I purchased the following tool on Ebay and it worked well but you will be cranking away like a SOB before that puppy decides to leave its home...lol And pressing in the Steeda spherical bearing was just as bad.

Ford Rotunda Tool OTC 205 813 Bushing Remover Installer Set F38B84 | eBay

Did you soak it in break-free before attempting to remove it? I have a similar tool which I used on my 04 Mach1. However, It doesn't appear as if it will would work on the 2011-2014 Mustang. So the Steeda piece presses in huh? I don't know why, but I thought it was a two piece design that screwed into the differential. How is the overall fitment on the UCA? Did you have to use spacers on the poly side and differential side?

Thanks

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
Bmr makes a eurothane version of the same bushing but i think its used in conjunction with what you just removed.

Any added noise with the new bushing?

Chris Proia

Established Member
Did you soak it in break-free before attempting to remove it? I have a similar tool which I used on my 04 Mach1. However, It doesn't appear as if it will would work on the 2011-2014 Mustang. So the Steeda piece presses in huh? I don't know why, but I thought it was a two piece design that screwed into the differential. How is the overall fitment on the UCA? Did you have to use spacers on the poly side and differential side?

Thanks

I didn't use any type of lubricant but that doesn't sound like a bad idea. The Steeda bearing is a two piece design but there is no way in hell you're going to push it in with your hand...lol Fitment of the UCA is excellent! Steeda provides stepped spacers for the poly side with the large side of the spacer going against the bushing and the steeped side against the mount.

Bmr makes a eurothane version of the same bushing but i think its used in conjunction with what you just removed.

Any added noise with the new bushing?

Yep, sounds like a damn gear driven blower behind me...lmao In all fairness, my seat is still removed and my car has the dreaded 3.73's. Once I put the seat back in Ill update the thread with my impressions on NVH.

Badlilstang

Established Member
I just did the rear end housing bushings on my Dad's 87 Buick Grand national.. I feel your pain.. I beat the pill out of that thing wiht a sledge and a screw driver trying to colapse it. I even drilled the bushing out of it lol. It's a job I will pay someone to do next time!

5lho

Established Member
old school 5.0 last time I did this so, two bushings. Burn 'em with the torch to detach the rubber elastomer, pull out bushing, then bash in the collars with a cold chisel to get em out...fun. Knock new ones in w. big socket and hammer. I also did poly on the front control arms, which was equally hilarious. I'm in no hurry to do that stuff on this car.

BMR Tech

I typically recommend a 1.5" long hole saw bit.

Zip, zip, bang, bang, done.

Last edited:

01bluesnake

Established Member
I run the same axle housing bushing in mine, have no complaints. It went really smooth for me, of coarse i have an actual bushing tool which made it all of a 5 min job.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I run the same axle housing bushing in mine, have no complaints. It went really smooth for me, of coarse i have an actual bushing tool which made it all of a 5 min job.

the nice thing about being a ford tech.

86merc

Established Member
Done that before with out the tool. No fun at all.

Great. So when I have you install one on my car this spring 5 minutes of your hourly rate is gonna make it a cheap bill! haha

Users who are viewing this thread