rear end whine

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
i know there have been a couple threads here discussing rear end whine. just trying to get an idea if anyone has had any success in dealing with ford regarding this. i had no noticeable whine when i first bought the car.

at about 300 miles i noticed a mild whine at 50-60mph. seemed to whine when i was on the gas cruising, but let up if i let up on the gas and wast coasting (always thought that meant gear whine). i notified the dealer and was told this was normal for the car (just like others have experienced).

then i drove the car to chicago with my wife at 1000 miles---the whine seemed louder and was at higher speeds as well. cruising on the freeway was a bit annoying. now, at near 1500 miles its downright loud, and obvious. i called the dealer and they claim an engineer from ford will come out to my house monday to look at the car---whatever. not sure what he's going to say other than "yeah, that's ****ing annoying". only good news is the clutch seems to be holding up. brakes still squeal, and haven't gotten rid of the rattle at high rpms.

fastozzy

Whalenstein
Established Member
So far mine is good, no whine but I'm only around the 350 mark.

I see you list a 1985 T-Top GT, I have one as well that I purchased new in December of 1985, only has 48,000 miles on it. Mines white with black stripes.

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
Yea I made a thread about it, its really more of nuissance. The car functions fine, but the dealer would not even open the rear end because Ford told them not to. But they did confirm hearing a noticeable whine...so screw Ford, im taking it this week to a buddy of mine. Hes going to open it, check everything including the backlash ( mineral had his adjusted and it eliminated the whine, it was way off the accepted range) and then add amsoil with friction modifier. Hopefully it eliminates it or tones it down cuz its annoying at 60-80mph

03reptile

Established Member
Have the same ring and pinion whine at a steady 70 MPH. Have 1600 miles on the car, 2013 non-PP & TP. Took it in, gave service manager a ride, and he confirmed my belief that it was the R&P. He ordered a new set. I'm out of town and will have it installed when I get back in later November. No issues with having to jump through any Ford rep. hoops.

eagle eye

Established Member
I'm curious about the differential whine that your hearing. Are these non-Torsen differentials or both?
Does it happen under acceleration, deceleration, or loading the car side to side?

Last edited:

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
I'm curious about the differential whine that your hearing. Are these non-Torsen differentials or both?
Does it happen under acceleration, deceleration, or loading the car side to side?

Power pack here. Whines at any rpm, any mph. The whine is now horrible at highway speeds. Put the car on cruise and its constant. Accelerate, and you hear it. Let up on the gas, and it goes away for a couple seconds before there's load on the differential, and then it comes back, just not as loud. Ease back into the throttle to get back up to speed and you hear it again. I just can't possibly see how it could be anything but the differential. At this point there's absolutely no way ill let ford tell me this is normal. I can't turn the radio up loud enough to make it go away.

Like I said, I had the rear in my ctsv replaced for the same reason and it went away completely. And it wasn't nearly as bad as the cobra, as far as noise goes, when I had it replaced

Farmer-Ted

I pooped a little.
Established Member
Power pack here. Whines at any rpm, any mph. The whine is now horrible at highway speeds. Put the car on cruise and its constant. Accelerate, and you hear it. Let up on the gas, and it goes away for a couple seconds before there's load on the differential, and then it comes back, just not as loud. Ease back into the throttle to get back up to speed and you hear it again. I just can't possibly see how it could be anything but the differential. At this point there's absolutely no way ill let ford tell me this is normal. I can't turn the radio up loud enough to make it go away.

Like I said, I had the rear in my ctsv replaced for the same reason and it went away completely. And it wasn't nearly as bad as the cobra, as far as noise goes, when I had it replaced

Does it do it in all gears?

Dave G

Established Member
I've been down this road with the 8.8 rear in the past with my 06GT with a whipple h.o. kit. 3 gearsets, two differentials, you get the picture (the warranty didn't cover it since it was a blower car...which I totally understood). This GT500 rear should have had a girdle cover for starters...that's a no brainer. With a 3.31 gear ratio and good traction, a 3-4k rpm launch with a clutch dump or even a really quick release is going to do some damage. Either immediately or in a short time...the design just can't handle this kind of power. If traction doesn't give out first then the bearings, caps, carrier, etc. will do things they were never meant to do. The shock load on things is just too much! Ford needs to make a larger and beefier version of this design if the 9 inch isn't feasible. They dropped the ball as far as reliability goes on this one. The rear end needs to be bullet proof with this kind of power!!! SVT engineers please step up and come up with a fix for this!!! Gear whine in a $60,000 sports car is unacceptable.

Last edited:

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
Had no whine in mine. Non-pp.

Edit- and mine had 6500miles on it in about 4 mos. new owner in Australia, also having no issues

Last edited:

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
I have whine, and Ford refuses to deal with it. So F them. 3.73's are going in at the end of year along with other parts if need be to make sure its solid.

Dave G

Established Member
For those with no whine...here is how to cause it. Warm up the tires thoroughly with a nice drive...make sure it's a warm sunny day and you're on some nice fresh, coarse asphalt. From a complete stop rev the engine to 4,000rpm (peak torque point, 631ft lbs through a 2.66 trans gear...lots of shock load potential) and quickly release the clutch while pushing the accelerator to the floor. Listen for the loud bang in the suspension (another design flaw) and smell the smoke from the tires being shredded...the poor traction-lok doesn't stand a chance and sooner or later the torsen will break too. Do this 2 or three times and there you go...20+ thousandths backlash, an f'd up rear, and lots of gear whine.

Last edited:

Dave G

Established Member
And if you really want to f things up...do the same thing in second gear.

shelbysvt

Established Member
For those with no whine...here is how you can get some. Warm up the tires thoroughly with a nice drive...make sure it's a warm sunny day and you're on some nice fresh, coarse asphalt. From a complete stop rev the engine to 4,000rpm (peak torque point, 631ft lbs through a 2.66 trans gear...lots of shock load potential) and quickly release the clutch while pushing the accelerator to the floor. Listen for the loud bang in the suspension (another design flaw) and smell the smoke from the tires being shredded...the poor traction-lok doesn't stand a chance and sooner or later the torsen will break too. Do this 2 or three times and there you go...20+ thousandths backlash, an f'd up rear, and lots of gear whine. Thanks SVT.

Lol. Maybe we should make another thread for those that have whine, have you launched the car?

To those who don't have whine you either dodged a bullet or it is just a matter of time before those side bearing dig into the carrier of your differentials or you are deaf or don't know what gear whine sounds like and take it as normal. All my rear end stuff is getting replaced next week as soon as the replacement torsen comes into the dealership.

I agree Ford did not make this rear end stout enough to handle the HP they made. I can't believe they did all that work on the engine and even the transmission to hold the hp, but the only suspension changes are sway bars, shocks, and springs and no rear axle changes causing people to get epidemic gear whine or broken axles on stock cars.

I would add clutches into that category but that I honestly think was just a bad batch of clutches which can happen to anyone.

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
I put my car through the paces with 6500miles in less than 4mos. Zero whine. 12passes, Launch control used multiple times, and then a furious ride up and down the tail of the dragon.

Alot of whine will be had if youre in too low of a gear- the rear end doesn't like that.

Not to say there aren't whine issues, but it really should be a simple fix.

I've also know people to mistake gear whine for tire humm

Last edited:

hognutz

Established Member
I put my car through the paces with 6500miles in less than 4mos. Zero whine. 12passes, Launch control used multiple times, and then a furious ride up and down the tail of the dragon.

Alot of whine will be had if youre in too low of a gear- the rear end doesn't like that.

Not to say there aren't whine issues, but it really should be a simple fix.

I've also know people to mistake gear whine for tire humm

these goodyears do humm quite horribly. thats one issue with the internet is hard to get a good sampling. some people baby the car, some of havr low miles. so don't know what gear whine is. tire hum is constant at speed though and changes over surface. on some surfaces these tires don't hum bad at all. so it would be easy to separte the two if you know what your listening for.

I really think people having issues should just check there gear setup. backlash is a very static simple measurment to make buy a dial indicator they are not that expensive. measruing it will not void your waranty. If you have a ton of backlash ford should fix it. take photos of the range and say here you go backlash is out of tolerance.

you check your wear patter with white grease nothing to void a waranty there either. if you have proof the stetup is off. I would think ford would have not choice but to repair.

they can say the noise is normal but the backlash and wear pattern are a known entity so to speak they will have a hard time arguing that away.

03reptile

Established Member
Just an up-date on my 2013 ring & pinion issue. Had it replaced and the Technician also found one of the carrier bearings in the differential had spun, causing the R&P to go off their proper set, thus the cause for the whine. Car was repaired and with over 1000 miles on it since the repair, it is flawless and quiet as a church mouse. A second member had the same thing occur and was in my Tech's bay a week after mine was replaced.

Devious Snake: You need to speak with you Ford dealer. Have them call Century Ford, Mt. Airy, Md. 301-831-5252, and speak with the Service Manager, Chris Mullen. He is aware of this spinning bearing problem (as is Ford) and can give them some guidence in repairing the differential. It is not easily found unless the Tech is looking for it, but its there. Our Tech was more of a detective and found the reason for the failure through his own diligence. If the failed bearing had not been discovered, the newly installed R&P would have failed as did the original one. I think there are a number of these rear ends that had the faulty spun bearing that has caused the failure of the R&P. We did a long thread on this issue while it was happening and the Tech was also on the forum telling everyone about the issue he found. Just do a search and you'll find it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread