Rear Mount Turbo Setup

r.barn

Established Member
I'm no expert, but there is more to it then just heat energy, A lot more. From what ive seen, many front mount turbos dont spool for shit. So whats the problem, they should have a bunch of heat right ?

Corky Bell explains it much better than I could. I suggest you pick up a copy of his book "Maximum Boost". It is a must read for anyone doing custom turbo work.
BARNES & NOBLE | Maximum Boost: Designing, Testing, and Installing Turbocharger Systems by Corky Bell, Bentley Publishers | Paperback

My point that you seem to have a hard on about is that a rear mount system will never be as responsive or trouble free as a front mount. And it wont. It's called the laws of physics. There is more air to push, more restrictions and more parts to fail (namely the oil return pump). StckJk hit the nail on the head, when was the last time you saw an OEM rear mount turbo ? .... Never.

Illtaketwlight

Established Member
Corky Bell explains it much better than I could. I suggest you pick up a copy of his book "Maximum Boost". It is a must read for anyone doing custom turbo work.
BARNES & NOBLE | Maximum Boost: Designing, Testing, and Installing Turbocharger Systems by Corky Bell, Bentley Publishers | Paperback

My point that you seem to have a hard on about is that a rear mount system will never be as responsive or trouble free as a front mount. And it wont. It's called the laws of physics. There is more air to push, more restrictions and more parts to fail (namely the oil return pump). StckJk hit the nail on the head, when was the last time you saw an OEM rear mount turbo ? .... Never.

Speaking of OEM's. I never seen a real efferent stock turbo system. From what I've been reading. They are designing turbo system that require less heat. So i'm sure before long we will see some rear mount turbo systems from the OEM's. Heat doesn't increase velocity. It increases volume. The heat problem has been the turbo killer for as long as i cant remember with the OEM's. 1500 degrees under the hood temps isn't something to look forward to. I'm sure we will see turbocharger system soon that dont rely on heat. I'm going to work on mine so when it does come around i'm ready. The days of a glowing red turbo will be gone. Soon........... JMHO

PhillyLS1

Established Member
STS's kit is garbage.

However there's nothing wrong with a rear mount system if it's done right. My LS1 ran 10.60's with a rear mount.

There are benefits to a rear mount, again done properly. IAT's aren't as high, weight transfer and they sound kinda awesome.

Problem is when you have a company like STS that has scavenging pumps failing, it gives rearmounts a bad name.

In defense of STS I drove my Camaro from Philly to Orlando and back with no issues. If you know what you're doing they can be beastly. And there's no lag differential from any other turbo car. Anyone complaining about lag must have never lived through the 80's lol.

CPRsm

Speaking of OEM's. I never seen a real efferent stock turbo system. From what I've been reading. They are designing turbo system that require less heat. So i'm sure before long we will see some rear mount turbo systems from the OEM's.
If OEM designs for less heat it's more than likely for the life of the cat.

Heat doesn't increase velocity. It increases volume. The heat problem has been the turbo killer for as long as i cant remember with the OEM's.
It goes hand and hand. When heat goes up, volume does go up. But if the size tube remains the same, that larger volume will be forced to speed up.

Illtaketwlight

Established Member
If OEM designs for less heat it's more than likely for the life of the cat.

It goes hand and hand. When heat goes up, volume does go up. But if the size tube remains the same, that larger volume will be forced to speed up.

What does the cat have to do with the hot side ?

CPRsm

Because you brought up OEM trying to make turbo kits that run on less heat. :smmon:
The cat was the only reason I could see why OEM would try that.

Illtaketwlight

Established Member
Because you brought up OEM trying to make turbo kits that run on less heat. :smmon:
The cat was the only reason I could see why OEM would try that.

The reason they want less heat is. 1- Exhaust manifolds cracking. 2- Exhaust stud breaking 3-Turbo water coolant hoses cracking and would leak and cause over heating. 4-Turbo bearings would coke and fail. 5- Vacuum hoses cracking. These are just a few problems i remember fixing on turbo cars. Ive had many sell there cars because of how many times they had to return to the dealer for warranty work. Nothing to do with the cats. Oh and they can use cheaper materials, bean counters. :poke:

Users who are viewing this thread