Rear Spool for the streets

stangn

Established Member
It'll work just eats up tires from turning corners. Ran my fox body that way, but it wasn't an everyday driver either. Guess it all depends on what you can tolerate.

Ignotbullet

Established Member
Yea the car is my DD but I would like a stout rear end but I don't want to have to pay $630 for a locker and still have the stock axles.

vortecd

Established Member
Hated it! Ran low 9's in my old fox with a 31 trac lok with no ploblems. Decided to upgrade the axles to 33's and went with a spool thinking the rear was my weak link. The car saw 90% street time and I hated turning at low speeds which was harder and the tires would churp, that bugged me the most

If your car is an auto I would stick with the stock trac lok

Last edited:

CPRsm

Not bad. Liked better than a locker. Less jumping and doesn't clunk like a locker. Spool will be more pronounced w a stickier tire

Force Induced

Boost Addict
Established Member
I'm running a spool after considering a few locker options just seemed best way to go for big power. Will report once its in the car and rolling.

Ignotbullet

Established Member
Sounds good thank you for your responses. I think I will go with a spool it holds more power, it's a true 50/50 split, less rotating mass = more power and it's cheaper.

RUQWKNF

KEEPER OF MANY SECRETS
Established Member
Spool on a DD?
I don't recommend it. Lord forbid you ever have to push it around by yourself. Put a sticky tire on it and need to move the car by yourself becomes 11ty billion times more difficult. Also, it will destroy a set of regular radials' outer tread blocks pretty quick. If it was your weekend toy and not driven daily, sure, go for it. I ran a spool on my last weekend toy and even though it worked great at the track, it was not friendly on the street with regular radials.
Just my opinion.

itSSlow98

Established Member
I have a spool in mine and the only time im truly bothered by it is backing into a tight parking spot. I wouldnt want it on a daily though.

Scuba-Matt

Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
Established Member
Not going to be fun in turns when its raining. The spool is designed with one kind of racing in mind, going straight.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread