Recent Install on my rear end

PC03GT

Established Member
Glad everything is good now. I went with the same setup, no problems so far, hopefully it stays that way

kwarnerjr

Established Member
UPDATE:

There are a string of other threads related to this one but I figured I’ll use this as the main thread to update.

To refresh,
In June of 2017 I purchased the Strange S-trac and 35 spline axle kit. I had it installed in August of 2017 because it took that long to receive the parts. In November of 2017 (approximately 5 passes on the Strange parts later) I had a bearing failure with the s-trac and had to ship the unit to Strange. Strange cleaned it and sent it back with a new bearing and a bill. In March of 2017 (8 passes later) I bent the axles and have similar sounds coming from the s-trac as when the Strange bearing had previously failed and left metal shavings circulating in the differential. The car has been immobile ever since.

Long story short, do not buy this set up. On the stock rear end I made upwards of 50 passes with zero issues from the differential. I did bend two stock axles but that’s easily avoidable via soft launches.

Upon contacting Strange they told me they would need 2-3 weeks to examine all parts to asses warranty eligibility. My shop for obvious reasons can’t hold the car with no rear end for that long so I said I’ll buy new parts now and after review apply for a credit/refund...Strange said they were not willing to do that.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Last edited:

PC03GT

Established Member
UPDATE:

There are a string of other threads related to this one but I figured I’ll use this as the main thread to update.

To refresh,
In June of 2017 I purchased the Strange S-trac and 35 spline axle kit. I had it installed in August of 2017 because it took that long to receive the parts. In November of 2017 (approximately 5 passes on the Strange parts later) I had a bearing failure with the s-trac and had to ship the unit to Strange. Strange cleaned it and sent it back with a new bearing and a bill. In March of 2017 (8 passes later) I bent the axles and have similar sounds coming from the s-trac as when the Strange bearing had previously failed and left metal shavings circulating in the differential. The car has been immobile ever since.

Long story short, do not buy this set up. On the stock rear end I made upwards of 50 passes with zero issues from the differential. I did bend two stock axles but that’s easily avoidable via soft launches.

Upon contacting Strange they told me they would need 2-3 weeks to examine all parts to asses warranty eligibility. My shop for obvious reasons can’t hold the car with no rear end for that long so I said I’ll buy new parts now and after review apply for a credit/refund...Strange said they were not willing to do that.

Damn, you can't win man. I haven't had any issues with mine. Good luck

kwarnerjr

Established Member
I should mention that Strange actually called me back a few minutes ago and amended their stance regarding the the warranty process. I left them a voicemail and I suppose won a sympathy vote lol so the saga continues at least a few more days before I out right hit the reset button.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Damn! That’s awful. Hopefully they take care of you.

fearthesnake

Established Member
Dang that sucks.

I would just forego the Strange build for the 3rd time. It wont last imo. Doesnt appear to last. Can you just go 9 inch rear and Ford parts?

NIXDSG

Established Member
I did a similar route. Update, upgraded, reinforced, fortified, ...., 8.8 still didn't work. I stalled M9 with 4.10 gears and no longer any issues.

Just go 9".

NIXDSG

Bearbo

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
If you have a track pack vehicle, are there any issues or hindrances to prevent from going M9?

fearthesnake

Established Member
I should mention that Strange actually called me back a few minutes ago and amended their stance regarding the the warranty process. I left them a voicemail and I suppose won a sympathy vote lol so the saga continues at least a few more days before I out right hit the reset button.

Have we hit the reset button or sticking with Strange?

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
UPDATE:

To refresh,

Moral of the story; Strange is not what they used to be. Beware of Strange.

How strange is that?

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
great writeup thanx. going that same route with the 35 spline/Strac. How does it ride of the street when turning compared to the stock set-up?

Funny you ask, the shop said it sort of just screwed back into place. Thought everything was good to go but I took it for a spirited drive this morning and can hear something loose...so the real answer to that question is "too be determined" unfortunately.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Jus seen this update. I will tell u with my experience in having rear ends installed and the failure of gears grinding is almost always the fault of the INSTALLER himself.

My shop which is a very experienced shop won't even touch a rear end install and has one guy come out and do all the installs cause a lot of ppl **** up the install and therefore they fail prematurely. Its not just something ANY shop can pull of properly.

I don't think the quality of the parts has anything to do with ur issues. I have at least half a dozen buddies who drag their cars with that same set-up and they have never had any issues and they beat the shit out of their cars and they make probably 500 more hp then ur car does!

UPDATE:

To refresh,

JB_2010GT500

Established Member
great writeup thanx. going that same route with the 35 spline/Strac. How does it ride of the street when turning compared to the stock set-up?

I have this same setup and can’t tell the difference vs stock when driving the streets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kwarnerjr

Established Member
Update:

My Car went into the shop on 4/18....it took until 5/10 for Strange to give my shop a quote for a replacement axle and give an estimated time they would be able to ship it out. Im baffled how it takes that long just for a simple quote, not even a warranty job...just a straight up repurchase lol

Right now I’m just replacing one bent axle. If I go the warranty route it would run about $400-450 + labor because I would need to overnight the parts both ways (car can’t be dead on a lift for weeks). Or I just buy a new one for $550 and install it. The warranty route will be slower than just buying one so I may just bite the bullet on that because I’m done waiting.

Hate to say it but there is no way I could ever recommend Strange parts to anybody. They don’t seem to have their ducks in a row over there. Not to mention these beefy parts couldn’t hold my extremely mild power longer that 8 passes....they told me the setup is rated for 850hp lol

Users who are viewing this thread