ReischePerformance Thermostat

68_GT

Terminated '98
Established Member
OK I just ordered one finally :)

I just started driving my car daily in So TX heat so hopefully this will help !

is it worth doing any fan / radiator upgrades to the car now or is 170* the temp it should be operating at anyway ?

my mods and goals are in my sig and I drive in 100* weather frequently.

20psirabbit

Established Member
well i finally overcame my fears of filling/bleeding the system yesterday and installed the stat. drove the car without issue, although the temps would jump up a couple degrees if i got on it, so i know there's a bit of air in the system. will top off the crossover tube over the next week and report back, but everything looked great to me last night :rockon:

03 KB Sonic Blue

Established Member
well i finally overcame my fears of filling/bleeding the system yesterday and installed the stat. drove the car without issue, although the temps would jump up a couple degrees if i got on it, so i know there's a bit of air in the system. will top off the crossover tube over the next week and report back, but everything looked great to me last night :rockon:

Mine does it as well. Its just bec engine is making more heat while you are getting down on car. Also when you stop at red lights or traffic jams temps will rise as well.
I dont think its from air in the line.

20psirabbit

Established Member
yeah i popped it open and checked it out, it only took a little bit of fluid to top it off. i know joel has said the way is to keep an eye on it, so i'll check it over the course of the next couple weeks, otherwise i think it's looking good in the meantime.

hawaiiancobra

Established Member
did the 170 thermostat today, results far better than the drilled stock thermostat. bled air thru cross over for at least 40 minutes, for piece of mind and lack of anything else better to do. made a funnel to fit tightly in cross over tube and kept it half full with fluid, after thermostat opens and adding additional fluid,it was helpfull to bring rpm's up and that would bring lots of air bubbles out thru the funnel. if funnel gets to full, use turkey baster to remove a little fluid. i run an lfp race radiator, its like twice as big as stock

Last edited:

68_GT

Terminated '98
Established Member
Got my stat Saturday. Looks great Joel. I did notice the housing of the Motorcraft stat has 180* stamped on it. I assume that's just how the stat began it's life ? :) Just looking for clarification for my self and maybe any others.

Also where was that install instructions of how to clamp, or crimp off the rad hoses as to not have to drain the radiator, and burp the system ???

thanks Joel it showed up really quick after I ordered it !

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
is it worth doing any fan / radiator upgrades to the car now
Upgraded radiators don't seem to help much but I've heard good results from those who have added a couple pusher fans to the front. Airflow seems to be the key to additional cooling.
the temps would jump up a couple degrees if i got on it
A couple of degrees is great... I remember with the stock stat seeing 10-12* spikes after some WOT.
I did notice the housing of the Motorcraft stat has 180* stamped on it.
Yes, the stat is based on the RT1168 which is a 180* then I swap out a modded spring which lowers the opening temp and rate.
Also where was that install instructions of how to clamp, or crimp off the rad hoses as to not have to drain the radiator, and burp the system ???
There aren't any instructions anywhere on how to do that but I seem to recall someone posting that it is possible using 4 woodworking clamps. Regardless you should burp and re-fill at the crossover tube anytime the system is opened.

black 10th vert

Established Member
Joel, got it today, thanks for the super quick service! I just left some feedback for you too.:beer:

Brian

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
i got a reische unit a few days ago and decided to install it today. i also wanted to at least drop what i believe is factory fill 5.5 year old coolant in my '04. so i ended up doing the "flush" 3 times with 2 gallons distilled water and then finally a dist water/coolant mixture the last time i filled it.

one thing i noticed during the burping was i just burped it during the initial fill with the motor off. i would fill exclusively from the crosstube with the degas cap off. when the water level got to the fill line in the reservoir, i would put the degas cap on. then keep filling the crosstube until water hit the top threads. then i would reach and unscrew the degas cap, and "gulp", it would suck down at the crossover tube and i would retighten the degas cap. i kept doing this, usually about 5-6 times until unscrewing the degas cap had no effect, then i would plug the crossover. It would consume about 3/4 quart during this burping (which takes maybe 3-4 minutes total to complete the entire burping process). i also had the car front on ramps. i never had to burp with the motor on, the car drove perfect each of the 4 times i flushed today (never got over 182 temp, cruised 65mph at 174).

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member

futureSVT

Established Member
i am not trying to hijack but i know when you install the 170 stat. you also need to lower your fan settings. Why is that??

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
You don't "need" to, but the factory fan settings are very very high and you would benefit greatly by lowering them.

JustaGT

N/A Ain't For Me!
Established Member
I have had mine for months and still havent put it in. I'm lazy plus I dont know exactly how to adjust my fan settings in my tune.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
Sounds like you got most of the air out but I'm sure there is probably a little left in there. I wrote up a procedure recently: Cobra, Mach 1, Ford 4.6L DOHC Coolant Refill & Burp Procedure by Reische Performance Products and it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to run through it just to be on the safe side.

i measured in a single container what came out and what i put back in on each flush. it was right at 1.8 gallons both ways. it ran fine today for probably 40 miles and once again the temp stayed in the mid 170's. the level in the coolant reservoir hasn't changed. i'll keep monitoring it. thanks for the product, it works great

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
the level in the coolant reservoir hasn't changed. i'll keep monitoring it. thanks for the product, it works great
Generally the reservoir level will not move but you might want to check/top off at the crossover tube because that's where the air will go. Glad the thermostat is working well for you :beer:

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
my car with the auto ALWAYS ran warm....200-205 on the street and was tough to cool at the track. this stat and fan settings makes my car run SO much cooler. It deff helped keeps the temps down so I could run some 9 second passes!

Users who are viewing this thread