Rejected at IL emmiss test - - Not Ready

VNMOUS1

Established Member
SCT defaults the O2s to off in the base value file that is used to create all custom tunes. If the tuner doesn't turn them on then you will fail.

OP - just contact Evo and get a file update (as u have cats) once u flash the new tune, do the driving cycle posted above, that should get you passed.

Ding ding ding. Winner.

DO THE DRIVE CYCLE.

That I'm not sure, I've been told one can, but I have no personal experience.

You will not pass IL emissions without cars. It's all OBDii. If you dont have cats the test sees a cat failure. Your downstream O2s read the differnce between the fronts and the rears. If it doesn't see X amount of difference it thinks your cats are bad (or you don't have any). In IL even a number of high flow cats don't pass. My suggestion...of you have cats...high flow or othewise...turn your O2s on...run the drive cycle....AND THIS IS CRITICAL AND I'M NOT KIDDING. YOU MUST HAVE BETWEEN 1/2 AND 3/4 TANK OF GAS. NO MORE, NO LESS. The strategy is written with a ton of "averages". The average amount of gas in a tank is exactly 1/2 to 3/4. If you have more or less the drive cycle will take for ^%$#*( ever. I was told this by a Ford engineer that was writing the codes. It works.

bj

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
wow i didnt realize this was in issue. back on the pre 05 mustangs this was not an issue

Shaker1

Walkin' on Sunshine
Established Member
OK, I fired off an email to EVO. Hopefully they can take care of it without too much expense. Thanks to everyone for all the clarifications. And the info on getting the "drive cycle" right the first time.

I assume if you have time to drive several days or more the amount of fuel in the tank will be immaterial?

If I have to pay for a whole new tune, what is the best way to contact Jon Lund? Directly or through a specific vendor?
Email or phone number?

Last edited:

Shaker1

Walkin' on Sunshine
Established Member
wow i didnt realize this was in issue. back on the pre 05 mustangs this was not an issue

I was caught by surprise as well. never saw anything about this posted up until now. But, I knew the rear O2s were off because I looked into an O/R pipe and asked EVO about it. So, I had a good idea what was going on when they showed me the 'errors". Glad I still have cats or even bigger PITA! I will probably ask that catalytic over temp is turned back on too.

Last edited:

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I was caught by surprise as well. never saw anything about this posted up until now. But, I knew the rear O2s were off because I looked into an O/R pipe and asked EVO about it. So, I had a good idea what was going on when they showed me the 'errors". Glad I still have cats or even bigger PITA! I will probably ask that catalytic over temp is turned back on too.

When I had my 2000 gt an my 03 cobra I never had a problem with smog with the rear 02 turned off because it would never show a code when smog. So with the newer cars looks like the car now sends different info when being smog. Good thing I also keep my stock catted pipe.

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
I've never heard if a tuner charging to turn the O2s on.

Support.lundracing.com

Shaker1

Walkin' on Sunshine
Established Member
I've never heard if a tuner charging to turn the O2s on.

Support.lundracing.com

Ah, thanks. I got my EVO tune as a package from JLT with their cai, so I contacted both to see how I should proceed.

And thanks for the link to Lund Racing.

Speedy308

Established Member
I had the same issue but I was catless. I put stock xpipe, intake back on and loaded stock tune, drove 100miles roughly and passed. Thats really all you need to do, stock airbox and load stock tune. Then revert back to how you had it after. No need to worry about waiting on a new tune, just make sure you get one for next time so you dont have to swap them again.

andymarkv

Established Member
I had the exact same problem last year with my EVO "stage II" tune!!!
I chased my tail for quite a while and put a few hundred miles on the car while waiting for it to "be ready". Not fun with expired inspection AND registration! (couldn't register it while it wasn't inspected)
I also did the Ford drive cycle three times and NOTHING WORKED!

I emailed Lund and he fixed it. After I flashed the tune I think it was six key cycles + 10 miles of drive time and it passed with no issues.

Get a tune from a quaility tuner. Jon DOES NOT do all the tunes for EVO. My EVO tune was a hacked up SCT tune.

Last edited:

Mysticsnke

Established Member
if you do the drive cycle step by step, its not guaranteed to set all the readiness monitors... basically all you have to do to set the readiness monitors is some mixed highway, and city driving over what should be a short period of time... although sometimes it can take a little while (a couple hours or so) of driving...

Shaker1

Walkin' on Sunshine
Established Member
When I got my JLT CAI with SCT Xcal3 it came from JLT directly with a tuner from EVO (says Evolution Performance when it boots up). Yesterday I emailed JLT and EVO. Jay from JLT emailed back saying "We don't do emission tuning, you may want to contact Evolution." I have not heard back from EVO.

The tuner came with a two tunes (CAI only and CAI+pulley). When I had the CAI only tune installed a local dyno operator said it looked lean. After that I installed the pulley and second tune and have been meaning to get a new tune from Jon, to be safe. I guess I'll just do that.

Lesson learned: don't buy tunes from resellers. Thanks everyone.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
When I got my JLT CAI with SCT Xcal3 it came from JLT directly with a tuner from EVO (says Evolution Performance when it boots up). Yesterday I emailed JLT and EVO. Jay from JLT emailed back saying "We don't do emission tuning, you may want to contact Evolution." I have not heard back from EVO.

The tuner came with a two tunes (CAI only and CAI+pulley). When I had the CAI only tune installed a local dyno operator said it looked lean. After that I installed the pulley and second tune and have been meaning to get a new tune from Jon, to be safe. I guess I'll just do that.

Sorry to hear you issue with that..hope all gets fixed.

andymarkv

Established Member

Yikes..... I too had a WAY lean 13.4:1 A/F with my EVO tune..... After multiple dyno sessions, being told repeatedly it wasn't a tune issue and getting the runaround, it sure looked like the adaptive learning was not configured correctly.... (good thing the dyno owner was VERY understanding and cut me a break....)
After getting that straightened out, I had to deal with multiple failed inspections with the emissions "not ready" codes... (fortunately my local shop was great and kept scanning the car to see if it was ready, about 8 times, at no charge)

Just get a good tune from Lund with everything corrected. He can email it to you and its easy to load on the SCT tuner.

Last edited:

Shaker1

Walkin' on Sunshine
Established Member
Thank you Andy. I am waiting on a response from Lund, I emailed them late Friday. He can set me up for 93 octane (current tune is 91), turn back on my O2s and maybe turn on COT, which I believe may be off. Plus, I'd bet his tunes are improved somewhat after 4 years or so!

Last edited:

Shaker1

Walkin' on Sunshine
Established Member
Has anyone used an Actron (or other) scanner to check emissions readiness monitors? Do these work effectively? Any particular model recommended? I am looking at the 9145.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread