Removed my Hood Blanket-Here's the Good,Bad,& Ugly

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Originally posted by LCCOBRA
Well said cobrabob. I took mine off for a while but ended up just doing the hod blanket mod(great free mod) and left the blanket on. I painted the cobra letters and the blanket black. I did'nt like how the hood looked when it was off because the fact that ford did'nt paint the middle section of the hood:shrug:. I think you'll still be ok with it off though. The lightning's don't have hood blanket'sat all I hear.
Another reason why I don't recommend removing the blanket is that the underside of the hood paint does not match the rest of the car. It has a dullish finish. You would think that Ford would have done it right, like they did with the rest of the engine compartment.

hedstrosity

take the BLUE pill :)
Established Member
that ground wire running form the fender to the back of the hod blanket? what did you do with it? what exactly does it do?
thereas too many cars out there from foxbody's, to newer gt's running aftermarket fiberglass hoods with no blanket, and no discoleration...
thats the least of my worries....
i just had no idea what to do with that ground wire?
did you just ditch it?

hmwave

Established Member
The earth strap is to stop radio frequency interference from the motor. Some folks have found they get radio interference when they remove the hood blanket.

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
Originally posted by CobraBob
I've heard too many concerns about heat and paint issues after removing the blanket, so I'm not about to remove mine. I'd rather be safe than sorry. JOMO.
Not trying to change your mind CobraBob, but my hoodblanket has been off since Day 2 of picking up the car (nearly 2 years) and there is no paint damage due to heat. That's with incredible engine temps as well as South Texas summer temps on the outside.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Originally posted by racerat
Not trying to change your mind CobraBob, but my hoodblanket has been off since Day 2 of picking up the car (nearly 2 years) and there is no paint damage due to heat. That's with incredible engine temps as well as South Texas summer temps on the outside.
Tracy, I think it worked for you because that Texas heat balanced with the underhood heat, effectively curing the paint and preventing a paint issue. :lol1:

You're one of the ones who haven't had an issue and quite honestly I'm not aware of anyone who actually has had a documented issue with a non-blanketed hood and paint. I've only heard concerns that it could be a problem. I still wouldn't do it more so because my underhood paint doesn't match the rest of the car, but it's nice to hear that it can be done.

P.S. Send some of that Texas warm air up here. It is freezing today. Temp is only 30. Brrrrrrr.

03DSGSVT

Established Member
I too did the hood blanket mod, by cutting the openings larger, and taping the ends. It came out alright, but the tape was silver, and it just didn't look good. So I pulled the whole blanket out.

My paint is dull, and missing in the center, but I left the vent flaps in place just to kind of direct the water down between the motor and radiator when washing.

It hardly rains here, so it is not a big deal, but the heat I can visually see escape, especially when it is 115 out, is noticable!

I may eventually remove the flaps, but have not approached that point of no return yet.

I also may have the hood repainted underneath, or cut the holes a little larger and replace the blanket...?

BTW, the heat dmg. from the engine is an urban myth, the only thing the blanket is for is NVH, and radio reception... There are numerous vehicles on the road without a hood blanket with no problems... I have had Zilcho probs. for 8K miles with it off...

The S/C whine is a little louder with it off... Don't listen to AM radio, so no reception issues...?

You know it would be nice if someone made an aftermarket vent assy to replace the stock pieces...

Like a scoop sort of that goes into the underhood area a bit, and then has larger openings in the stock vent locations...
Something you can snap in... Just a thought...?

Blade

Just browsing....
Established Member
I had always heard the blanket isn't for protecting the paint anyway. It supposedly is there to help extinguish an engine fire by smothering the engine after the plastic screws melt. :shrug:

caveman6666

V8 Ford, V Twin Hogs.
Established Member
Originally posted by Blade
I had always heard the blanket isn't for protecting the paint anyway. It supposedly is there to help extinguish an engine fire by smothering the engine after the plastic screws melt. :shrug:

That's a fallacy. By the time they melted, the whole engine compartment would be engulfed in flames.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Originally posted by Blade
Yep, that's one of those urban legends. :lol1:

Users who are viewing this thread