Removing Dealer Stickers For A Cleaner Looking Rear Deck/Rear Hatch

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Many of you might already know how easy it is to remove those ugly dealership stickers that get stuck to your trunk lid/rear hatch before you take delivery of your vehicle. When I picked up my brand new '16 Ford Edge Sport, I decided about a month later that the dealership sticker had to go.

OK, so removing these stickers if beyond easy. All you have to do is use a hair dryer to soften the glue on the back of the sticker and peel it off. This entire process took me about 15 minutes.
Step 1 - Wash the area around the sticker to remove any dirt and debris.
Step 2 - Hold the hair dryer (set to HIGH) about 2" from the surface and slowly move it across the entire sticker area. You want to soften the glue on the back of the sticker. This step might take around 3-6 minutes depending on how large your sticker is. In my case (see photo below), it took me about 4 minutes.
Step 3 - When the glue has softened on the back of the sticker, gentle flick the edge of the sticker with your fingernail and start to slowly peel it off. If you get too much resistance, apply a bit more heat with the hair dryer.
Step 4 - Once the sticker has been removed, there may be a bit of glue residue left on the paint. Pour some bug & tar remover (or similar) on a soft cloth and gently rub the area in a circular motion until the glue residue is done. You might have to do this a few times to get rid of all of the residue. Buff the area with a clean cloth to remove all traces of the bug & tar remover.
Step 5 - Run your finger over the area where the sticker was and feel for any remaining glue residue. If you find any, repeat Step 4.
Step 6 - Spray the entire area where the sticker was with a detailing polish spray (like Meguiar's Ultimate Quick Detailer, to protect the paint. Buff immediately with a soft cloth.
Step 7 - Step back and admire how much better your rear trunk/rear hatch looks now!

Here is my Ford Edge Sport rear BEFORE. With the ugly Shaker Ford sticker! :(

upload_2017-2-17_13-29-29.png

And how it looks AFTER. Much cleaner look. I'm very pleased! :)

upload_2017-2-17_13-30-15.png

Zedeater

Good from far
Established Member
Looks much better now. I might have gone a step further & removed all the badges for an ultra clean look, but that's just me.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Bob, what's your address? I'll send you enough stickers to cover the trunk lid.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Bob, what's your address? I'll send you enough stickers to cover the trunk lid.
Nick, I thought of you when I posted this thread, knowing you're a dealer. LOL. My last car, the '14 Mini Cooper S, had a unique dealer sticker on the rear lid window, but it didn't look like a traditional dealer sticker. More like a British touring sticker. I actually liked that one and left it on.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Some are way worse than others. Obviously I'm biased, but I don't mind ours that much. It's just a thing signature that matches our plates.

26208cb942b7951902d928e28a576e9d.jpg

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
That IS one of the better ones I've seen, Nick. Very unique and different from the norm. Thankfully some dealerships put a little more thought into their dealer stickers than others.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
That IS one of the better ones I've seen, Nick. Very unique and different from the norm. Thankfully some dealerships put a little more thought into their dealer stickers than others.
Thanks Bob. I'll get you a couple dozen in the mail lol

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
I insisted that the dealer apply NO stickers to my Shelby.

When removing them from used cars I've bought, however, I used a process very similar to the one CobraBob laid out above. Good stuff!

Pribilof

Life's Better @ Elevation
Established Member
Anytime I buy a car I tell the dealer that if there is a sticker on it when I come to pick up my car that the deal is off. Only had to walk away from a deal once. Same with drilling holes in the front bumper for a license plate.

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
Anytime I buy a car I tell the dealer that if there is a sticker on it when I come to pick up my car that the deal is off. Only had to walk away from a deal once. Same with drilling holes in the front bumper for a license plate.
LOL! That's EXACTLY what I do when buying from a dealer.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs

LOL! That's EXACTLY what I do when buying from a dealer.
We don't drill front plates on vehicles that don't come with them, but if you guys were to back out of a deal based on a sticker that takes 5 seconds to remove, I'd at least have a funny story to post on here about how a ridiculous customers are.

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
We don't drill front plates on vehicles that don't come with them, but if you guys were to back out of a deal based on a sticker that takes 5 seconds to remove, I'd at least have a funny story to post on here about how a ridiculous customers are.
Ditto, if you were foolish enough to ignore such an easily fulfilled customer request/requirement. I don't care how silly a dealer thinks my requirements are. I'll walk if they aren't fulfilled. Dealers who forget WE are the ones paying the bills don't deserve our business.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Ditto, if you were foolish enough to ignore such an easily fulfilled customer request/requirement. I don't care how silly a dealer thinks my requirements are. I'll walk if they aren't fulfilled. Dealers who forget WE are the ones paying the bills don't deserve our business.

Oh good God. Get off your high horse, ask them to remove it since you're incapable, and move on.

The technicians performing the PDI on the vehicle you purchased do thousands of them a year, I would venture to guess less than 0.5% of the population asks them to not put them on.

You're the kind of person that would send in a poor survey over a damn sticker. Case in point why surveys should not be held to such a high standard with the manufacturer.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
I don't mind rocking a license frame with the dealers info.

I do remove any advertisement on the paint. I've done similar methods like the way CobraBob posted with good success.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I don't mind rocking a license frame with the dealers info.

I do remove any advertisement on the paint. I've done similar methods like the way CobraBob posted with good success.

Which is 100% ok.

Pribilof

Life's Better @ Elevation
Established Member
Yeah, easy to remove... And even easier to not put a damn sticker on a brand new car I just bought. Geez. It takes the dealer 5 seconds to apply the sticker and the customer 15-20 minutes to take it off.

Point is, if a dealer can't follow that simple of a request then what else did they f up?

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Yeah, easy to remove... And even easier to not put a damn sticker on a brand new car I just bought. Geez. It takes the dealer 5 seconds to apply the sticker and the customer 15-20 minutes to take it off.

Point is, if a dealer can't follow that simple of a request then what else did they f up?

LOL.

We can keep this going all day, but I'll let Bob's thread get back on track.

Users who are viewing this thread