Restoration of a 1995 Cobra R

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
Any updates on how the season is going?
Not well. :-D

Gary has been busy with work related stuff.
1) The "restoration" 95R is still at the paint shop. Finished pictures should be available soon.
2) The #82 95R lost its engine. It's now ready to go for a test session.
3) Someone backed the yellow IMSA clone car into a wall (hard) at the downtown Savannah track. It's fixed.

One of Gary's clients bought a Mustang Trans-Am car from a guy that has a shop near Bruce's shop. The new owner wants the car completely rebuilt for the Watkins Glen GP in September. Gary is bringing another 7 cars to WG. :eek:

Then they leave WG late Sunday and have to unload and then reload the hauler for Road Atlanta the next week (be there Thursday). Then the southern race schedule gets real busy in the fall.

In the meantime, his customers (like me ;-) ) complain about the invoices. And the new guys (he is a HSR and SVRA certified instructor for a racing license) complain about their invoices.

And everyone knows about a rookie driver? :-D
YouTube - ‪Trackday Comedy‬‎

Gary may be in a bad mood. :dw: He is probably wondering why he didn't go into something simple, like searching for bomb ordinance.
bang.jpg

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
That's really Doc digging for a beer and that's me with the paper bag:lol:

I hear you. :poke:

But me and the Bone did beat you at Watkins Glen after you co-driver wrecked. Then da' Bone and I kicked your butt again at Road America after you slammed into the gravel trap in T-1. :lol1:

We ain't slowing down at Road Atlanta and Sebring. You need to move out of the racing line when we come through. :burnout:
QueenE.jpg

GJMCAR98

MOTOROLA MAN
Established Member
Hey, I can't help it if my co driver up at the Glenn was a loose cannon.You forgot to mention I had a half a lap lead on the class when I handed the car over to him and then HE crashed not me :) You also forgot to mention that in the 200 miler at Road America that after they pulled me out of the gravel I came all the way back up and passed Dixon before the motor broke....Man your memory is just getting worse as you get older :) Hey, isn't that the same dress that Dixon wore when you and him went to dinner up at Road America.:lol:

Last edited:

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
Hey, I can't help it if my co driver up at the Glenn was a loose cannon.You forgot to mention I had a half a lap lead on the class when I handed the car over to him and then HE crashed not me :)
Those are just small details.

When are you getting this car painted? I'll be glad to drove over with my paint gun and spray the car for you. I have experience. :-D

You need to make a few pictures of the Trans-Am car and send them my way. I'm sure it will look very nice when you finish restoring it.

Hey, isn't that the same dress that Dixon wore when you and him went to dinner up at Road America.
Yea, Bone and I meet with a high ranking HSR official at dinner and then we may have hooked up with Jenny and her sister later that night in Bone's room.

Jenny that night after she broke up with Brad Pitt and just before Bone came to her "Emotional Rescue". ;-)
Jenn4.jpg

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
Hey guys,
Gary has been working on his race 1995 Cobra R. :-D I have new pictures.

Just saying, he has modified the rear fuel cell area for enduro racing.
GJMab.gif

This doesn't look like a 1995 Cobra R engine to me. ;-) It looks like a stroked 302 vintage engine to me (maybe a 347?). :shrug:
GJMac.gif

The car looks almost complete? I heard it had a Nascar shock package?
GJMad.gif

The older pro-racing of the 1995 Cobra R is just history, but the new vintage Cobra R history is just beginning...

brianz426

Established Member
The car looks great. This question may have been asked before; What wheels are on the car and are they still available?
Thanks

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
That is one big honkin' fuel cell!
Mark,
I'll explain. :-D

W3RD, and why is it mounted so high? Is it a 30 gallon enduro tank?!?! :shrug:
Bruce,
I think it is a 22 gallon tank?

Vintage has endurance races of one hour, 1 1/2 hours, 2 hours, and 3 hours. A big tank has its advantages when the double-yellow comes out at a time when you wish it wouldn't.

My car has a 15 gallon tank. It will go ~42 minutes when full. If I come in a the 40 minute mark to refuel, and a double-yellow hits the track after I am in the pits; I am then a lap down. :dw:

So, a big tank works well when you need that extra few gallons of fuel. Now, in short dash races, you just put how much gas in it as you will need. If you have more than one gallon in the tank after the race, you messed up your calculations. ;-)

Any updated pictures of #99?
Bill,
The #99 car is still in the paint shop. :eek: :eek: The paint guys down in south Georgia are not known for their speed. :rollseyes

Gary still has his hand full of Cobra R's and Cobra R clones.

His yellow car (a rental) has caused a lot of attention. A girl race car driver has been kicking butt:
GJMah.gif

My former 1994 Cobra was purchased by Gary. It took him one week to install a fuel cell and race it:
94Cobra-5.gif

So, Gary has two Motorola Cup clones on the track, a Zippo car almost finished, and the #99 back in the the paint shop. He also has the #82 R Steeda car (car #05), and my #113 Cobra R in his shop.

In his spare time, he also supports six 1965-1966 Mustangs and a few Panoz cars in vintage racing. :burnout:

I didn't go to Sebring last weekend, but one of Gary's car finished on the OA podium. I know Gary knows how many podiums for his cars (I'd guess now ~25-30?). Frankly, the Corvette guys have stopped coming to the races when a Mustang is entered. ;-)
SebFall2011c.gif

SebFall2011d.gif

Users who are viewing this thread