Retrofitting '13/'14 GT500 Bilstein Damp-Tronic's to any '07-'12 GT500

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
J, the B16 iRC's do just that (three modes) plus adjustable control. Now I'm wondering how much range there is when manually adjusted as the typical B16 is set up now (there isn't a current S197 offering but I'd assume the typical Porsche/BMW/Audi/Mercedes Benz settings wouldn't be that different).

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
For you guys that have picked up the dampers and are trying to piece this together as well.... I'm still waiting for a response from Bilstein in Poway, California. Sounds like they are buried in work at the moment. I called another Bilstein contact, Dave, in Ohio. Great guy that showed a lot of enthusiasm about this being done when I met him at SEMA. I made him aware of the three of you that are currently looking to obtain the ECU and harness so that you can have a running system in your own S197's. I'm forwarding him an email today to see what can be done.

Eric - I don't know if you got through to Ludger in Germany but Dave was willing to get the ball rolling in the same fashion as when I did this last year.

04SNK390HP

I hate SHEEPLE
Established Member
For you guys that have picked up the dampers and are trying to piece this together as well. I'm still waiting for a response from Bilstein in Poway, California. Sounds like they are buried in work at the moment. I called another Bilstein contact, Dave, in Ohio. Great guy that showed a lot of enthusiasm about this being done when I met him at SEMA. I made him aware of the three of you that are currently looking to obtain the ECU and harness so that you can have a running system in your own S197's. I'm forwarding him an email today to see what can be done.

Thanks Tob!!!

:burnout::banana:

the5

Established Member
This Morning I got a Reply from Ludger and it doesn't look too good

Good morning Eric,

First of all a short overview of what is sold here in Germany:
ACD kit : bistate shocks with wiring harness, ECU and a select switch
DT select dampers: Currently sold as pure dampers in OE applications (no wiring or ECU, this is done by our customers Ford, VW, BMW etc.)

ECU and rear connectors of the ACD-kit do not fit to the select dampers, so Tobin is correct when mentioning these two items. He got development parts from our department last year (modified ECU and connectors), but we do not have further parts available.

I just had a short discussion with our After market people how far the development and a potential series solution for the DTselect - Kit is. A kit like we sell it for the old ACD is currently not available and will take some time (timing not defined exactly).

Unfortunately this is the current status and I'm aware that this is not very helpful for you in the moment. Sorry.

Regards from Germany

Ludger

For now I am putting this project on hold until there is a guaranteed way to obtain the Module. If any one is able to obtain one please send me a PM.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Nick, I went through quite a few notes I have but couldn't find anything I had on spring rates. Then I remembered that the numbers were given to by a FRPP engineer via an email and that the rate of the "L" springs match those of the Track Package springs (as much as the ride height may differ).

FRPP M-5300-L
Front 45 N/mm (256.956 lb/in)
Rear 35 N/mm (199.85 lb/in)

GT500 KR
Front 41.5N/mm (236.97)
Rear 31.5 N/mm (179.86)

GT500 Track Package
*Note - these numbers were provided to me in N/mm and I used this page to convert to lbs/in.

Eibach Pro-Kit
Fronts: 171-260lbs
Rears: 109-200lbs

You can see that the range listed for the progressive Eibach Pro-Kit springs just meet t he number I was given for the FRPP springs. The L uses a progressive spring as well yet I was only given one number in terms of measurement and not a range. So it's hard to conclude that the Eibach's are a good match based on the numbers I have as much as they may work. Something tells me they may not have enough rate. I suppose you could look for some anecdotal evidence here in the '13/'14 GT500 forums to see how well those that used them liked them. As for the "L" springs, FRPP does state the following...

Validated for use with electronically controlled Track Pack option (2013-2014 model year)
From here.

For now I am putting this project on hold until there is a guaranteed way to obtain the Module. If any one is able to obtain one please send me a PM.

Eric and I just had a lengthy discussion over the phone regarding this swap (Good talking to you!). As much as I had spoken a few times with Ludger via email and over the phone I went through the North American channels at Bilstein in order to acquire what doesn't really exist in terms of an official part. So again, let's see what can be resolved by starting here in the US and let those involved at Bilstein facilitate it just like last time, if it can indeed be worked out. Good to hear that Ludger is still there, as he has a working knowledge of what I did and what is needed to make it happen.

04SNK390HP

I hate SHEEPLE
Established Member
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Good morning Eric,

First of all a short overview of what is sold here in Germany:
ACD kit : bistate shocks with wiring harness, ECU and a select switch
DT select dampers: Currently sold as pure dampers in OE applications (no wiring or ECU, this is done by our customers Ford, VW, BMW etc.)

ECU and rear connectors of the ACD-kit do not fit to the select dampers, so Tobin is correct when mentioning these two items. He got development parts from our department last year (modified ECU and connectors), but we do not have further parts available.

I just had a short discussion with our After market people how far the development and a potential series solution for the DTselect - Kit is. A kit like we sell it for the old ACD is currently not available and will take some time (timing not defined exactly).

Unfortunately this is the current status and I'm aware that this is not very helpful for you in the moment. Sorry.

Regards from Germany

Ludger
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The level of bumness I feel after reading this post is undefinable. I feel like my team just lost the World Series and say to myself while shedding a tear, "There's always next year boys". :rolling:

Thanks for posting your finding though Eric. I'm sure this retrofit will all come together eventually.

Nick, I went through quite a few notes I have but couldn't find anything I had on spring rates. Then I remembered that the numbers were given to by a FRPP engineer via an email and that the rate of the "L" springs match those of the Track Package springs (as much as the ride height may differ).

FRPP M-5300-L

GT500 KR
Front 41.5N/mm (236.97)
Rear 31.5 N/mm (179.86)

GT500 Track Package
*Note - these numbers were provided to me in N/mm and I used this page to convert to lbs/in.

Eibach Pro-Kit
Fronts: 171-260lbs
Rears: 109-200lbs

You can see that the range listed for the progressive Eibach Pro-Kit springs just meet t he number I was given for the FRPP springs. The L uses a progressive spring as well yet I was only given one number in terms of measurement and not a range. So it's hard to conclude that the Eibach's are a good match based on the numbers I have as much as they may work. Something tells me they may not have enough rate. I suppose you could look for some anecdotal evidence here in the '13/'14 GT500 forums to see how well those that used them liked them. As for the "L" springs, FRPP does state the following...

From here.

Eric and I just had a lengthy discussion over the phone regarding this swap (Good talking to you!). As much as I had spoken a few times with Ludger via email and over the phone I went through the North American channels at Bilstein in order to acquire what doesn't really exist in terms of an official part. So again, let's see what can be resolved by starting here in the US and let those involved at Bilstein facilitate it just like last time, if it can indeed be worked out. Good to hear that Ludger is still there, as he has a working knowledge of what I did and what is needed to make it happen.

Sounds like a plan Tob!!

Since we don't have access to the correct Damp-Tronic ECU and connectors for the time being, would there be any issue with installing and using the struts/shocks with out the remaining components? I would assume that they would function normally as any other strut/shock but be permanently set in the "Comfort" mode since the DT ECU is used to actuate the solenoid to engage "Sport" mode.

It would kill me to look at these things just sitting in my spare bedroom collecting dust.

As for the springs. I may just install the Eibach springs and see how it feels. If it's too bouncy or stiff in the sport mode, I'll purchase a set of L's and call it a day. Thanks for posting and assisting with all of this!!!

-Nick

Last edited:

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Nick, my heart sunk as well when I saw Eric's post. Let's see what Dave at Bilstein can do in terms of procurement and go from there. He's genuinely aware of the interest in using parts that are readily available as well as the development ECU. So have faith brother!

As for installing the '13/'14 Bilstein dampers into any '05-'14 S197 vehicle without the supporting electronics - you absolutely can do that! The issue, obviously, is that (as you know) you are stuck in Sport Mode and the ride is going to be rather firm all the time. BMARZ (see post #115 in this thread, middle of page 5) has done just that. He'll be the first to tell you that the "always stiff" ride leaves quite a bit to be desired in the comfort department. Is it tolerable? That's rather subjective but I suppose for some it may be. It isn't as if there is constant rattling, etc, you just miss the ability to relax at least once in a while.:)

Something of note regarding the springs...I measured the ride height and compared the numbers to those I had at the time of installation. The 5300-L springs didn't settle at all. Not even 1/32" of an inch. That surprised me as I really thought they would settle even if only just a hair.

UPDATE: I just responded (11:38am) to an email from Dave regarding the exact parts/numbers that I used to make this work. It's in his hands now and he's going to contact Bilstein in Germany to see what can be done. Keep your fingers crossed!

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
J, the B16 iRC's do just that (three modes) plus adjustable control. Now I'm wondering how much range there is when manually adjusted as the typical B16 is set up now (there isn't a current S197 offering but I'd assume the typical Porsche/BMW/Audi/Mercedes Benz settings wouldn't be that different).
Thanks Tob, my AMG E55 air ride has 3 settings (comfort/sport1/sport2) and it may be similar.
If you guys talk to Bilstein US, please ask if they can re-valve the current adj. SVTPP dampers.
I'd love to have 3 settings but not sure if we could get our current system to adapt to 3, I'd settle with 2 if I can have them re-valved.
Now that I've had the car out the last 2 weekends, I def. appreciate the Sport setting on smooth roads but use normal on most roads.
-J

nbg-mustang

Established Member
Guys i contact Ludger from Bilstein Germany too. I at the moment read that there are some problems, but don't understand 100% what is the problem because my englsih is not good enought. I also ask him if it is possible to update a Bilstein B16 to B16 Damp Tronic. Hope that i get an answere tomorrow. Hope we all find a way that everybody get the suspension he will have.

Regards from Germany
Daniel

Goohead

Established Member
Add a nether member interested in the package from bilstein. With the parts already available and the ability to make it work with minimal changes to the existing damptronic controller (programing?) it only makes to release a controller for our applications, they already done and paid for the R&D!

Last edited:

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
If all goes well there may just be the possibility that anyone with the desire do this mod may be able to so. I fully understand, waiting for good things is never easy. All I know is that sometimes an idea is too good to not happen. Keep your fingers crossed!

_updatedBilsteincopy.jpg

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
There are some good people at Bilstein that are as interested in making this happen as we are. I just hope that "red tape" doesn't somehow get in the way. Stay the course and there should be light at the end of the tunnel.;-)

BMARZ

Established Member
Wow, Tob, your car looks phenomenal. Thanks for paving the way and providing detailed step-by-step instructions for novices of the wrench like myself. I guess I have no more excuses; thanks a lot. :) I've had the Bilsteins on for about a year now and they've been stuck in Sport mode since day one; and this car is my daily driver! Though the roads here in East Tennessee aren't too bad, I thought my car was going to rattle apart during my yearly trek to Detroit last year on their less-that-glass-smooth roads. I've got a couple infuriating little rattles now, too, as a result of that trip.

It sure would make my life easier if Bilstein or FRPP would release a plug-and-play kit that would allow for easy conversion of the Damptronic dampers. In fact, if such a kit were to ever make it to market, I could almost guarantee that these shocks and struts would become one of the more popular S197 Mustang suspension modifications.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Hey Brandon. I was wondering when you were going to chime in. Let me start by saying that when I was looking for answers to this one early on you were a great help. You enabled me to get a grasp on the ladder that got me started. Thanks for that.

I know that you are all set to go with the damper hardware in place and only need the supporting hardware to have a fully functioning system. I don't know how lengthy the time frame is for any of this to reach fruition but I certainly hope it stays on track. I'm trying hard to stay out of it and it isn't easy sitting by and not knowing how it is being handled at present. I can only encourage those that are interested (in a drag type system as well) to chime in and let it be known.

I was out again yesterday testing/playing with the system under a number of different conditions and I honestly don't have anything negative to say about it. I've spent a lot of time on my back over the past few years under this car alone and I have to say, I don't think I need to go any further.

Untitledxxxx-Edit.jpg

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Definitely interested in a drag application, sounds like a winter project to me, I just want to install the mods I've accumulated and enjoy the car this summer.
-J

NametoShowOther

Established Member
I talked to the bilstein guy at the mustang 50 th in Vegas, asked him when are they bringing this kit to the usa. He stated since the 2015 is going to be worl car maybe the Germans would be making more kits for are cars.

I am definitely interested in the system you have tob

nbg-mustang

Established Member
Okay Guys sound's like a few here are interested in a Damp Tronic Suspension. Today i have talked with a Guy (Jan Fork)from Bilstein. He say that he have send my enquriy to the Guy which is the correct Person for GT500. So maybe in a few days i get an answere.

The Guy on Bilstein which handle my enquiry is Mr. Jan Fork.
He is the Person which is on the telephone when you have a Special enquiry like this is. Than he give ist to the right Manager (like the Manager from 2013GT500 Damp Tronic Bilstein)
What the Guys from Bilstein also say to me was, that at the moment they discuss to produce a Suspension for the GT500.
But don't know if they discuss (and not more at the Moment) about a standard B16 Suspension or if the discuss about a Plug and Play Damp Tronic.

So if you Guys are interested in a Damp Tronic also, contact Mr. Jan Fork maybe the chance is better that Bilstein produce a Suspension.
This is his Mail Adress: [email protected]
He stay in Germany but i think he also understand English.

Thank you Guys
Daniel

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread