Retrofitting '13/'14 GT500 Bilstein Damp-Tronic's to any '07-'12 GT500

2013DeepImpact

Established Member
After reading the whole thing (which is very informative by the way) One of the questions I have is how hard would it be/cost effective to have the solenoid in the shock swapped out to just run with the Bilstein controller box.

My other question is how hard would it be for some one to make their own controller box, this project reminds of something that could be made similar to what MegaSquirt did a few years back?

Still very interesting and gets the brain thinking either way

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
After reading the whole thing (which is very informative by the way) One of the questions I have is how hard would it be/cost effective to have the solenoid in the shock swapped out to just run with the Bilstein controller box.

My other question is how hard would it be for some one to make their own controller box, this project reminds of something that could be made similar to what MegaSquirt did a few years back?

Still very interesting and gets the brain thinking either way

Here's an interesting read about Ferrari owners who were removing the solenoid to control the shocks manually:

http://deltavee.net/2013/10/manually-adjusting-ferrari-bilstein-active-damping-system/

That company also does revalves/rebuilds. They might be a good point of contact to see if it were possible to swap solenoids over.

Federico Garza

Established Member

Still very interesting and gets the brain thinking either way[/QUOT

This sounds like an intersting or viable solution...

LEXiiON

Poser !!!!!!!!
Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Party Liquor Posse
On the newer models, shouldn't the addition of the VDM solve that issue? The wires need to be added and maybe a PCM update, but on 2011+ with the 2013 cluster and ABS that should work...

Last edited:

LEXiiON

Poser !!!!!!!!
Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Party Liquor Posse
Just thinking about it, on the older models redlinersperformance could add the HS-can commands to adjust to their blackbox ... So just wiring up the VDM and using the blackbox could work, too

Last edited:

LEXiiON

Poser !!!!!!!!
Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Party Liquor Posse
On the newer models, shouldn't the addition of the VDM solve that issue? The wires need to be added and maybe a PCM update, but on 2011+ with the 2013 cluster and ABS that should work...

I was looking at the VDM wiring diagrams. It should be a easy retrofit of the Bilsteins, if you have the 2013 GT500 cluster retrofit and flashed your PCM to 2013 FW (2011-2012). The VDM only needs power, HS CAN +/- ground and has the output to the 4 dampers...

For the folks with 2013+ it just is about adding the VDM, dampers, cables and update the as built...

LEXiiON

ZeroSVT

Established Member
We could probably control the dampers without the VDM. I will have a look at schematics later tonight.

I have considered doing this myself.

Cheers,
-Matt

LEXiiON

Poser !!!!!!!!
Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Party Liquor Posse
Hi Matt,

we could probably control the VDM with the blackbox. That way you get the Menus in the cluster displaying correctly.

The VDM is not that expensive.

here is the wiring diagram for it

LEXiiON VDM.jpgVDM2.jpg

LEXiiON

Poser !!!!!!!!
Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Party Liquor Posse
VDM Part #
[h=1]DR3Z-3C142-A[/h]Price around $285

Connectors

LEXiiONVDM_Con1.jpgVDM_Con2.jpg

LEXiiON

Poser !!!!!!!!
Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Party Liquor Posse
If Matt can modify his black box to control the VDM, then I guess so..

Matt, any thoughts?

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Short of some sort of related announcement from Bilstein at SEMA next month, I think it safe to say that they haven't followed through on this. Matt, If you can figure a way to to modify/use the factory box so that it would work as a standalone unit you'd have done the community a truly epic favor. There have been quite a few waiting and willing to pay for the requisite hardware should it eventually come along.

I hope you are successful in this effort.

Tob

Users who are viewing this thread