Retrofitting '13/'14 GT500 Bilstein Damp-Tronic's to any '07-'12 GT500

ZeroSVT

Established Member
Unfortunately they are a little to much for me to spend right at the moment. If someone has any or a 13/14 we can do a little testing with let me know

Cheers

TurboX2

Established Member
Some of the solutions presented are cool from a technical standpoint, but I still think people are making this waaayyy more complicated than it needs to be. The most elegant solution is of course to integrate similar to a factory setup, but all you should really need is a simple circuit similar to this...

80-002_e75b206ff50e4fb82bf3059534ba7530a7d75145.jpg

You would just need two discrete buttons somewhere in the interior. Key on power engages the solenoids so comfort mode is the default. Key on also engages time delay TD1, which closes the contacts around the resistors for 1 sec allowing full voltage to pull the solenoids in, then after TD1 drops out the resistors lower the voltage for lower holding power for the solenoids (resistor size would need to be calculated after measuring current on the circuit used). Pressing the 'sport' button engages CR1 which then drops out the solenoids and time delay and holds itself with a holding contact around the 'sport' button. Pressing the 'comfort' button would then drop CR1, again closing the contacts in front of the solenoids and re-engaging the time delay. Both buttons would be momentary. I've been VERY tempted to install a set of these myself, which is why I took the time to work things out, just don't really want to tear my interior apart to run all the wires...

Many thanks to my father (electrical engineer) who took the diagram I drew up and made it actually work... :-D

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Some of the solutions presented are cool from a technical standpoint, but I still think people are making this waaayyy more complicated than it needs to be. The most elegant solution is of course to integrate similar to a factory setup, but all you should really need is a simple circuit similar to this...

80-002_e75b206ff50e4fb82bf3059534ba7530a7d75145.jpg

You would just need two discrete buttons somewhere in the interior. Key on power engages the solenoids so comfort mode is the default. Key on also engages time delay TD1, which closes the contacts around the resistors for 1 sec allowing full voltage to pull the solenoids in, then after TD1 drops out the resistors lower the voltage for lower holding power for the solenoids (resistor size would need to be calculated after measuring current on the circuit used). Pressing the 'sport' button engages CR1 which then drops out the solenoids and time delay and holds itself with a holding contact around the 'sport' button. Pressing the 'comfort' button would then drop CR1, again closing the contacts in front of the solenoids and re-engaging the time delay. Both buttons would be momentary. I've been VERY tempted to install a set of these myself, which is why I took the time to work things out, just don't really want to tear my interior apart to run all the wires...

Many thanks to my father (electrical engineer) who took the diagram I drew up and made it actually work... :-D

star-trek-make-it-so.jpg

TurboX2

Established Member

:lol:

I realized later that it should be even simpler too...remove the 'Comfort' button on line one and the holding contact on line 2, and use a latching button for 'Sport' mode so it stays closed when pressed (keeping CR1 pulled in and solenoids dropped out while in Sport mode), then push the button again to open the contact and re-engage Comfort mode. If I do end up building one I may aquire one of the Bilstein buttons that Tob received and figure out which wires are for button, lighting, etc...or just find something similar depending on where it would be mounted in the interior...

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
...I may aquire one of the Bilstein buttons that Tob received and figure out which wires are for button, lighting, etc...

Post #103

Note - I didn't attend SEMA this year and thus didn't have the opportunity to talk with them. A cursory Google search for web/video information yields zilch in terms of a standalone DampTronic offering from them. Bilstein has a number of new products in this regard for the European market but nothing for us. Disappointing, as more time passes I believe we get further and further from seeing this one reach fruition (existing GT500 dampers/Bilstein control box/wiring/etc). Everything is already in production save for a slightly tweaked control box which Bilstein has produced in small numbers.

My God this is painful.

TurboX2

Established Member
Here's a cleaned up sketch in case someone wants to utilize it...only one button necessary and I had the time delay function backwards. I had it set up to close for the 1 second, but normal operation is normally closed and then contacts open after the time delay...

80-003_f2a686bceea3cc60c93ff6cce79c9c9199002a6e.jpg

Federico Garza

Established Member
I emailed diyautotune, and provided them with information on this thread, they are reviewing this and will get back to me with pricing to do the controllers...I will keep everyone posted.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I also finally talked with someone at Bilstein who would give me the time of day at PRI and I have a contact there that can help us re-valve of existing 2-mode SVTPP Bilsteins.
I'm off next week and will hopefully get an update.
-J

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
I emailed diyautotune, and provided them with information on this thread, they are reviewing this and will get back to me with pricing to do the controllers...I will keep everyone posted.

I also finally talked with someone at Bilstein who would give me the time of day at PRI and I have a contact there that can help us re-valve of existing 2-mode SVTPP Bilsteins.
I'm off next week and will hopefully get an update.
-J

Looking forward to seeing what both of you come up with. :banana:

TurboX2

Established Member
Just bought a set last night... :banana:

I'm in MN in the middle of winter so there won't be any install any time soon, but I'll start working on a controller and trying to source the necessary plugs. Anyone have any sources for the plugs?

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
The fronts - no. Just clip off the strut harness plugs and replace them with "X." The rear harness plugs are sourced from Jaguar. If you go back a few pages in this thread you'll find all the relevant numbers shown on each side of the connectors.

Users who are viewing this thread