Retrofitting a '13 GT500 carbon fiber driveshaft to an '07-'12 GT500

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Ray, it's an interesting dynamic, watching/listening to any number of individuals describe what they hear from their vehicle and whether they embrace it or shun it. For me, the reaction is visceral or instinctual. I hear a light (very light) gear hum from the transmission and I know exactly what the transmission is doing. If I listen very hard, I can sense the pinion doing its thing as well. With everything meshing properly it's a beautiful thing.

The problem is that everyone interprets the noises differently and the matter is highly subjective. I don't see much difference between the whine of the blower versus most any other gear application, unless the gears aren't set up right and the noise is indicative of something wrong.

Regarding the stripes, I had my qualms about yanking them off shortly after purchasing the car. I just like a clean car with a great driveline and suspension and not much else. The CF shaft tied together all the mods I've done up front as well as out back. Thank you for recognizing the effort.

Rod - you are first on my dibs list.:)

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
My good friend JTB paid me a visit from Toronto to pick up a few parts. We spent a few minutes in the car and I think he'd attest to the same comments I've had. The cf shaft doesn't make its presence know in any way. He whipped up a quick video to boot. Thanks brother!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28OgYNQ526w

Wingrider

Established Member
Tob, You absolutely rock on the installs you do and a huge thank you for your detailed pics and descriptions for those that may be a tad shy about going deeper than an oil change. As for me, I have done some mods including the Revan HE kit and a boss 302 brake duct kit install mod'ed to work in my 2011. Others I've left to the pros at my local Mod shop.

This thread talks about a driveshaft install for 07-12 GT500's (and I know you have an '09) but do you have any thoughts about what it would take to install the Ford CF shaft in an '11 or '12?

Keep up the great work!
-Wingrider

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Thanks for the kind words.

Everything regarding fitment relates to '11/'12 years as well. Bolt-on with the the appropriate adapter. The same as what I used.

Black05Shelby

Established Member
Good morning Tob, any updates on the adapter? Sorry to bother you with it as you have other things going on, just really interested in this mod for my 2009. Thanks Joe

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
No bother at all Joe. In fact, I just spoke with my machinist yesterday about doing a run of five of these. I've also asked him to get them coated this time. In the mean time, contact Tousley or another supporting vendor for a price on a factory driveshaft.

moncho

Established Member
Tob,

There may be many in front of me but if there is an opening please let me know. There's been simply too much put into this to let it pass.

Cheers,
Ray

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Hehe. There's no line Ray. I've asked for Travis' blessing for an abbreviated run. So let me see what he thinks and I'll keep you two in mind regarding the five. First and foremost, my thoughts on what should be done if you're serious about this. I'd recommend:

- Purchasing a new factory fixed flange (I'd use a 2011/2012 GT500 as the vehicle to use when ordering as you aren't paying for the ring that needs to come off and they are less money that the '07-'09 flange).

- Purchase a new output shaft bolt, washer, and o-ring from Ford Parts (Tousley, etc). You can use '07-'12 when ordering these as they are all the same.

- Use a supporting vendor, such as Tousley, that can get OEM Ford Parts at prices that don't cause permanent colon enlargement when ordering the drive shaft.

All the part numbers are shown a few pages back if you go back through the thread.

HooperWest

DECIDER
Established Member
IMG_1391_zps059c2acf.jpg

Epic project Tob!

So many months have past since I dropped that shaft off, months filled with incredibly, creative efforts on your part to get that thing installed.

It was all worth it, your car looks and drives great!

Last edited:

moncho

Established Member
Hehe. There's no line Ray. I've asked for Travis' blessing for an abbreviated run. So let me see what he thinks and I'll keep you two in mind regarding the five. First and foremost, my thoughts on what should be done if you're serious about this. I'd recommend:

- Purchasing a new factory fixed flange (I'd use a 2011/2012 GT500 as the vehicle to use when ordering as you aren't paying for the ring that needs to come off and they are less money that the '07-'09 flange).

- Purchase a new output shaft bolt, washer, and o-ring from Ford Parts (Tousley, etc). You can use '07-'12 when ordering these as they are all the same.

- Use a supporting vendor, such as Tousley, that can get OEM Ford Parts at prices that don't cause permanent colon enlargement when ordering the drive shaft.

All the part numbers are shown a few pages back if you go back through the thread.

Thanks for keeping me in mind Tob. This will fit in my eventual mod list when the time comes.

Cheers,
Ray

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
A tip of the hat to you sir.

Tom is done machining a run of five. Next they are being sent off for a black oxide coating. I need to source the hardware as well. My plan is to pick up five new factory 2011 flanges (I used that year as an example) and Loctite/torque the two together as a completed assembly. The end user would only have to source the output shaft bolt, washer, and o-ring from their favorite dealer or SVTP vendor. Those part numbers are listed earlier in this thread.

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
:beer:

so to summarize:

one buys the above referenced assembly , the CF DS, the mentioned bolt/washer/o-ring and one would be set to install the 13+ DS?

what is the price point on the flange assembly?

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
You deserve a cookie as you've obviously been paying attention. I was going to get the flanges from Tousley and the bolts from Fastenal. I can't quote on that yet. I don't have a final number on the flanges until they are plated and shipped. But you are indeed correct on what it takes.

Users who are viewing this thread