Rod knock...or?

OSU34

Established Member
Looking for your guys’ or gals’ opinion since most of you know these cars inside and out more than anyone around. Long story short I’m aching for a project this winter and saw a 03 terminator for sale local to me - the car has had these mods done:

- 2.4 Kenne Bell super charger
- Kenne Bell Boost A Pump
- SCT MAF and tuner.
- Manley pistons and connecting rods with only 4K on engine rebuild.
- cobra breaks.
- Ford Racing 60lb injectors.
- full Exaust system.
- racing clutch.
- IRS Rear bushing kit.
- pro 5.0 shifter
- Center force dual friction clutch.

The bad - the car has developed a “knock” or the dreaded head “tick” (hence why I’m asking for your ears but I’m leaning towards something more serious wrong with the car). I asked the seller if he’s drained the oil and examined for metal particles or discoloration and he has not done that but tested the oil pressure and that’s normal. He took it to a mechanic and they think it’s a rod knock but they aren’t 100% sure and quoted him just short of 7k to fix. At this point, along with the video below that’s all I know. Let me know what you guys/gals think!

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

BADBOYSVT

Established Member
These 4v motor is expensive to work on . Some time I’m scare to beat the hell out off it
For the video , timing chain slack ?

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
Could possibly be timing chain slapping around in there. I had a shredded chain tensioner on one of my heads that sounded like that, but not as loud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MaxSimoneau

Established Member
I had a similar knock and I thought it was a rod knock , but it was only a timing chain tensionner.. I hope it is the same for you

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
LMAO..............
Sounds good to me.JPG

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
Drain the oil to see what it looks like. Cut the oil filter open see what’s in it.
Pull the plugs roll it over, see what noises it makes.

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
Drain the oil to see what it looks like. Cut the oil filter open see what’s in it.
Pull the plugs roll it over, see what noises it makes.

Agreed. Who knows, there could be no specs of metal in there and it could be the tensioner. What's the asking price? A decent bottom end rebuild could be $1500-$5000 depending on parts and things of that nature.

Users who are viewing this thread