Rod thru Block

boostingwild

Established Member
Put a rod thru the block

e85 car with stock motor, it was only a matter of time. lasted me more than 2 years this way.

Need suggestions on engines for this car, who has personal experience with any companies and can give me some feedback with your experience.

thanks

ALLKHEINZ

Established Member
how much power were you making? what blower and fuel system etc etc.....BES, RGR, MPR are a few of the engine builders I here alot about....JDM is building them now aswell.

Bad Company

Established Member
Personally I'd either be talking with John Mihovetz at Accufab Racing in CA or Tony Bischoff at BES Racing Engines in IN. Both are going to take a year to get an engine built. Tony has taken a longer time in getting mine back together. It should be done shortly from what I was told Friday

Your biggest issue is finding a 5.8L block. Ford doesn't have many, if any of these in inventory to start with.

A quick alternative is a JDM Engineering's short block, but you probably have cylinder head damage also. I'm sure if you need it quickly and you do have head damage they can sell you a complete long block.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?1118344-JDM-Built-5-8L-Shortblocks-going-on-sale!!!

HighTorque

Established Member
Mpr turn around time is nowhere near 1 yr probably closer to 2 months and they do great work.

E55rocket

Established Member
I'm in the same boat as you. I went with MPR and was told around 6 weeks and I believe this week will be 6 weeks but I ended up having to go a different route on cylinder heads so I'm sure that added some time. I'm putting a 4.5L whipple on it so I went with a new 5.8 block and Darton sleeves, Bryant billet crank etc. His prices are very good and his reputation speaks for itself.

Bad Company

Established Member
I'm in the same boat as you. I went with MPR and was told around 6 weeks and I believe this week will be 6 weeks but I ended up having to go a different route on cylinder heads so I'm sure that added some time. I'm putting a 4.5L whipple on it so I went with a new 5.8 block and Darton sleeves, Bryant billet crank etc. His prices are very good and his reputation speaks for itself.
The heads aren't going to be the issue on the time line. If MPR had to order the crank. Find another hobby for a while. The cranks from Bryant or Winberg are 6 months to a year to get from order date to delivery date.

E55rocket

Established Member
Both Sonny Bryant and Weinberg had a stock stroke crank in stock ready to ship. I called both of them to make sure they had them before I decided I was going that route. I want to make well over 1300hp so the billet crank was a must. The heads set me back a little time wise because I decided to use a different set than I had planned on using originally.

JimIII@jdm

We have a billet Bryant 5.4L crank in stock as well, usually try to keep 1 at all times :)

Turbo98GT

Mod Motor Mustangs
Established Member
Mpr, mps should be the first stops. There are a few more but only good engine shots are east Midwest and East coast.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
Sorry to hear this OP, We all know (even me) at over 800whp it's just a waiting game of when you snap a rod. That's part of the reason I drive mine like a old lady now.

TORQJNKY

Steve, My MPR Darton sleeved 5.8 shortblock took 7 months. Dropped off in February, arrives this week. It was the start of race season when I dropped it off, so I can somewhat understand. Glad to see you decided to go with MPR.

Last edited:

E55rocket

Established Member
Steve, My MPR Darton sleeved 5.8 shortblock took 7 months. Dropped off in February, arrives this week. It was the start of race season when I dropped it off, so I can somewhat understand. Glad to see you decided to go with MPR.

Wow I was going to send you an email and ask if you got the engine back yet. I guess I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Turbo98GT

Mod Motor Mustangs
Established Member
I'd love to know the details of how the engine was raced and mods? Hopefully honest responses so we can all learn.

Aftermarket Cams?
Type of blower?
Shift rpm?
Fuel?
Miles on the engine?
Who tuned it?
How many times drag raced?
How many roll racing hits?
Maintenance plan?

E55rocket

Established Member
Aftermarket cams? No
Type of blower? Trinity tvs
Shift rpm? 6700-6800
Fuel? C16 usually sometimes C12
Miles on the engine? 9,000
Who tuned it? Lund
How many times drag raced? More than I can remember
How many roll racing hits? 50+
Maintenance plan? Plugs every 500-750 miles. 5w-50 amsoil every 1500 miles

The important questions are really shift rpm, timing, boost and fuel. I was at 19-21psi and 22-23 degrees of timing. I knew it wasn't safe shifting at 6800

E55rocket

Established Member
It seems like guys that shift at 6200 or lower don't snap rods typically. My car was making power up to 6800 where I was shifting so I said hell with it that's where I'll shift. I knew it was on borrowed time

Hourigan218

Established Member
So either build the engine before hand or shift at 6000-6300, keep boost around the 15-17 psi and keep the timing down a bit. That way hopefully does not blow as soon.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
So either build the engine before hand or shift at 6000-6300, keep boost around the 15-17 psi and keep the timing down a bit. That way hopefully does not blow as soon.

Pretty much yes, I'm making 16psi and my Shift light comes on 5,800, so i usually shift right at 6k, Lund has my timing at 17 degrees

MG0h3

Established Member
Just curious here but is the rod failure the likely weak point on the 5.8l? I just googled and as expected its forged. I think Ive read of one Terminator rod failure and it was like at 1000whp or something.

Users who are viewing this thread