ROKU. How many of you have it? How do you like it?

shanezt

corn fed
Established Member
we have had roku for years. the idea works great, streaming. the roku on the other hand is a pile of shit. always needs rebooted, freezes, remote needs repairing. we are going to order an amazon streaming thingy this week to try that out.

GCubersoldat

Established Member
I'm tired of paying for cable. How do you like the ROKU system?

I love it, my only complaint is that its right at the edge of my wireless network range and will occasionally act up because of it. Not the roku's fault just make sure that you get a good signal from your router wherever you want to put it before actually getting it.

l337

Established Member
I have a Roku 3. No problems. Good content. I do have NetFlix and Hulu Plus accounts. I don't really play any games on it. Just movies and TV shows.

Lots of value to be found in these devices. You can of course still get free HD content for local affiliates using a standard HD antenna which provides a nice compromise if you still need some live TV.

Last edited:

mlpascual

Established Member
i cut the cable cord years ago never looked back i have the roku older version and an apple TV. The only thing i miss is live sports.

Crimson2v

Established Member
Premium Member
We have the roku 3 and love it. We watch a ton of movies with Netflix and with hulu plus there are tv shows. We have saved 60 bucks a month, from cable.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
Just bought the Netgear NeoTV last night and it works well. The WiFi is downstairs behind the TV, so the signal is weak and the unit buffered. Moved the TV and it worked great, so I need a ST longer WiFi unit. For $35, it was worth a shot and I'm happy so far.

PoohBear

I am the Red Cyclone
Established Member
I Have the Roku 3 and Google ChromeCast. Roku has more apps, but also cost a lot more($99). Maybe it's just me, but I only use it for Netflix and Amazon Prime. ChromeCast cast to your TV from your phone/tablet. It's Much cheaper($30), but not a lot of apps out yet. I Don't really care for Hulu as I just watch TV through my HD-Antenna. The only thing I really miss is sports, which you can usually stream from a computer or go to a bar, :shrug:

03dsgcobranc

Fujiwara zone
Established Member
I have an older Roku. I love it. No problems whatsoever in the three years I've had it. Streams fast. Netflix, Youtube, etc..Going Roku and HD antenna combo is the way to go.

Last edited:

Woody6799

Established Member
I only run the Roku in my house, netflix and hulu plus for $16 a month... the only thing I miss is football. One works perfectly, and has for 3 years, the other is a POS that freezes constantly. I just picked up a Samsung bd-f5900 that is going to replace the bad Roku and serve basically the same purpose. I don't think I will ever go back to cable, it's just too expensive when I watch MAYBE 3 hours of TV a week...

ElscottHavoc

It's all your fault.
Established Member
Love our roku but ever since buying the ps4, it pretty much serves our streaming needs. The other roku available channels are pretty low quality in my opinion and the high quality ones are hardly exclusive to the took or any other streaming device.

Posted via Topify on Android

Last edited:

RX1Cobra

Established Member
Buy an android mini pc and add xbmc. Will solve all your problems.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
We have a roku 3 and love it. We only stream netflix with it, but I am thinking about cutting cable and just getting a subscription to hulu plus or amazon prime or something. Just gotta talk the wife into it. We also stream using our wii U.

wundrbird

Proud Father
Established Member
My wife and I dropped cable over 3 years ago and haven't looked back. We have a Roku and love it. We're set up with Netflix, HuluPlus, Amazon Prime, and a friend of mine lets me use his HBO GO account, so we never run out of anything to watch. Plenty of apps to choose from, too. We also have a digital antenna that gets us about 16 local channels including the big four, CW, three public television channels, and 4 retro channels that play a lot of what my wife and I enjoyed when we were younger and know is safe for our son to watch.

Here's the antenna:

https://www.antennasdirect.com/store/ClearStream-4-Ultra-Long-Range-Outdoor-DTV-Antenna.html

C4_New_Balun_500X500.png

Amazon has it cheaper, around $130, but we picked it up directly from the manufacturer during a sale for $90, and that included the J-mount. You can mount it in an attic if you don't want to see it on the outside of your house.

I was going to try to Amazon Fire TV, but it doesn't have HBO Go yet, so I'm waiting. :) I might pick it up, because our Roku is 3 years old, and I have to reboot it once every few days. Not a big deal to me.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Are there any real advantage to a Roku vs. a PS3.

For the most part no. Maybe power consumption. If you have a media pc, xbox 360/one, or ps3/4, then its mostly the same apps. Hulu, Amazon, and Netflix on all the major players. Even my smart TV from 3 years ago has the majority of it(plus some).

woodzusa

Established Member
We have a apple tv2, xbox and a roku hd. The roku blows them all away. Apple tv limits you to only a very small number of channels. Xbox has a few more with access to amazon,vudu, netflix, and a few other pay as you go services. Roku has soooo many more channels. The only draw back with mine is it doesn't have a secondary audio out. No toslink or standard audio outs. It all goes through the HDMI. They may have changed this since mine is several years old.

Dump that cable. Money can go on mods!!!

Users who are viewing this thread