Roush TVS vs Vortech centri.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Oh shit you're both in Gulfport lol!!?? Dude I'm 45 mins away ahahahaha!!!! We need to meet up and run them!!

FoofKiller

I> /\/\
Established Member
Op, no surprise you won. You have more boost and if you didnt have the longtubes the boost would be even higher. What size pulley you running on the tvs? Vortech had stock pulley and no longtubes right?

Regardless nice runs!

Who runs more boost means squat. PSI is nothing more than a measure of restriction.

Good runs guys. I'd really like to see those daytime vids with some clean runs as well. TVS, Paxton and Vortechs are all strong choices for these cars. Thanks for sharing the vids. :rockon:

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Come on over man!!! I usually only go to mobile when I'm going to TDC for some dyno time

Lets try to setup a time to meet up.. Is there a halfway point we can meet up at maybe vs me driving all the way to Gulfport.. It's actually not 45min it's like an hour since I'm in Daphne on the other side of the bay.. :beer:

Need4Speed03

Established Member
Who runs more boost means squat. PSI is nothing more than a measure of restriction.

What? The OP's car is running more boost with less restriction, meaning he's moving alot more air then the other stock vortech pulley car! A more efficent setup will move the same amount of air but at a lower psi, he who moves more air makes more power.

Last edited:

FoofKiller

I> /\/\
Established Member
What? The OP's car is running more boost with less restriction, meaning he's moving alot more air then the other stock vortech pulley car! A more efficent setup will move the same amount of air but at a lower psi, he who moves more air makes more power.

There are so many variables to racing that you can't just make a blanket statement to say something like most boost = win. It doesn't work like that and you know it.

Need4Speed03

Established Member
There are so many variables to racing that you can't just make a blanket statement to say something like most boost = win. It doesn't work like that and you know it.

I agree with you, but many variables are taken out of the equation when roll racing. MPH is an indicator of HP and usually the car with more HP wins roll races. (obviously assuming drivers are equally skilled)

Last edited:

FoofKiller

I> /\/\
Established Member
I agree with you, but many variables are taken out of the equation when roll racing. MPH is an indicator of HP and usually the car with more HP wins roll races. (obviously assuming drivers are equally skilled)

That's not necessarily the case. The different types of powerbands come into play as well. TVS vs centri the TVS car is making instant torque while the centri car is having to spin up to it. Centri cars typically make great peak power, but also tend to have to play catch up due to the instant torque the PD (positive displacement) setups. Traction is a huge problem for the PD group as well due to the instant torque, so you have to add that variable as well. Anyone who has been racing the last 10 years know that the Terminator guys are the most guilty of taking advantage of this scenario by stealing the hit and then hit the brakes before the other car fetches them. lol. Anything can and will happen when it comes to racing. A+B doesn't always equal C in racing.

Need4Speed03

Established Member
That's not necessarily the case. The different types of powerbands come into play as well. TVS vs centri the TVS car is making instant torque while the centri car is having to spin up to it. Centri cars typically make great peak power, but also tend to have to play catch up due to the instant torque the PD (positive displacement) setups. Traction is a huge problem for the PD group as well due to the instant torque, so you have to add that variable as well. Anyone who has been racing the last 10 years know that the Terminator guys are the most guilty of taking advantage of this scenario by stealing the hit and then hit the brakes before the other car fetches them. lol. Anything can and will happen when it comes to racing. A+B doesn't always equal C in racing.

Again, I agree with you and well said. I had a KB 03 Cobra and many nitrous cars so I know all about instant torque.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
There are so many reason why Centri car's need gears imo.. Especially for street racing. Get that Centri car some 3.73's and that instant tq hit goes away in a hurry. The race can't go to 150mph which is actually safer...

We'll see what happens when I run the TVS :beer: He should still beat me on paper but hopefully not as bad :)

Last edited:

grnenvy

Established Member
Yes

When I first moved down here to Tampa everyone was roll racing and in Philly and NY it's always been from a dig. My car was setup to run from a dig. Every import wanted to run my 03 Cobra. They always wanted to run from there perfect speed which didn't make any sense to me since I was always stuck in between my gear change.
I got smart fast and excepted the offer but it would be the best out of 3 one from a dig one from there speed and the other from 55. This is the only way to see whos faster and the better driver. Anyone in Tampa wanna run??

again, roll race, stick car,

starting rpm, and driver are everything,

take 2 autos and put them side by side at the different rpms starts and go from there

milgt

Established Member
There are so many reason why Centri car's need gears imo.. Especially for street racing. Get that Centri car some 3.73's and that instant tq hit goes away in a hurry. The race can't go to 150mph which is actually safer...

We'll see what happens when I run the TVS :beer: He should still beat me on paper but hopefully not as bad :)

The only gear I'm considering doing is 3.55s, I just don't think having anything more than those is beneficial for me and that's just how i feel about it as everyone has their own opinion on the subject.
Hey I'm not too far from you guys. Let me know when the meet up is!
I wouldn't mind splitting the driving between you and the guy in mobile the only thing is i would be uncomfortable running em somewhere I'm not familiar with
Lol ya I thought the breakdowns going on were pretty funny. What really surprised me was that Mach. That car will be a monster when he gets it lined out.

It always happens lol,i just like to race bc its so fun regardless of if i win or lose

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
The only gear I'm considering doing is 3.55s, I just don't think having anything more than those is beneficial for me and that's just how i feel about it as everyone has their own opinion on the subject.

I wouldn't mind splitting the driving between you and the guy in mobile the only thing is i would be uncomfortable running em somewhere I'm not familiar with

It always happens lol,i just like to race bc its so fun regardless of if i win or lose

I totally understand.. You gotta remember that our transmission gearing is very very different.. your 5th gear is a 1:1 and that my fourth gear.. So yea.. You only want to shift 4x's which will change the rear end gearing to optimize that :beer:

I know what you mean about running in places that you feel comfortable.. I'm the same way.. either way one of us is going to have to drive lol.. We'll get it all worked out though. I don't mind driving I guess, it's just a long drive and gas isn't getting any cheaper that's for sure

SILV03MustangGT

Han Brolo CDR 5.Broliance
Established Member
I gave Chris my number. I think it's supposed to rain the next couple of days. I'm not swapping to E85. It looks like this school is going to keep my evenings somewhat busy. Ill be free over the weekends though.

3.55s are def going to force you into 5th on a roll race if you don't get a good launch though. I'm topping out around 140ish in 4th

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread