Rules and regs in your industry that negatively affect society

tistan

Established Member
I haul thousands of businesses' trash, there is never ending government regulations in my industry
One of my good friends grandad started their trash company back in the late 50's. He had a 6th grade education, but probably one of the wisest people I've ever known. He needed to feed his family so he said, he figured he could put trash in the back of my truck and take it to the dump. That is how is company started. No rules and regulations to get in the way. He worked until he was almost 80. Now my buddy owns it and I'd guess they have 20-30 trucks now, but the rules and regs are killing him. The America that presents someone,with very little education, the opportunity to work their way to become a millionaire, is the America I want to live in.

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
One of my good friends grandad started their trash company back in the late 50's. He had a 6th grade education, but probably one of the wisest people I've ever known. He needed to feed his family so he said, he figured he could put trash in the back of my truck and take it to the dump. That is how is company started. No rules and regulations to get in the way. He worked until he was almost 80. Now my buddy owns it and I'd guess they have 20-30 trucks now, but the rules and regs are killing him. The America that presents someone,with very little education, the opportunity to work their way to become a millionaire, is the America I want to live in.
we get so much scrutiny for such an important industry that no one thinks about. forget about regulations, the insurance policies we need to carry alone could crush a company.

01yellercobra

Established Member
For us the extra money comes from the PM's not being able to schedule very well. We have a program we use as a big part of our job, and using it can add a couple weeks to our process. It's supposed to be handled by another department, but apparently they can't handle it. So they add the steps to our process, but don't give us the money to cover it. They're suprised when we tell them we need more funding. They're shocked that adding more work requires more time.

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
I am in electric utility design and holy shit is everything a fight between permitting authorities (DOT, DNR USACE, railroads), customers, land owners and regulatory authorities (FERC, PSC, etc)

The general public is so dumb too. They want renewable energy, they want it cheap and they don't want to see power generating facilities/substations/overhead lines. In reality, they can pick one of those 3 at the expense of the other 2.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
When I came into work today HR was standing at the door handing out roses to women. There is a woman of the month that flashes across TV screens ever 30 feet. Is there a MAN of the month? No. When I send an email to HR about that they don't even care to reply. A place where 95% of the workforce is MEN that are the SKILLED LABOR and 50% of the UNSKILLED labor are MEN. So they either don't care about the MEN or feel the WOMEN are inferior and need to cater to their feelings. For the record I care less to be recognized but I work with some incredibly talented men here that should be.

HOOKERS.

International Woman's day has it's origins in Soviet Russia and is a thing... March 8th.

Russia however, also has "Men's Day" which is February 23 and is called "Defenders of the Fatherland" and is to thank all the men for being fathers, warriors and the builders of society.

Women sing songs at work, bring special dishes to feed the men and pay thanks for all the things men do.

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
International Woman's day has it's origins in Soviet Russia and is a thing... March 8th.

Russia however, also has "Men's Day" which is February 23 and is called "Defenders of the Fatherland" and is to thank all the men for being fathers, warriors and the builders of society.

Women sing songs at work, bring special dishes to feed the men and pay thanks for all the things men do.
I mean why shouldn't MEN's Day be on my birthday???!!!

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
My biggest gripe is people bitching about contractors running up the cost of housing, when it is local building code enforcement that is actually running up the cost. I've been building long enough to remember when we didn't have foundations that you could build the empire state building on, metal connections on every piece of framing, non arch fault breakers that worked, no UL requirements for plumbing and electric fixtures, oil base paints and stains, window U factors requirements so low that only the most high end companies can comply. The big corporate companies like Simpson, Seimens, Eaton, Kohler, Delta, etc. all pay off the building departments to enforce codes that only companies as big as them can comply. As contractors, we are then forced to accept the codes and pass on the expense to the customer for your protection. We then have to kiss some inspectors ass that has only read a book and has no understanding of actual building. Then try explaining to people, that think the building department is there to protect them from the bad contractors, that the building department is actually the one ****ing them. Guess what, if the building department misses something in the inspection, you don't get to sue the building department, but you get to pay for all of the expensive needless shit that the building department forced on you. When you really break it down, the building department is just like the mob. Everyone complains that no one is building low cost housing, but it isn't that people don't want to build it, it is impossible to build low cost anymore. The amount of ****ing paperwork is now is just insane. If I wanted this much reading and paperwork I would have went to law school. All that wasted time and cost is passed onto the consumer.

Almost forgot, the insurance that I am required to carry by the building department, now requires me to get a signed subcontractor agreement with every sub before I can hire them. I just had my attorney draw up the standard agreement, and every person I hire wants to have a ****ing legal argument about whats in it. I've had to tell people if you want it changed to your liking, you are more than welcome to pay my attorney $500 an hour to make it agreeable.
Buddy is currently having a house built. Fireplace/chimney was 100% up to code. Framing inspector wanted extra metal added because "that's the way he likes it". Not code. So, cost my buddy an extra $500 to do the extra the inspector wanted, even though it's plainly not in the code.

I'm not in the industry, but I've heard some horror stories about inspectors and their power trips. I'm a member of a few building groups (planning my own build) and there's some crazy stuff. What do you do, fold against their $500 request, or let them make it hard on you with delays, nitpicking, etc?

My buddy just did the $500 change with the hope he won't come up with anything else.

tistan

Established Member
Buddy is currently having a house built. Fireplace/chimney was 100% up to code. Framing inspector wanted extra metal added because "that's the way he likes it". Not code. So, cost my buddy an extra $500 to do the extra the inspector wanted, even though it's plainly not in the code.

I'm not in the industry, but I've heard some horror stories about inspectors and their power trips. I'm a member of a few building groups (planning my own build) and there's some crazy stuff. What do you do, fold against their $500 request, or let them make it hard on you with delays, nitpicking, etc?

My buddy just did the $500 change with the hope he won't come up with anything else.
I've had inspectors try that. I won't do it. Electrical and gas fireplaces are the worst of it. My electricians usually will bitch and do what the building tells them, but they don't pass that to me. My fireplace guy is old school and he will fight them on some of this shit.

One time the inspector tried to make me put in a handrail on a walkway with a 6' drop. I had the before pictures that showed the handrail was never there. I showed them to him and told him you can't force me to do something that was never there. I told him the handrail was going to be $2,000 and that he could make the check out to me. He decided it didn't need a new handrail to pass.

Just recently I had some steel beams put in. The engineer called for 3/4 bolts or welding the connections. I did both because it seemed like a lot more weight than I felt comfortable loading on just that small of an area of the webbing. The inspector sees the welds and tells me I need a certification for them. I show him the engineering plan and ask him if I just did 3/4" bolts, then I don't need an inspection? He said that is correct. I said so therefore the weld is completely irrelevant and extra and I don't need an inspection. He says okay I'll let it slide this time. I said you're not letting anything slide because it is not required.

I'm at the point that I'm so sick of the building departments shit that I give no ****s when dealing with them. I've told the head of the department that I do un-permitted work whenever possible because his inspectors don't understand building and makes everything a pain in the ass. Then if I make a change to the plan they charge me a splice fee. Some times when I'm in the field it make sense to go to a larger beam or bigger column. If the inspector catches it, I have to go back to the engineer, he has to make a change, I have to go back to building and file it, then I have to get reinspected. If I have to use a different Simpson bracket, I have to go back to the engineer I lose 2 days waiting on inspectors, because the inspections department only tells you what day they are coming and will not give a time. I lose a couple days waiting on the engineer. Then I have to pay him, then I have to pay the building a splice fee.

Users who are viewing this thread