Running Nitto D/R's On The Street?

Justin07

Established Member
That's what i figured, as long as you drive civilized in the rain there shouldn't be any issues. When it's raining theres no reason to drive fast especially in high powered vehicles like the lightning, bad things always happen when you do.
I'm all about trying things out for myself, so i'll get a set and see how they are for myself.

Ct.TOPGUN

Established Member
I have gone to Nitto DRs out of necessity as F1s will not begin to handle my HP. The DRs impress me. They handle every bit as good as the F1s wet, or dry. As they wear down I can see them being bad on wet roads, but the same goes for any tire.
About 10K on my first set and still look good. I don't use them at the track. They look so right on the back of a Lightning.
Jim

AliensExist4

Pz LTNG
Established Member
I'm thinking about the Nitto 555 for the front and the Nittor 555R's for the rear. Can this be done. If so should i be ok with this and has anyone done it and can give me a little info. I'm on 03-04 style 18'inch rims by the way. Thanks

- Patrick

FordFanStan

Established Member
Lots of peeps done this already Patrick. I will be doing the same this next set I buy. two 295/45/18 Nitto 555's and two 305/45/18 Nitto 555R's. Matching treads is always nice... Stan

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
I daily drive my Nitto DR's. Rain or shine. Never had any problems with them in the rain at all. I've had the current set on since last April and they're still going strong. I also run them at 18psi all the time.

fuelonempty

حمدالله على نعمة العقل...
Established Member
D/R + Rain =
ziditcrash095.gif

Totalled.

EZ SPEED

Boost Kills !!!!!!!
Established Member
BC Lightning said:
actually nitto DRs cut through water better than regular 555's, the problem is when the have worn down rubber

FordFanStan said:
I dont understand that one, that could have happened with any tire if your doing kickdowns or speeding in the rain. The Nitoo DR's had better wet traction on my stock wheels than my $296 a tire, BFG's on my 20's... Stan

I agree !!!!!!! Nitto Drag radials are AWESOME in the rain as long as there is plenty of rubber left on them :rockon:

FineLineMtrSprt

I like bacon!
Established Member
I put over 10k on mine..and they still had "some" tread when i took them off. Thats with about 10-12 strip passes...and the equivilent of about 20 street passes and 5-8 decent burnouts....and even highway driving. Even had my 700+lbs ATV in the back a couple times. Did some light rain driving but thats what i had my bronco as a second vehicle.

PhLoBuS

JDM/KB Lightning
Established Member
do they make nittos to fit our stock rims or our rims in a different size to fit a bigger nitto tire?

L8APEX

*Turbo Not to Scale
Established Member
Premium Member
I've just got a pair of nitto 555rs on the rear of my truck a few weeks ago, (look at my avatar for the reason, yep its a glowplug) I haven't had a great chance to see how well they preform in the dry yet but they have done better than I expected on ice and snow (at least in light amounts.) When we got over 6 inches of snow a few weeks ago I did not make it all the way out of the garage. I never like to take her out when its nasty outside but the heater in the DD was messed up and since work is about 30 miles away... :kaboom:

Last edited:

BC Lightning

Project Panty Dropper
Established Member
Sinister04L said:
I daily drive my Nitto DR's. Rain or shine. Never had any problems with them in the rain at all. I've had the current set on since last April and they're still going strong. I also run them at 18psi all the time.

Like I posted before< Ihave been running this set up of Nitto 555 295/45/18 up front and Nitto 555R 305/45/18 since my first Gen 2 L back in summer of 2002 and have never run a different tire combo on the streets (except when I'm street racing and have my slicks and skinnies on :coolman: or lazy at the track and drive home on them)

I'm sorry but if you wreck in the rain with them on you either wern't driving under control or ran them bald

FordFanStan

Established Member
AliensExist4 said:
Wheres the cheapest place to get Nitto's? Thanks

- Patrick

Patrick look on our local site, there is a new thread that asks this same question and alot of peeps answered... Stan

BC Lightning

Project Panty Dropper
Established Member
ChuteboxeL03 said:
Alot of you guys pick up different tires for the front and rear, how do you go about rotating them?

I dont rotate, I buy new ones

Users who are viewing this thread