S55 AMG Benz vs. 03 cobra

redfire03 svt

Established Member
Last night on my way home I had an encounter with a S55 AMG Benz. I had just pulled off from a stoplight and out of now where comes this blacked out Black AMG Benz. I was already in 2nd at 3000rpms to I give a slight jump, no bite. He is about one car length back in the lane next to me. Then I see the nose of his benz lift up and hear his engine, and we are off. He got the jump first, so he came from one car back to my nose being by his driver side door.

I wanted to let him get just in front of me so I could see the outcome, I floor it and spin a little, and then I start pulling back. By the top of second his nose was at my passenger door, and then I had to shut down because of heavy traffic. Not much of a race, but I thought I would post it anyway. Do you know what kind of power those things put down. It was a larger sedan, so I know it was heavy. :rockon:

2001GTconv

Established Member
The 2004 S55 AMG has a 5.4L 493 horsepower engine capable of propelling the S55 to 60 mph in only 4.6 seconds.

Dont take it lightly ... that thing moves ... but it cost around $100,000

redfire03 svt

Established Member
Well, with my current mods, I guess the outcome was about right. I did not pull bus lengths, but did let him get the jump first, and then I started, so all in all I was happy with how my terminator performed. He was lucky I don't have my 2.93 pulley on yet:)

99_venum

SVT Madness
Established Member
Those things are monsters for a big heavy boat. I ran one with my sprayed Cobra and was impressed with the performance he put out. He told me that it cost a buck twenty and he had headers, full exhaust, pulley and a tune being done next week (that was three weeks ago). I guess I need to go find him and try again. He should be right along side or maybe pulling me a little if he gets the tune right.

Like 2001GTconv said, don't take these things lightly, or you will find yourself in trouble trying to catch up and they won't miss a gear to give you a chance ;-)

BTW Good Kill!

Steeda30

Clearance Clarence
Established Member
Good run, those AMG's are no joke. It probably suprised him that you started pulling back, :D

94ShoOff

AKA Darkside
Established Member
Nice! I had one instigate with me a few weeks ago from a 70mph roll. There was too much traffic to put him properly in his place, but they are very nice looking cars.

Stormsigma

Went from 6.0 to 5.0!
Established Member
99_venum said:
Those things are monsters for a big heavy boat. I ran one with my sprayed Cobra and was impressed with the performance he put out. He told me that it cost a buck twenty and he had headers, full exhaust, pulley and a tune being done next week (that was three weeks ago). I guess I need to go find him and try again. He should be right along side or maybe pulling me a little if he gets the tune right.

Like 2001GTconv said, don't take these things lightly, or you will find yourself in trouble trying to catch up and they won't miss a gear to give you a chance ;-)

BTW Good Kill!

Of course he will. All the AMG driver has to do is mash the pedal. Wow, a lot of skill, that. :rolleyes:

Steeda30

Clearance Clarence
Established Member
Was just out driving back from getting some lunch on 285 and saw a charcoal S55 AMG, wonder if it's the same one you ran. He didn't seem interested in me. :D

redfire03 svt

Established Member
The one I ran was black, with after market black rims and limo tint. He was all blacked out. Steeda30, were you at the car show at Team Ford on Saterday? Thanks for all the digs guys! I am surprised that I did so well since I never knew that thing was such a beast. Next time I won't let him get the jump, well actually I will be pullied by then, so see ya!!!

Steeda30

Clearance Clarence
Established Member
redfire03 svt said:
The one I ran was black, with after market black rims and limo tint. He was all blacked out. Steeda30, were you at the car show at Team Ford on Saterday? Thanks for all the digs guys! I am surprised that I did so well since I never knew that thing was such a beast. Next time I won't let him get the jump, well actually I will be pullied by then, so see ya!!!

I think I've seen the one you're talking about. I didn't bother going up there on Sat. because of the rain, I figured they would had canceled it, doh. You up for a cruise to the track/mountains sometime? I've been meaning to get back to the track and see if I can lower my 60'/powershift for some better times. I see you have 4.10's in yours, that has to pull like a mofo! :D

redfire03 svt

Established Member
Yes sir!! I love it, and I am getting a 2.93 put on there in a couple of weeks. That should make for fun times!

Steeda30

Clearance Clarence
Established Member
Actually, from what I've heard, the AMG's have a built in launch system that pretty much gives the best possible launch with the given conditions. It's pretty crazy. Just mash it and go, the computer takes care of the throttle modulations required to keep traction. Cheating bastiges! :D

treynor

Confirmed Power Junkie
Established Member
Premium Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Steeda30 said:
Actually, from what I've heard, the AMG's have a built in launch system that pretty much gives the best possible launch with the given conditions. It's pretty crazy. Just mash it and go, the computer takes care of the throttle modulations required to keep traction. Cheating bastiges! :D

It's more than a launch system; the whole traction control system on the AMG benzes is really nice. It's very hard to screw up driving one - hit the gas, let the computer modulate the throttle and control wheelspin individually with each rear brake. I've run an 11.6 sec 1/4 in my ole S class with one hand on the wheel, while talking on the handsfree phone to a Viper buddy (no joke).

Don't hate the car because it's well designed :)

Steeda30

Clearance Clarence
Established Member
treynor said:
It's more than a launch system; the whole traction control system on the AMG benzes is really nice. It's very hard to screw up driving one - hit the gas, let the computer modulate the throttle and control wheelspin individually with each rear brake. I've run an 11.6 sec 1/4 in my ole S class with one hand on the wheel, while talking on the handsfree phone to a Viper buddy (no joke).

Don't hate the car because it's well designed :)

LOL, Treynor you are so f'ing cool. Wish you lived around here, you really seem like a true car enthusiast that really drives his cars like they should be driven. You need to get some video of those beasts of yours sometime!
:-D :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread