S55 AMG Benz vs. 03 cobra

Stormsigma

Went from 6.0 to 5.0!
Established Member
treynor said:
It's more than a launch system; the whole traction control system on the AMG benzes is really nice. It's very hard to screw up driving one - hit the gas, let the computer modulate the throttle and control wheelspin individually with each rear brake. I've run an 11.6 sec 1/4 in my ole S class with one hand on the wheel, while talking on the handsfree phone to a Viper buddy (no joke).

Don't hate the car because it's well designed :)

I don't hate the car. I merely dislike the car because it IS well-designed. Designed to keep the driver uninvolved. If I wanted to be sipping a latte while cruising down the track while listening to Chopin on the CD player at concert hall level, I would.

But sorry, I'd rather be driving a performance car. Not being driven in a luxury barge with a big engine.

Different philosophies. :beer:

treynor

Confirmed Power Junkie
Established Member
Premium Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Let's say rather that the car lets the driver concentrate on things which require human judgement (i.e. corner entry speed, throttle application, etc.) and not worry about those which don't. The new BMW M5, Ferrari F430, etc. work the same way. It's an example of technology improving objective results.

Redfire - mine is a RENNtech SL65 - 680 HP, 890 ft/lbs... your average boring convertible commuter-mobile :)

Stormsigma

Went from 6.0 to 5.0!
Established Member
treynor said:
Let's say rather that the car lets the driver concentrate on things which require human judgement (i.e. corner entry speed, throttle application, etc.) and not worry about those which don't. The new BMW M5, Ferrari F430, etc. work the same way. It's an example of technology improving objective results.

Redfire - mine is a RENNtech SL65 - 680 HP, 890 ft/lbs... your average boring convertible commuter-mobile :)

I'm sorry, but a decent driver can do all of that with any car. A manual equipped car is going to be much more involved. There's really not a viable argument you can give to deny the fact that AMG cars are just luxury barges with big engines.

"Throttle application". I actually got a laugh from that, thanks. :beer:

redfire03 svt

Established Member
Damn Treynor!!! That things must be a beast. Does the Renntech whine like the Eatons? Are those number at the motor or the wheels? I bet you have not had your ass handed to you rolling around in that thing. Nice ride! How does the benz compare to the viper?

treynor

Confirmed Power Junkie
Established Member
Premium Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Stormsigma said:
[...]There's really not a viable argument you can give to deny the fact that AMG cars are just luxury barges with big engines.[...]

You are certainly entitled to your own opinion - even when it is wrong ;-)

Fourcam330

Established Member
99_venum said:
Those things are monsters for a big heavy boat. I ran one with my sprayed Cobra and was impressed with the performance he put out. He told me that it cost a buck twenty and he had headers, full exhaust, pulley and a tune being done next week (that was three weeks ago). I guess I need to go find him and try again. He should be right along side or maybe pulling me a little if he gets the tune right.

Like 2001GTconv said, don't take these things lightly, or you will find yourself in trouble trying to catch up and they won't miss a gear to give you a chance ;-)

BTW Good Kill!

The car you ran would absolutely eat your lunch after those mods.

Stormsigma

Went from 6.0 to 5.0!
Established Member
treynor said:
You are certainly entitled to your own opinion - even when it is wrong ;-)

Seeing as how you're biased because you OWN said luxury barge with a big engine, I think I'll just laugh now so I won't hurt your feelings.

2004SVTSTNG

Banned
Mercedes-Benz : S-Class S55 AMG 2006 Mercedes-Benz S55 AMG /39@$1748.36 $105,100.00
21 22h 38m

(For that price jeez, still 22 hours left in the Auction).

03SoCalCobra

HIGH PSI 03
Established Member
Huntington Beach, CA (h), Culver City (w)
Stormsigma said:
I'm sorry, but a decent driver can do all of that with any car. A manual equipped car is going to be much more involved. There's really not a viable argument you can give to deny the fact that AMG cars are just luxury barges with big engines.

"Throttle application". I actually got a laugh from that, thanks. :beer:

Almost anyone with a serious cars fetish (including me) would absolutly piss all over themselves just being lucky enough to line up against an SL65 at a street light. Nobody can't put up a viable argument because you haven't yet experienced the perspective required to appreciate what it really takes to make a car of that stock power level run that fast with that little effort while retaining that level of modifiability and still be completely streetible.

That's not a bad thing at all; just hope that one day you'll be lucky enough to reach such a level of understanding and the financial success required to obtain it for yourself :beer:

FattyMcTrickle

Established Member
I would think that your SL would be faster then the time in your Sig Treynor, is that an old time or do you have massive traction problems. I would really think that something with 800+ LB/FT would run faster then that even if it was a tank.

TK Doom

Established Member
Before my divorce, the SL55 was going to be mine in 2 years...not a 65 grant you, but one must have a stepping stone.

MB are tough cars to bag on, they are all very nice.

Stormsigma

Went from 6.0 to 5.0!
Established Member
03SoCalCobra said:
Almost anyone with a serious cars fetish (including me) would absolutly piss all over themselves just being lucky enough to line up against an SL65 at a street light. Nobody can't put up a viable argument because you haven't yet experienced the perspective required to appreciate what it really takes to make a car of that stock power level run that fast with that little effort while retaining that level of modifiability and still be completely streetible.

That's not a bad thing at all; just hope that one day you'll be lucky enough to reach such a level of understanding and the financial success required to obtain it for yourself :beer:

First of all, I've driven an SL55. It was nice, but the lack of driver involvement basically guaranteed that I'll never waste the money.

Me personally? I enjoy driving the car. Not allowing a ton of computers do it for me. Wow, line up at the line and press the pedal and you can run consistent times at the track all day. Yeah, because that's fun. If I run a time, I want to know it was a display of my skill, not one of MB's electronic nannies.

I'm sorry that you don't grasp this concept.

USBlueStage2

Established Member
Stormsigma said:
Me personally? I enjoy driving the car. Not allowing a ton of computers do it for me. Wow, line up at the line and press the pedal and you can run consistent times at the track all day. Yeah, because that's fun. If I run a time, I want to know it was a display of my skill, not one of MB's electronic nannies.

Thats why Ferrari allows you to turn off the computer assistance (F430 more so than the outgoing 360) - no waste of money there.

Stormsigma

Went from 6.0 to 5.0!
Established Member
USBlueStage2 said:
Thats why Ferrari allows you to turn off the computer assistance (F430 more so than the outgoing 360) - no waste of money there.

Man, I'd love a Ferrari. :bowdown:

Cobras_Rule

The Terminator Rules
Established Member
Stormsigma said:
First of all, I've driven an SL55. It was nice, but the lack of driver involvement basically guaranteed that I'll never waste the money.

When Treynor wants to "grab some gears" he will just go drive the viper.

Treynor... you still have the S600? and "the yellow one"? :rockon:

Stormsigma

Went from 6.0 to 5.0!
Established Member
Cobras_Rule said:
When Treynor wants to "grab some gears" he will just go drive the viper.

Treynor... you still have the S600? and "the yellow one"? :rockon:

I somehow doubt that. Anyone who enjoys and appreciates the benefits of driving a manual won't be saying things like "the car lets the driver concentrate on things which require human judgement (i.e. corner entry speed, throttle application, etc.)"

Because let's face it, that's complete BS.

Stormsigma

Went from 6.0 to 5.0!
Established Member
One final post here from me. In the interest of not wanting to leave hard feelings, I'd like to clarify that SL55's, and SL65's are indeed beautiful cars. My statements stem entirely from my personal opinions concerning driver involvement. If the SL's were lighter and came with a manual, they'd probably be the perfect car in my eyes. I'm aware that right now, that's a fantasy however, as AMG themselves admitted that they can't make a manual that'll take all the power their engines are giving out. I can respect it, but again, in my personal opinion, I can't really respect a fast car that will do really nice times with little to no driver involvement.

Because it seems to me that at that point, it's merely an appliance. Sure, a fast appliance with a luxurious interior, but an appliance nonetheless.

So, hopefully those of you who disagree with me, can at least see where I'm coming from. I'm not trying to say I hate the car on any general principle, or (as one poster above tried insinuating) because I can't afford it. Because I CAN afford to buy an SL65, but that's not the point.

Orange Poison

Established Member
Stormsigma said:
I don't hate the car. I merely dislike the car because it IS well-designed. Designed to keep the driver uninvolved. If I wanted to be sipping a latte while cruising down the track while listening to Chopin on the CD player at concert hall level, I would.

But sorry, I'd rather be driving a performance car. Not being driven in a luxury barge with a big engine.

Different philosophies. :beer:

:lol: l like that...

Users who are viewing this thread