Safe or not?

TechNine

Muscle Mafia
Established Member
Ok, this is another pulley thread and yes i've searched extensively. Going to be picking up my lightning this week and am planning on getting the pulley bought and ready to go on when I get the truck. Now i've been deciding on the age old question 4 or 6 lb, I really want the 6lb and think this would be a fairly safe setup: LFP quick change 6lb, MAFia and a X cal2 w/ Amazon mail tune. Now Would this be safe enough w/93oct? and yes I know it isn't smart but there aren't any real reputable dyno's around my area so no dyno tune for a while.

Thanks, Jake

junioRace

Established Member
I would go with the 6#. And I would suggest getting a SCT2400 MAF instead of the Diablo, especially since you will have the SCT Xcal. They should be able to tune it fine for 93. (I burn Sunoco 94 in mine, runs like a champ.) You'll definitely want a cold weather tune also. Man, when the temps drop and the air gets dense, the truck feels like you're runing a 12#'er. Gotta learn to keep outta the throttle in that kind of weather or......BOOM.

I agree on the Amazon folks. You won't read anything but good about them.

Last edited:

SVT99RED

Established Member
I would think it will be safe until winter. then you will want a maf extender or a sct maf. A coulpe of people have thrown rods from pegging there 90mm with a 6#er

CHIZ

GeoMetros worse nightmare
Established Member
what's wrong with a 4#...your only going to spin more unless you have slicks or drag radial. If I were you, I'd buy an interchageable and purchase both pulleys.

LIGHTNING LARRY

Retired
Super Moderator
TechNine said:
Ok, this is another pulley thread and yes i've searched extensively. Going to be picking up my lightning this week and am planning on getting the pulley bought and ready to go on when I get the truck. Now i've been deciding on the age old question 4 or 6 lb, I really want the 6lb and think this would be a fairly safe setup: LFP quick change 6lb, MAFia and a X cal2 w/ Amazon mail tune. Now Would this be safe enough w/93oct? and yes I know it isn't smart but there aren't any real reputable dyno's around my area so no dyno tune for a while.

Thanks, Jake

That will be a great set up. Rick knows his stuff.

TechNine

Muscle Mafia
Established Member
Well the truck will be stored when the temps drop below 50 (DAMN MINNESOTA WINTERS). The MAF is my only worry right now I guess I could just get a SCT 2400 right away as 2.3 KB is in my near future. Is there some compatibility issue with the MAFia and Xcal?

Thanks for all the informative replies, Jake

Dusten

Established Member
if there is a dyno in your area, rick can dyno tune your truck remotely, call them and ask about it.

junioRace

Established Member
TechNine said:
Well the truck will be stored when the temps drop below 50 (DAMN MINNESOTA WINTERS). The MAF is my only worry right now I guess I could just get a SCT 2400 right away as 2.3 KB is in my near future. Is there some compatibility issue with the MAFia and Xcal?

Thanks for all the informative replies, Jake
Nah, no compatibility issues. I'm just partial to the SCT stuff.

TechNine

Muscle Mafia
Established Member
Well might as well spend the extra cash and get the 2400 as I am too partial to SCT and it would suit my KB when I get it.

92GreenGT

Turbos FTW!!!
Established Member
Whats the chances of a #4 pulley hurting the truck? With the correct tune will a #4 be 100% reliable as stock? I know some may see it different, but with me I bought my L to use as a daily and I have a mustang to keep as my "fast break shit car". So I only want to put a pulley on the truck if its going to be as reliable as it is stock.

ACSVT

1st Ford
Established Member
I have had my 6lb lower on for almost 40k miles now with no isses. Dyno tuned with the right supporting mods, and you will be good to go. Regaurdless of which pully you get, when it gets cold outside....try to keep your foot off the loud pedal. Even though they run very very well..its dangerous and can cause you to order a built motor earlier than you planned to heh.

Dusten

Established Member
ACSVT said:
I have had my 6lb lower on for almost 40k miles now with no isses. Dyno tuned with the right supporting mods, and you will be good to go. Regaurdless of which pully you get, when it gets cold outside....try to keep your foot off the loud pedal. Even though they run very very well..its dangerous and can cause you to order a built motor earlier than you planned to heh.
if your truck is tuned correctly, and has the supporting mods, weather is not a factor. WIth my tune, maf extender, 4lb lower, and tune from ATS i have no fear of any weather. rain or shine, cold or hot, i drive my truck the same every day.

Derek@Amazon

RTCTTFMF!!!
Established Member
Dusten said:
if your truck is tuned correctly, and has the supporting mods, weather is not a factor. WIth my tune, maf extender, 4lb lower, and tune from ATS i have no fear of any weather. rain or shine, cold or hot, i drive my truck the same every day.

i have a slight fear or rain... :D

Users who are viewing this thread