Samsung T.V.

Blackgeetee

Established Member
Got a Samsung plasma and love it. I could care less what it weighs, since it isn't hanging on the wall. It could weigh 500lbs for all I care. The image quality is excellent. If you get one, make sure you get the anti-glare screen. I think most of them are equipped with that though.

The only thing to worry about with a plasma is the image retention. There are settings though that actually shift the pixels around every so often to help alleviate that issue. Basically, you'll only experience burn-in if you have something paused for a long period of time.

LCDs are nice though too. They are lighter and run cooler. In all reality, they're both pretty damn nice. I think you'll be happy either way.

stangd1909

GO NOLES
Established Member
The only thing to worry about with a plasma is the image retention. There are settings though that actually shift the pixels around every so often to help alleviate that issue. Basically, you'll only experience burn-in if you have something paused for a long period of time.

That was what I was worried about....but I don't play video games so I won't be pausing anything. I think I will go with the plasma...

Thanks everybody for all the help!:beer:

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
I would go LCD, no question about it...plasmas are just a fad...the newer LCDs don't have image blur...

NO-BlkLightning2K

Putin 2016. Yup.
Established Member
That was what I was worried about....but I don't play video games so I won't be pausing anything. I think I will go with the plasma...

Thanks everybody for all the help!:beer:

you might want to consider the 5064. it's 720p, not 1080p, but from what i've read you won't really be able to tell the difference. btw, it's about 500-700 dollars cheaper. i'm pretty certain you only need 1080p for screens 52" and larger.

Blackgeetee

Established Member
Why is weight ever an issue? For most people, that only matters when you're carrying it into the house after you buy it. Even if you want to hang it on a wall, if you anchor it correctly, it really won't matter.

stangd1909

GO NOLES
Established Member
you might want to consider the 5064. it's 720p, not 1080p, but from what i've read you won't really be able to tell the difference. btw, it's about 500-700 dollars cheaper. i'm pretty certain you only need 1080p for screens 52" and larger.

Interesting....I haven't heard that before, but I will check it out. Thanks!

Blackgeetee said:
Why is weight ever an issue? For most people, that only matters when you're carrying it into the house after you buy it. Even if you want to hang it on a wall, if you anchor it correctly, it really won't matter.

I agree... I really don't care about the weight LOL

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I did a lot of research two years ago and bought a Samsung 46" plazma. I'm not sure where people are getting information stating LCDs are equal to or better than plazma TVs. Everything I continue to read says plazma is superior to LCD is most viewing situations. LCDS have come a long way, but they still haven't equalled plazma. Here is a link to a good article comparing plazma to LCD. http://plasmatvbuyingguide.com/plasmatvreviews/plasma-vs-lcd-picture-quality.html

I am very pleased with my Samsung 46" plazma. I've had it over two years and have no image burn-in, which is one downside to plazma. But I honestly think this is more hype than fact in most cases, because we watch widescreen and 4:3 programming so by now I should have seen some image burn-in. The 46" size is great for the room it is in. But a 50" set would be probably even better. It isn't light, of course, but it is still mounted on the wall with a mounting kit. These mounting kits are expensive but they DO work. With a kit there is no reason why a 50" or larger plazma can't be mounted on the wall. My daughter has a Toshiba 60" plazma mounted on her wall. It took both my son-in-law and I to lift it, but these mounting kits are well made and can easily handle the weight. You use hefty toggle screws screwed into your 2X4s so there is no reason why the TV would fall unless the screws are mounted to close to the edges of the 2X4s. I used a stud finder to mark the edges of the 2X4s and drilled square in the middle.

My plazma is "only" a 1080i which was all that was available when I bought it. Be sure to get a 1080p. DO NOT get a 1080i because you'll lose a bit of image quality in some cases. Funny thing is I visited our local Costco and they had a bunch of 1080p sets hooked up, and while the images were excellent I honestly thought my own plazma was as good as far as image quality. So I have no intent to upgrade to a 1080p any time soon.

IMO you can't lose going with either technology. But I do recommend plazma. And Samsung makes an excellent TV. Sony is excellent as well. Best of luck with your quest. You'll soon be enjoying some great HD programming. :)

stangd1909

GO NOLES
Established Member
Thanks Bob for the great feedback, it has helped a lot. I am going to go ahead and get the 50" plasma. I think I will be really happy with it....:rolling:

03cobramanIII

Banned
I am looking at getting either a Plasma or LCD samsung. I am wanting to see if anyone here has either one of these models...and if so how do they like them?

Samsung FP-T5084 50" -Plasma

SAMSUNG - LNT5265F 52" - LCD
man i got a samsung that over 20 years old, never had a prob ex. for remote control. yes H/D tv is coming

DirtyD916

SVT Based God
Established Member
Also add:

Plasma: Heavy as shit... I'd be scared to think of what a 50" plasma would weigh.

its not bad. I have a Vizio 50 inch in my room and my roommate and i can easily lift it up onto my stand. I say it weighs a little under a buck.

NO-BlkLightning2K

Putin 2016. Yup.
Established Member
I did a lot of research two years ago and bought a Samsung 46" plazma. I'm not sure where people are getting information stating LCDs are equal to or better than plazma TVs. Everything I continue to read says plazma is superior to LCD is most viewing situations. LCDS have come a long way, but they still haven't equalled plazma. Here is a link to a good article comparing plazma to LCD. http://plasmatvbuyingguide.com/plasmatvreviews/plasma-vs-lcd-picture-quality.html

I am very pleased with my Samsung 46" plazma. I've had it over two years and have no image burn-in, which is one downside to plazma. But I honestly think this is more hype than fact in most cases, because we watch widescreen and 4:3 programming so by now I should have seen some image burn-in. The 46" size is great for the room it is in. But a 50" set would be probably even better. It isn't light, of course, but it is still mounted on the wall with a mounting kit. These mounting kits are expensive but they DO work. With a kit there is no reason why a 50" or larger plazma can't be mounted on the wall. My daughter has a Toshiba 60" plazma mounted on her wall. It took both my son-in-law and I to lift it, but these mounting kits are well made and can easily handle the weight. You use hefty toggle screws screwed into your 2X4s so there is no reason why the TV would fall unless the screws are mounted to close to the edges of the 2X4s. I used a stud finder to mark the edges of the 2X4s and drilled square in the middle.

My plazma is "only" a 1080i which was all that was available when I bought it. Be sure to get a 1080p. DO NOT get a 1080i because you'll lose a bit of image quality in some cases. Funny thing is I visited our local Costco and they had a bunch of 1080p sets hooked up, and while the images were excellent I honestly thought my own plazma was as good as far as image quality. So I have no intent to upgrade to a 1080p any time soon.

IMO you can't lose going with either technology. But I do recommend plazma. And Samsung makes an excellent TV. Sony is excellent as well. Best of luck with your quest. You'll soon be enjoying some great HD programming. :)

i'm confused. you say only get 1080p, yet your 1080i looks just as good. i say get 720p and save yourself a few hundred bucks.

stangd1909

GO NOLES
Established Member
i'm confused. you say only get 1080p, yet your 1080i looks just as good. i say get 720p and save yourself a few hundred bucks.

Well for me, I went to Best buy and Circuit City last night. I looked at the Samsung plasma in 1080p and 720p. Honestly I couldn't tell a huge difference between the two T.V.'s. The 720p was $195 cheaper though.....but for me it came down to look. I just like the look of the 1080p model better...it has that nice glossy black finish.

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs

Maybe I should have been a bit more clear in what I meant. The 1080p is superior to the 780p, plain and simple. If you go to 780p you're downsizing. I only said my 1080i LOOKED as good. In reality a 1080i does not compare to a 1080p, assuming you're comparing brands of equal quality products. My 1080i is fine for me, but it is definitely not as clean picture wise as a 1080p set of the same size.

Here is some good info that helps explain why 1080p IS the only way to go.

What's so great about 1080p?
1080p resolution--which equates to 1,920x1,080 pixels--is the current Holy Grail of HDTV resolution. That's because most 1080p HDTVs are capable of displaying every pixel of the highest-resolution HD broadcasts. They offer more than twice the resolution of step-down models, which are typically 1,366x768, 1,280x720, or 1,024x768. These days, HDTVs with any of those three of lower resolutions are typically called "720p."

Why is 1080p theoretically better than 1080i?
1080i, the former king of the HDTV hill, actually boasts an identical 1,920x1,080 resolution but conveys the images in an interlaced format (the i in 1080i). In a tube-based television, otherwise known as a CRT, 1080i sources get "painted" on the screen sequentially: the odd-numbered lines of resolution appear on your screen first, followed by the even-numbered lines--all within 1/30 of a second. Progressive-scan formats such as 480p, 720p, and 1080p convey all of the lines of resolution sequentially in a single pass, which makes for a smoother, cleaner image, especially with sports and other motion-intensive content.

AllAccessLock

Ur Licensed SVT Locksmith
Established Member
3 days old, but i have 2 plasma's, both panasonics, 50" and 42"
Plasma's are obviously better colorwise if you look at them side by side in the stores. I've never had a burn in problem and game quite a bit, they do put off heat, but that's no biggie, and like someone said above, who cares what they weigh, once it's where you want it it's there.

oh btw the 42" plasma i just bought 3 days ago and it was only 1100 from circuit city, also a 720p, and it looks great, i can't tell the difference between it and my 50" 1080p, so save your $ and get a 720p, you'll never notice

Users who are viewing this thread