School me on Drag Setups and skinnies

Jbstang87

Established Member
Alright heres my setup

15x8 racestars. Which would be a good slick to put on for a 3.31 manual geared car. From what I've gathered, a 26x10 MT street would work well and it would help driveline shock. Is that right?

Secondly, I am looking at gettin 17x4 racestar fronts with a mh 185/55 17s, but someone somewhere said that running bias plys out back and a skinny radial up front would cause sway. Is that right? Am I better off getting a bias ply in the front? If so which brand/size?

SCalla1384

Established Member
Bias ply fronts will help reduce sway with a bias ply or slick in the rear. There's a reason they make them.

I ran a MT bias ply in my old 2v, had my 17x8 street radials up front and swayed really bad (stock suspension doesn't help either) and let out. Wasn't worth it.

From what I've read, the 185/55 m&h Racemaster radials reduce sway a lot more then a regular radial up front.

But, I decided to trade mine for a set of Phoenix bias ply fronts these right here

4.5/27-17 Phoenix Drag Front

yngrshr

Established Member
Don't run a radial tire with bias ply. It's just not a good idea.

v8stang

Established Member
I had that exact same tire set up front and back and it did sway a little in the top end.
Go with a bias ply on front to be safe. I'd also suggest a 28" rear instead. I had traction problems with the 26" et drag with just tune and h pipe

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
Stock tires in the front with slicks on the rear make my car a handful. The frontrunners which are also a radial calm it right down. I have the 26x6.00-15 MT Sportsman S/R up front and looking to go 28".

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
Just remember that if you are driving a manual, you want a bias ply tires for the rear. You can run a DR, but it's only a matter of time before things start breaking if you if do anything more than a soft launch on a DR.

Jbstang87

Established Member
Thanks for all your informative responses. Just one more question, So a BIAS slick in the rear and a SKINNY radial (M&h 185s) in the front is a BIG no no or a Little No no. It seems like some people say the skinny radials work fine with a rear slick. My number one priority is safety

WHSTLR

TRAKDAY
Established Member
Skinny radials aren't that bad (depending on the track) however, if its a track setup, why not set it up for optimum performance and get the BIAS Ply front runners for a manual car running slicks?

hoodley

Established Member
@ v8 stang.
is that 11.9 in your sig on the 26" slick? i was thinking of trying that tire. what kind of launch did it get u? 60ft?

Jbstang87

Established Member
Skinny radials aren't that bad (depending on the track) however, if its a track setup, why not set it up for optimum performance and get the BIAS Ply front runners for a manual car running slicks?

makes sense. i guess Ill just go skinny bias Slicks up front. Are they all created the same? Recommendations?

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
makes sense. i guess Ill just go skinny bias Slicks up front. Are they all created the same? Recommendations?

Make sure you can find them in the right weight rating. My 26" front skinnies are right at the max with the car on flat ground. Stopping from speed at the track puts considerably more weight on them.

SC_Terminator

Used to own a Boss
Established Member
I run MT ET Street Pros 275/60/15 on the rear and M&H 185/55/17 on the front. And I get some wander and sway at the big end.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread