screwed on my preorder by dishonest dealer

maverikb

Established Member
I preordered my GT500 2 months ago and we agreed in to MSRP. I have it in writing and email.

Now that my car was almost ready, my sales person told me they could no longer sale the car to me at MSRP and instead the GM has said it has to be 15k over MSRP because of demand otherwise I will lose to car.

Because I trusted my dealer and sales person I passed up 2 other opportunities to buy / pre order the car at MSRP that now have already been sold.

The dealers attitude is "sucks for you". They completely wasted my time and now holding my car hostage unless I pay their ADM ransom.

Is this REALLY how Ford treats their customers? Is this really the reputation they want to have?

Are there any honest dealers left? Everyone around me in southern Cali is REFUSING to preorder a car because it "hurts their allotment". And instead are only selling showroom models at 20k+ MSRP.

finsrin

Established Member
Don't roll over and take their beating.
Mail registered hardcopy letter to Alan Mulally.

Include a copy of all you have.

Ask how this measures up to ethics code of FoMoCo and authorized dealers per the following two documents.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...ethical-companies-by-ethisphere-88830282.html

corporate.ford.com/doc/corporate_conduct_standards.pdf

Move out - do it - have in mail by Monday.
If so inclined - send a courtesy copy (CC) to dealer.
Fast action indicates: you are person of action - expect honest ethical business practices - not a push over - have your act together.

I toppled a grossly unethical, lying, cheating, SOB (classical bad guy) of a real estate developer by taking action where others did not challenge his ways. Developer totally lost twice in court. Had it coming.

Last edited:

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
Fight back- you have it in writing.

Unfortunately there are a few really shitty dealers.

Contact Ford- contact your local atty general etc

VaporDude

Established Member
Head up to Galpin Motorsports where Henry Ford III is working right now and tell him your story and show him the documents. He is a really nice guy and I bet he can help you out. While he was in Tulsa, he signed a couple of cars including my wifes dash board on her 05 Mustang GT.

quick-nick

Established Member
If you have everything in writing DEFINITELY stick it to that SOB.

I am scared as heck of having the same thing happen to me.

Make an example out of them.....

bull3441

Established Member
I seriously doubt Ford would care. The dealers are not franchised and they can do what they want. I would however contact the BBB.

03 TOPLESSSVT

Established Member
I seriously doubt Ford would care. The dealers are not franchised and they can do what they want. I would however contact the BBB.

Ford Dealerships ARE franchised and the BBB is a useless organization lol.

mullens

Established Member
Did you put down a deposit? If so, the car is considered "pre-sold" when they place the order rather than inventory. It gives you a little more clout. It appears as if the dealer has broken a written contract. I'm not an attorney but I'm sure there's some kind of relief for this. Dealers like this make me sick.

91svtbird

Established Member
I had something like this happen to me in 2006 with the 07 GT500. Ford said they could do nothing said it was between the dealer and me. Had a large deposit down on the car with MSRP deal in writing. (ADM's were in the 20K range at the time)

After months of going back and forth with Ford over the phone and getting nowhere I had my lawyer send out a letter to the State Attorney General explaining the situation.

Long story short...within two weeks of sending that letter I received a call from the same person at Ford (who previously told me there was nothing they, FMCO, could do). He told me they were going to build a car for me and that I should call that dealer and tell him exactly what I wanted for options and the dealer would now be honoring the MSRP seal originally agreed upon. Within three weeks of that phone cal from Ford the car I ordered was sitting in my garage at home.

Today that dealer is no longer a Ford dealer :loser:and that State Att Gen is a state Senator here in CT.....:beer:

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
I had something like this happen to me in 2006 with the 07 GT500. Ford said they could do nothing said it was between the dealer and me. Had a large deposit down on the car with MSRP deal in writing. (ADM's were in the 20K range at the time)

After months of going back and forth with Ford over the phone and getting nowhere I had my lawyer send out a letter to the State Attorney General explaining the situation.

Long story short...within two weeks of sending that letter I received a call from the same person at Ford (who previously told me there was nothing they, FMCO, could do). He told me they were going to build a car for me and that I should call that dealer and tell him exactly what I wanted for options and the dealer would now be honoring the MSRP seal originally agreed upon. Within three weeks of that phone cal from Ford the car I ordered was sitting in my garage at home.

Today that dealer is no longer a Ford dealer :loser:and that State Att Gen is a state Senator here in CT.....:beer:

great example!

OP you should not just sit back, having it writing is HUGE! talk to someone and raise hell...if it was me I might have been arrested.....:lol1:

bull3441

Established Member
Ford Dealerships ARE franchised and the BBB is a useless organization lol.
BBB is useless, but Ford is not franchised. Ford dealership in the family. There's a "Franchise license" but it ends there. Ford couldn't give a damn what the dealer sells the car for. To be more clear, Ford is not Franchised like say a McDonald's where corporate care. I feel bad for the OP as I hate seeing crap like this. FWIW "The Family" wouldn't sell me a '13 for MSRP LOL. The all suck.

Last edited:

jbs$

Established Member
You have reveived two effective pieces of advice: File a complaint with which ever State agency that regulates car dealers and/or consumer relations. Next, contact Ford, then write a letter to your local news paper, using the same short, effective words that you did here.

Snoopy49

Established Member
I lost my local dealer to unethical and questionable business practices. Ford pulled his franchise license and he shutdown. So Ford does have the ability to pressure a dealer into doing the right thing, if it is in Ford Corporates best interest. You just need to convince Ford Corporate that your dealer threatens their image.

Last edited:

COBRA MAN OF UT

F...UR SUPRA @ GTR
Established Member
+1 to go see henry ford with your documented proof dont take this at all..... Would that not be cool to have him walk into that dealers office have your camera ready cause the shock factor would certainly be photo worthy.

maverikb

Established Member
I never put any money down, which i thought was strange even though I insisted on it. They said there was no point because either way they wouldn't cash the check until the car arrived. I can now see why they did that.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll look into over the next few days and see what I can do. I've already filed a complaint with the BBB and also a bad review on yelp.

I'm one of those guys who try to think people don't intentionally want to screw you. The sales person said its the GM, that the markup is because they never had allocation (Which they told me they did) and would have to buy allocation from their sister store. My biggest issue with that is that they NEVER SHOULD HAVE TAKEN MY ORDER and stalled me for two months.

I did try calling ford and all I got was "that sucks, call around" from their customer service. I'll see if I can escalate it.

Svt Fox

Established Member
I would get a lawyer at this point. Take them to court, get a judgement in your favor so you can purchase the car at msrp, make them pay your attorney fees and court costs.

It might be the long way around the barn but, if you have it in writing, that is a contract and going to court will guarantee results.

Users who are viewing this thread