SCT data logging issue, not recognizing handheld

Status
Not open for further replies.

DSGWhippedSnake

Right you are ken
Established Member
I data-logged my car today and downloaded all the SCT programs needed to do it. That all went smoothly and the programs are now on my computer however it will not detect my tuner. I've tried the troubleshooting tips but I haven't gotten anywhere. I've tried unplugging and re-plugging it in a bunch of times and it just will not do anything. Also tried updating the tuner and still got nothin. Any ideas?

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
If you get a message like that this always works for me (granted I have already datalogged with my laptop and know that my drivers are installed but SCT products are still a PITA)
1. make sure your handheld is plugged into the same USB port on your computer everytime
2. If a Tuner was plugged in before the software was installed it may be necessary to install the drivers manually. A sign of this is if you see Errors coming up when trying to use the functions of the X3/Livewire Updater. "Device Communication Failed" “Failed to Write Data” "Connect Livewire" or others. To Check this out, have the tuner plugged in. First confirm the SCT programmer is securely connected on both the programmer usb port and the computer usb port. If you are still receiving this error, disconnect the usb from the computer and reconnect to a different usb port. Give time for the drivers to install. If you are still receiving this error you will need to manually update/install the drivers in the device manager. To enter the device manger, click on the windows start icon, for XP computers click on run, for windows 7 simply type in the search bar: DEVMGMT.MSC, again that is DEVMGMT.MSC. Once the device manager is open, look for any icons with a yellow question mark or exclamation mark on them. Right click on the item listed next to the yellow mark, and select Update Driver. At the question: Can Windows connect to Windows Update to Search for Software, select No, Not this time, click next. At the question: What do you want the wizard to do, select Install the software automatically. Wait for the driver install to complete, accepting any pop ups that appear. Drivers should now be installed and the software should work properly. NOTE: This will only work if the software has been installed.

In Device Manager it should be listed in either the Jungo category or Other

DSGWhippedSnake

Right you are ken
Established Member
If you get a message like that this always works for me (granted I have already datalogged with my laptop and know that my drivers are installed but SCT products are still a PITA)
1. make sure your handheld is plugged into the same USB port on your computer everytime
2. If a Tuner was plugged in before the software was installed it may be necessary to install the drivers manually. A sign of this is if you see Errors coming up when trying to use the functions of the X3/Livewire Updater. "Device Communication Failed" “Failed to Write Data” "Connect Livewire" or others. To Check this out, have the tuner plugged in. First confirm the SCT programmer is securely connected on both the programmer usb port and the computer usb port. If you are still receiving this error, disconnect the usb from the computer and reconnect to a different usb port. Give time for the drivers to install. If you are still receiving this error you will need to manually update/install the drivers in the device manager. To enter the device manger, click on the windows start icon, for XP computers click on run, for windows 7 simply type in the search bar: DEVMGMT.MSC, again that is DEVMGMT.MSC. Once the device manager is open, look for any icons with a yellow question mark or exclamation mark on them. Right click on the item listed next to the yellow mark, and select Update Driver. At the question: Can Windows connect to Windows Update to Search for Software, select No, Not this time, click next. At the question: What do you want the wizard to do, select Install the software automatically. Wait for the driver install to complete, accepting any pop ups that appear. Drivers should now be installed and the software should work properly. NOTE: This will only work if the software has been installed.

In Device Manager it should be listed in either the Jungo category or Other

I just gave it another shot, the drivers are installed and the device shows up under jungo now which it did not before. But livelink is still not detecting the device on step 2 where it says check communication :shrug: now what?

Jason1652

Established Member
I just gave it another shot, the drivers are installed and the device shows up under jungo now which it did not before. But livelink is still not detecting the device on step 2 where it says check communication :shrug: now what?

I have been having the same issue. Did you ever figure this out?

DSGWhippedSnake

Right you are ken
Established Member
Nope never figured it out. I ended up just giving my xcal to tuner and he got the tune on there for me. I'm gonna imagine the problem is my computer, I tried it again recently and it still gave me the same trouble

Silver_Serpent

Established Member
I would like to bump this back up as I am having the exact same issue. Everything installed right ... cant get device updater or livelink to "see" the device.

Anyone figured out what the fix is yet? ... or know what SCT did when they logged in remotely to fix it?

stevo2jz

Established Member
Hey what operating system is on the computer you are trying to connect to? I had the same problems with one of my computers that had windows 7 on it. My other two laptops with vista and xp work perfectly.

Steve_S

Established Member
I would like to bump this back up as I am having the exact same issue. Everything installed right ... cant get device updater or livelink to "see" the device.

Anyone figured out what the fix is yet? ... or know what SCT did when they logged in remotely to fix it?

Had the same issue with my XP laptop. had to call SCT for a remote install. I asked what he did and he said one of the files was only half the size it needed to be. Other than that he wouldn't elaborate.

MrCaliKrome

Established Member
I just gave it another shot, the drivers are installed and the device shows up under jungo now which it did not before. But livelink is still not detecting the device on step 2 where it says check communication
shrug.gif
now what?

Nope never figured it out. I ended up just giving my xcal to tuner and he got the tune on there for me. I'm gonna imagine the problem is my computer, I tried it again recently and it still gave me the same trouble

I ran into the same exact two issues:

1. Getting the driver installed right or getting the right one installed, I just banged my head against the wall trying different things until I figured it out (real annoying). :bash:
  2. Getting livelink to detect your device in Step 2 is likely the process in which you are connecting i.e. the "order of operations" may be out of synch.

• For me it was an annoying simple #User_Error fix :??: that I finally figured out by banging my head against the wall enough by connecting the handheld and laptop and turning the key in a specific order.
I don't have the car with me, so I can't confirm the correct order of operations.

Needless to say I feel everyone's pain who has run into these two annoying issues. :fm:

MrCaliKrome

Established Member
Getting livelink to detect your device in Step 2 is likely the process in which you are connecting i.e. the "order of operations" may be out of synch.
  • For me it was an annoying simple #User_Error fix :??: that I finally figured out by banging my head against the wall enough by connecting the handheld and laptop and turning the key in a specific order.
I don't have the car with me, so I can't confirm the correct order of operations.

Needless to say I feel everyone's pain who has run into these two annoying issues. :fm:

Ok, so the correct order of operations:

1. Open LiveLink on your Laptop
  2. Connect the SCT to the Laptop via USB
  3. Now plug in SCT to car via OBDII connection under the dash
  4. Turn the key to the on position (don't have to start it)
  5. Click the "Comm" button in the Home menu on LiveLink and then click "Check Communcation" on the screen (I had to click it a couple times before it read my SCT)
It seems so obvious and simple and yes there are instructions to guide you in the LiveLink, but for whatever reason, I kept doing something out of order and had a ton of trouble until I figured out that you can't just "plug everything in" and have it work. For whatever reason, it needs a precise order of operations.

mechanicboy

Established Member
Bump. I was able to get it connected to my computer before I reformated now I can't. Installed every update known and just updated the sct software and still won't connect.

Tried the device manager trick, change usb, fully uninstall everything redownload to install from scratch, still nothing. I have other laptops but their batterys won't last 5 minutes and I want to be able to datalog for Shaun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread