SCT tuner question... Added O/R X-pipe

94cobramike

Established Member
Hello all

I just added a 3" offroad xpipe to my GT500, rather than my stock 2.5" w cats..
Now that it is on there, it sounds great!! BUT i feel like i lost power because of it... and i am pretty sure that it's running rich now (i can smell gas coming out of my tail pipes)

The question is, is there anything in my SCT tuner that i can do to decrease fuel or something? increase timing maybe, to regain my power and get rid of the fuel waste?

Mods are :
JLT intake
twin 66mm throttle body
2.6" pulley
3" o/r X-pipe
3" magnaflow mid pipe back
current custom tune is for 91 octane fuel.. (bought the car from AZ) But i run 93 octane here in OHIO,,,
there is also a custum tune on the SCT for 100 octane fuel..

THANKS!!!

mullens

Established Member
There is a parameter to adjust fuel but I wouldn't mess with it until you get an accurate A/F reading. Smelling fuel doesn't mean a thing and I don't think changing your X-pipe changes your A/F. Your loss of power is due to a slight loss of low end torque that occurs when you open up the exhaust. Leaning it out by feel can be disasterous, so get that reading first.

Last edited:

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
if your tune is unlocked you could mess with the A/F settings. Better would be to have the original tune adjusted for the mod. Its a simple thing and you'll now it's done right.

Robertt305

Devil Dog
Established Member
I'd think removing cats would make you go leaner not richer....

Maybe she's going too lean and that's y u feel the power loss...

Def need a wideband..

Gas smell from catless cars is normal... Even when running rich you'll still smell the fuel...

O/R xpipe and race fuel = priceless !!!!!

Van@RevanRacing

Hello all

I just added a 3" offroad xpipe to my GT500, rather than my stock 2.5" w cats..
Now that it is on there, it sounds great!! BUT i feel like i lost power because of it... and i am pretty sure that it's running rich now (i can smell gas coming out of my tail pipes)

The question is, is there anything in my SCT tuner that i can do to decrease fuel or something? increase timing maybe, to regain my power and get rid of the fuel waste?

Mods are :
JLT intake
twin 66mm throttle body
2.6" pulley
3" o/r X-pipe
3" magnaflow mid pipe back
current custom tune is for 91 octane fuel.. (bought the car from AZ) But i run 93 octane here in OHIO,,,
there is also a custum tune on the SCT for 100 octane fuel..

THANKS!!!

You should consider giving Brady at Pick Ups Plus Cars a call Pickups Plus Cars - Car Accessories/Truck Accessories/SUV Accessories in Columbus, Hilliard & Lewis Center Ohio. Automotive Dyno Tuning GET ACCESSORIZED! and dyno tune the vehicle or call Paul at Thrill Ride Unlimited Thrill Ride Unlimited for a dyno tune. Whichever is closest. They both know what they are doing and have very good resources.

Tell em' Van sent you. Go to whomever is closest and get that car dialed in.

Van

94cobramike

Established Member
Thanks Guys!

I also would have thought that removing the cats would make it go lean.. But i guess i dont know really

Any suggestions on a wideband sensor? I would be nice to have anyway... But i'll probably just end up getting it tuned by someone up here eventually.. Van, thanks for the suggestions.

Dshavers

Established Member
Defiently don't adjust the tune without being on a dyno. I installed an offroad pipe and felt like I lost power. I lost my low end torque, but actually gained a few ponies further up the powerband. My a/f was a bit leaner as well.

Users who are viewing this thread