Security System Advice- what do you rec or use!

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
alarms are worthless and a waste of money. I recommend:
#1) guns
#2) cameras with DVR recording
#3) guard dogs
#4) visual signs/warnings

Bingo, would not waste money on monitoring, its way overpriced in most areas. The NVR/DVR systems are fairly inexpensive and easy to setup. They can also send you email/text notification on movement etc. You can install some noise makers too, break glass/door sensors etc.

carrrnuttt

My shit don't stink
Established Member
I went with Alarm.com and used one of their installers. You can go on their site and view all the compatible hardware here: Alarm.com

They have an app that allows you to control the alarm panel, cameras, locks, smart outlets, lights, garage door, etc. I was just on a cruise and had different access codes for three different people who watched my dogs. I got an alert every time someone disarmed the panel, who disarmed it, and the panel takes a photo of the person. One even forgot to arm it when he left so I did so from hundreds of miles away in the ocean (anywhere you have wifi). My brother in law recommended it and his house is ridiculous and fully automated.

Here's the panel I have, which sends a cell signal as soon as the alarm goes off. If there is not a follow up signal showing the panel was disarmed, meaning if someone smashed the panel or control box, the police will come.
View attachment 1568804

I have the exact same setup.

My control panel also has a 72hr battery backup, as well as its own sim card and cell signal so there aren't any lines to cut.

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
We have an unmonitored system, all windows and doors, first floor motion sensor and a glass break sensor. That and the alarm stickers on all first floor windows and doors, honestly, if they ignore those they're going to break in anyway.

jrandy

Established Member
I have a few Ring cameras, but I've been really disappointed by the quality and reliability of them. One of the things that's been on my list to upgrade at some point.

quad

Established Member
alarms are worthless and a waste of money. I recommend:
#1) guns
#2) cameras with DVR recording
#3) guard dogs
#4) visual signs/warnings
I agree. But an alarm is useful if it alerts the alarm company and local police via cellular.

Our Xfinity alarm was set off by a squirrel or rabbit in the back yard (I forgot to close the blinds and the movement was picked up). We got a phone call from Xfinity and my phone app alerted me at the same time. The police were at the house within minutes. They checked everything out and notified Xfinity all was in order.

Machdup1

Established Member
Alarms

Cameras

Neighbors

And the welcoming committee.

69b6f996958319af7a8b760390c248a0.jpg

10 rds of 12 gauge 00

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Iamchris

Shakey Snake
Established Member
Cameras, guns, two bullies and a shepherd. Honestly, I'm cool with the dogs getting involved if it is my wife or son home (although my wife carries and shoots too), but I don't like the idea of using dogs for home defense. In most cases I would leave the dogs in the room and handle the situation myself.

PC03GT

Established Member
How is that working out for you? I tried a similar setup at the local range and it jammed periodically. I cant trust my safety to an unreliable weapon.
You have to shoot a heavy load, the hotter the round the better it shoots

Users who are viewing this thread